BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #45
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Transmission aside, that other car is a huge downgrade IMO so why even consider the trade? My choice is DCT all day long on this car anyway because I think the 6MT is average to poor as far as MTs go and has the same feel as a 2002 Elantra 5MT I owned for a year. Keep your car, it's a great find.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #46
Kamen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Probably the best way to find out for yourself is to drive both. Before buying my M3, I drove a DCT and a manual. To me the manual was almost like a different car - so much more fun. As it was mentioned, the DCT smoothes the driving experience, which could be a good thing, but if you are looking for more fun - the manual is the better choice.
Appreciate 1
ualdrivr158.50
      08-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #47
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

If I can do it again, dct
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #48
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
Funny.

My neighbor (owns a cayman S) noticed my recently purchased E93 a few weeks go and as he sits on his porch while I do stuff outside around the house, he remarks "nice day to take your car out for a ride."

He first saw it when I had to pull it out of the garage to get my ladder out to clean the gutters.

Then his wife gets into the conversation: "Oh, is it an automatic (IOW: are you a eunuch?)?"

me: "No, 6MT."

her: "ohhhhhh, nice...my sons like driving their manuals...."

I'm not sure if neighbor's cayman is a manual, but he seems dying to want to drive my vert.
Haha, pretty much sums it up. I've offered GROWN men the opportunity to drive my M - only to see the look of embarrassment on their face when they admit they can't drive a manual. I just look through them like a disappointed dad...
      08-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #49
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

2 pedals is for bicycles
Appreciate 2
Ngilbe361618.50
Bimmed Out1908.50
      08-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #50
Prefontaine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBF18 View Post
Haha, pretty much sums it up. I've offered GROWN men the opportunity to drive my M - only to see the look of embarrassment on their face when they admit they can't drive a manual. I just look through them like a disappointed dad...
This.

I have a coworker who has a 335i (E90 gen) and loves it. He saw my M3 and his eyes lit up, mentioned it was the last of the NA M cars, and rattled off all the cool numbers and attributes of the S65. He was clearly a fan. I offered him a drive...

"I'd love to, but I'm not really comfortable driving manual."
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #51
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have had both e90 DCT and e92 6MT and I can tell you that I was never in love with 6MT. It is just doesn't feel right. When I had DCT, I had a blast specially when downshifting.

For some reason the 6MT didn't feel awesome, specially 1st to 2nd gear shift. Unlike other cars I have driven including S2K and 911
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #52
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Some of these guys are acting like driving a manual is some lost art akin to weaving straw into gold. Why can this never be a civil discussion?

The e9x m3 honestly has a lackluster manual experience without replacing the entire shifter and clutch pedal assembly. Rubbery and vague.
Appreciate 1
Not Sure212.50
      08-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #53
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munichm3 View Post
Blah blah blah, let the man choose what he wants. Your claims on the DCT being unreliable is blatantly false. They're so reliable you can find the DCT transmission for under 2K because they're in very low demand.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364250 One example of many

They outlast the 6MT clutch depending how you drive it, fun is dependent on the person. I prefer the DCT to be funner, practical, and reliable. It's sooo terrible to have a perfect downshift each time. Gosh, how terrible it is to be able to not have to worry about being stuck in traffic and constantly jerking the cars dick off.

Heavier than a manual? Big deal, lose the extra 45LB off your belly.

Less manuals produced? Maybe people preferred the DCT? Sorry to break it to you buddy, but only on the forums people usually want the manual. Look everywhere else, sheesh look at the f80 forums. Majority of the people get fully loaded DCT cars. I wonder why....

Anyways, OP stick with your car and not waste the money. Use it for something else. Like when your DCT pan "Leaks"
I beg to differ with you...
First of all, DCT is for pussies...a REAL Man wouldn't be caught dead in a DCT car...PERIOD. If you want to be a REAL Man, you must master the ancient art of heel-toe shifting while you slam the short shifter in and out...any fly boi can do paddle shifting but only REAL Men can do the correct gearing with minute precision in a manual transmission.
I mean why would any rational, sane, adult want to get a DCT and have options, when they could have manual and not need an option? Plus, I'll bet your car has sunroof, back seats, turn signals, nav, comfort access, and all those other unnecessary things that weigh the car down...NOT ME. The first thing I did was to strip the car down to bare metal, get rid of everything to make it hundreds of pounds lighter. I mean all that weight saving will serve me well when I'm playing Johnny Race Car driver and beat the other Rice Rockets to the Seven-Eleven...
Finally, about those 45 lbs off my belly...I eat double deepfried Twinkies, and yes, get the Jumbo Fries with my Triple Cheese Burger and 64oz Soda....you got a problem with that pinky?
Appreciate 3
Munichm3345.50
BOOF-M34451.50
Ngilbe361618.50
      08-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #54
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Transmission aside, that other car is a huge downgrade IMO so why even consider the trade? My choice is DCT all day long on this car anyway because I think the 6MT is average to poor as far as MTs go and has the same feel as a 2002 Elantra 5MT I owned for a year. Keep your car, it's a great find.
Actually, my 2006 5mt hyundai elantra shifts quite a bit smoother than my 6mt e90 m3. I wish it wasn't so..

