BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #23
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: MDX as my daily @blast_1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
I got confort access. just replace the remote key battery when the low battery message shows up. it is 2$ in CVS or buy from amazon. lasts about 1.5 yrs

I have a mobile question. How do I replace the battery on my key?!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #24
EPOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nope, the non-CA fob is from a thread started on E90post. Eventually the rechargeable battery in the non-CA fob wears out and won't hold a charge anymore. It's a DIY that someone posted on swapping out the soldered battery...which as you can see is only ONE battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #25
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Good information. Thanks for finding that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOS View Post
Nope, the non-CA fob is from a thread started on E90post. Eventually the rechargeable battery in the non-CA fob wears out and won't hold a charge anymore. It's a DIY that someone posted on swapping out the soldered battery...which as you can see is only ONE battery.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #26
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: MDX as my daily @blast_1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast1st View Post
I have a noobie question. How do I replace the battery on my key?!

Never mind I found this vid in youtube.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #27
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

My fiancé's car is a fully loaded e92 including Comfort Access and when we got it from Momentum BMW in Houston we had 2 salesmen helping us and at 2 different times they each told us to make sure to charge the key for the reasons your SA told you.

I've never had any reason to question this until seeing this thread. We've only had the fob in the slot for maybe a hour total since she got the car in Nov of last year.

Not really sure now lol.

Last edited by Nola 32/65; 08-08-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #28
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Dealer staff are general public in disguise.

Do not take their remarks seriously.

Just go with what makes sense.

The key from your 11 M3 is just like everyone else's here and the single battery is readily replaced.

The SA and his handy crew are talking old news... Related to a non-comfort access platform.

They are general, absolute and hard faced when challenged. None if the people at a dealer are engineers or development personnel. They do not really know anything, except some misplaced facts memorized by rote.

My latest purchase included a set of two keys just like yours and the sales guy swore one key was failing.

I replaced the battery on both. And one day, one of the keys lost its settings. It turns out the CA keys on the 08 M3 lose their programming if you lock them in the car with the removable hard key. The 'same' key that comes with my 11 X5M never has this issue.

So, the moral: I isolated the single instance when my defective key becomes defective. The dealer had locked one of the keys in my 08 and that is why it would later appear to be failing. And this goes to prove they know very little.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #29
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

"I think I would rely on what BMW has on printed rather than the forum. "

Seriously? BMW has never shown anywhere that the CA key has two batteries. That dealer has misinterpreted "what BMW has printed" and then pushed that incorrect information to you and assigning it to BMW. Sad really.

I wonder if they'll actually admit it when they are clearly wrong. If not, you know you're dealing with the wrong dealership.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #30
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

And now a note to the actual issue! Which pocket do you keep your key in when driving? Right pocket by chance? I do - and I get the warning from time to time. The antenna for the CA sensor is located near the OBD port on the knee kick panel I believe. I thought I stumbled across it when installing my radar detector. Judging by the purported location (someone please confirm) your body and keys could be blocking the signal. For me, to just wiggle the keys a bit gets the message off the screen. Just happens from time to time - more with a stale battery.

And the gist of the thread is correct - there is NO battery on the ICB. The only battery is the replaceable button batter which does not charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #31
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
Me:

XXXX,

Thanks for getting back to me with this information. I will review it once I get home from work but I still am trying to see where this so called internal rechargeable battery is on the inside. On my link I provided it does not appear to have a battery soldered on the circuit board hence the reason for my questioning this.

Once I review I will see what other FORUM members have to say.

Thank you,

Eric

Sent from my iPhone

SA:

Eric,

I think I would rely on what BMW has on printed rather than the forum. Let me know if you have any other concerns. I’m glad to hear the noise in gone.

Have a good day,

XXXX

The E90 Complete Vehicle Technical Manual is correct. The Shop Foreman is just pulling information from two different sections and saying they are correct about "dual" batteries. Below is the link to the technical manual. You will notice in the Table of Contents there is a section titled "Central Locking System" which includes page 27 they provided as the second screen capture. This is NOT discussing the Comfort Access System.

In the next section in the Table of Contents there is a section titled "Comfort Access" this is where page 43 (the first screen capture provided) is located. This section clearly describes the CA style Identification Transmitter and battery arrangement.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...3&d=1311515642

The tech or shop forman just did a quick search for "Comfort Access" in the BMW Technical Service Information as seen in the screen capture but didn't really "filter" what he was reading.

To be fair modern BMW technicians have to be speed readers and digest 1000's of pages of information to be able to earn a living. We're sitting at our computers relaxed tossing around technical tidbits. As an automotive instructor for 41 years I have had the opportunity to attend BMW (and other mfg's) training and externships. The current rate of new systems and information that technicians must deal with always makes me a little sympathetic to an occasional misunderstanding. Give the dealer team some love and get studying the technical manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #32
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Thanks guys for all your input. I hope the SA and shop foreman follows this thread as I have provided them with the link. All I would like to hear is that they were wrong and that everyone else out here was correct including myself. I highly doubt that will happen but you never know.

By their claim that I need to put it in the charging slot from time to time is like a placebo. You would believe it is doing something because someone told you it is.

I also keep the fob in my right pocket as my wallet stays in the left .

It really sounded stupid when they were explaining to me that there is another rechargeable battery in the remote.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #33
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Like I said, I was told it was rechargeable too from a BMW dealership in Houston. Kind of odd that 4 different BMW employees would all think the same thing, I'm sure theirs more too.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #34
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

I have been confused about this in the past. I have gotten the low charge key notice alert thing before also when I have my key in my pocket. I pull it out and put in the slot and the message goes away.

But , right now I am driving a 2014 328 loaner while my M3 is in the shop and it has comfort access and it doesn't even have the slot for the key FOB. Once I get in the car if I still have the FOB in my hand I just throw it in the cup holders. No place to put it and definitely no place to charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #35
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola 32/65 View Post
Like I said, I was told it was rechargeable too from a BMW dealership in Houston. Kind of odd that 4 different BMW employees would all think the same thing, I'm sure theirs more too.
Remember that 3 of those were not Service Technicians or Shop Foreman level employees that would be trained and provided the Technical Service Information for study.

I had a sales associate say that the M3 has run flat tires when I purchased in 2008. On a recent visit to see a F80 M3 the sales associate did not know that the M-DCT shift levels could be adjusted with the switch (Drivelogic program selector button) near the shifter. We have another thread on all those type statements. This is not just a BMW problem and has been the norm for years.
As we see the sales numbers for BMW climb every month, remember where are the additional trained technicians coming from?
It is currently difficult to find qualified people to repair the technical level of vehicles we drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #36
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
Remember that 3 of those were not Service Technicians or Shop Foreman level employees that would be trained and provided the Technical Service Information for study.

I had a sales associate say that the M3 has run flat tires when I purchased in 2008. On a recent visit to see a F80 M3 the sales associate did not know that the M-DCT shift levels could be adjusted with the switch (Drivelogic program selector button) near the shifter. We have another thread on all those type statements. This is not just a BMW problem and has been the norm for years.
As we see the sales numbers for BMW climb every month, remember where are the additional trained technicians coming from?
It is currently difficult to find qualified people to repair the technical level of vehicles we drive.
Point taken. I've also been told (by other salesmen) that the M has run flats. At least the one we bought ours from made sure to tell us they didn't and he double checked if we had the little air pump.

I do understand that these cars are pretty technical and theirs not that many qualified techs as their needs to be among the higher end car brands.
Appreciate 0