Last edited by srmast1; 08-06-2017 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
Transfer5254.00
      08-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #55
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

6MT...you'll be forced to go DCT soon enough, enjoy it while it's around.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #56
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
First of all, DCT is for pussies...a REAL Man wouldn't be caught dead in a DCT car...PERIOD. If you want to be a REAL Man, you must master the ancient art of heel-toe shifting while you slam the short shifter in and out...any fly boi can do paddle shifting but only REAL Men can do the correct gearing with minute precision in a manual transmission.
I mean why would any rational, sane, adult want to get a DCT and have options, when they could have manual and not need an option? Plus, I'll bet your car has sunroof, back seats, turn signals, nav, comfort access, and all those other unnecessary things that weigh the car down...NOT ME. The first thing I did was to strip the car down to bare metal, get rid of everything to make it hundreds of pounds lighter. I mean all that weight saving will serve me well when I'm playing Johnny Race Car driver and beat the other Rice Rockets to the Seven-Eleven...
Finally, about those 45 lbs off my belly...I eat double deepfried Twinkies, and yes, get the Jumbo Fries with my Triple Cheese Burger and 64oz Soda....you got a problem with that pinky?
.............! Haven't seen you for a bit man, missed your anectodes!
Appreciate 2
ualdrivr158.50
      08-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #57
Koo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

Get the UUC short shifter kit and the car feels much better!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #58
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
ualdrivr158.50
      08-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #59
sleestak
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

So I will say this and hate to sound so Switzerland but here goes. I've been driving BMW's for several years now like many of you and by far the E9x has been my absolute favorite. Since getting rid of my 2008 E92 stripper several years back I started longing for another one.

Up to a couple months ago (when I was back on the market), I really didn't care if it was 6MT or DCT. Just give me a solid E92.

So I did a search based on my preferences to nationwide, coupe, no more than 50,000(ish miles), 08-13, manual AND auto. Oh, I then reduced it by my interior and exterior color preferences. Say black for example. Search results are 25 and even less than that if you consider no accidents/one owner cars, (if you're a complete drama queen like me!) This all leads me to believe these cars are becoming seriously rare, becoming even more rare no matter what transmission you prefer! Can you always find an M3 that's suitable for you? Absolutely, but my preferences show very limited numbers.

By the way out of 25,672 E9x's 08-13 sold in the USA/Canada market there are 371 for sale in the US on cars.com

Will the F80's become the demand later down the road? God help us!

Last edited by sleestak; 08-06-2017 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #60
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
I'm baffled why someone would purchase a weekend sporting car and not want the most involved version of said vehicle.

Plus: Words I've never said or heard a bro say "Oh cool, you went with the automatic...".

Last: I drove a DCT M2 a few months ago and it was cool...for about five minutes and then I was bored. Literally didn't know what to do with my hands...
I get that argument BGBF18, I absolutely do. But then we could say why would you purchase a weekend sports car that isn't the fastest possible model one could get? I don't care how well one can pedal a car, DCT will get you through 7 gears to 155 quicker than 6MT. I cant figure out why the 6MT guys basically crucify us when all we are saying is it's a better transmission/experience etc for us. We didn't accidentally buy cars with DCT. I drove several 6MT and just found it to be lacking. Probably the same way some of you find the DCT to be lacking. But I would never question why you guys are driving them.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #61
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
I get that argument BGBF18, I absolutely do. But then we could say why would you purchase a weekend sports car that isn't the fastest possible model one could get? I don't care how well one can pedal a car, DCT will get you through 7 gears to 155 quicker than 6MT. I cant figure out why the 6MT guys basically crucify us when all we are saying is it's a better transmission/experience etc for us. We didn't accidentally buy cars with DCT. I drove several 6MT and just found it to be lacking. Probably the same way some of you find the DCT to be lacking. But I would never question why you guys are driving them.
I'm a 6mt guy, but sometimes I wish I had a free hand to say..hold a sandwich. But yeah the DCT is just too convenient and uninvolving for us MT people. Rowing through the gears is alot of fun and there is something about the back and forth/side to side movement of my shifting arm + heel toe that I just can't get enough of. If there was less notchiness, it would be even more fun. DCT is smooth, faster and awesome for sure, it's just missing that visceral manual shift feel that us MT people crave.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34451.50
zipper228201.50
      08-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #62
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
Quote:
I'm a 6mt guy, but sometimes I wish I had a free hand to say..hold a sandwich. But yeah the DCT is just too convenient and uninvolving for us MT people. Rowing through the gears is alot of fun and there is something about the back and forth/side to side movement of my shifting arm + heel toe that I just can't get enough of. If there was less notchiness, it would be even more fun. DCT is smooth, faster and awesome for sure, it's just missing that visceral manual shift feel that us MT people crave.
Perfectly explained, agree to disagree. I owe you a beer. Unless you order a light beer then we can argue about that
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #63
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Perfectly explained, agree to disagree. I owe you a beer. Unless you order a light beer then we can argue about that
Lololol..

But no really BOOF, I completely agree with you. There is no conclusion for this MT vs DCT thing. It's just a matter of personal taste which, really can't be argued.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #64
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Is this BOOF being the voice or reason? Say it isnt so!!!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      08-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #65
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Brother, this is light banter my friend - just stirring the pot. I love that the people on this board are enthusiastic about their gear (making us enthusiasts? Perhaps...)

I can't afford multiple M3s at the moment, but if I could, one would probably be a dual-clutch of some sort.

Certainly if I were intending to track it, the DCT would be a no-brainer.

Enjoy your M in good health and don't go too fast on those Tampa bridges!
      08-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #66
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Brother, this is light banter my friend - just stirring the pot. I love that the people on this board are enthusiastic about their gear (making us enthusiasts? Perhaps...)

I can't afford multiple M3s at the moment, but if I could, one would probably be a dual-clutch of some sort.

Certainly if I were intending to track it, the DCT would be a no-brainer.

Enjoy your M in good health and don't go too fast on those Tampa bridges!
Touché. I can't afford two either which is why I talked my old lady into buying one also. If you are in the Tampa area I'm in South Pasadena. No love for the M3 on this side of the bridge. We need to get a cruise going. DCT cars up front so that we don't accidentally smack your rear bumpers on take off.
Appreciate 0