BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
dbski
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB/SO M3

Thoughts and Help on E90 Purchase

My time has come to pull the trigger on a 2011 e90. I want to keep the mileage below 30K and I'd love an AW on fox red, a MR, or LeMans Blue. I cant find a low mileage and well priced Blue. I'm in Chicago so I will most likely be purchasing out of state sight unseen and shipping it and this is my first time making a purchase like this.

What would be a good price to get one of these for? All the previous AW i've seen have had a asking price a few thousand lower.

http://www.bmwofridgefield.com/certi...ed4c71b738.htm

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...6581/overview/
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
m3dp
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

I made a similar thread and got this advice (I believe from fuddman) for buying on a car that you won't be able to go see in person:

"Before making an offer, I'd suggest finding other lower priced cars like this one elsewhere in the USA (BMWUSA, Autotrader, etc.). Have that price info handy. Call on a slow day and when no other customers are likely to be around, early morning or late at night, just before closing. Since you'll be on the phone, make sure he understands you're a serious buyer at the outset. To do this, my approach is to ask the sales person up front, "Are you prepared to sell a car over the phone?" I try to get the salesperson to describe the car to me and I've asked them, since I can't be there, to be my eyes. Be ho hum about the car when you talk to them, make a low offer citing other cars you can prove are out there and which you say are equally interesting to you. If he says no deal, leave your number and say goodbye. Wait a few days to see if he calls back, if not, call him back and come up a bit."

That being said I ended up purchasing a local fully optioned 2011 e90 Jerez Black/Fox Red extended DCT for $50K w/ 24000 miles on it and I feel like I over payed by at least 2 grand
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Galt?
Shrug
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3, AW/FR, ZCP

When does the CPO expire on the white one and when does the factory warranty expire on the red one? If a BMW dealer runs the key and the factory/CPO warranty is intact, you should be fine buying sight unseen. Ask for high-res photos to be taken so you can see if there are any scratches/dents on the paint or scuffs/marks on the leather that will annoy you. Also, ask for pictures of tire tread measurement. Review the thread linked below for recent transactions. In conclusion, the white one is priced at least 5K too high. It looks like it may have some aftermarket parts like a CF front splitter and different exhaust. If that car has the max CPO left, and that is important to you, then you could justify paying close $50K - peace of mind. The red one is also several thousand too high.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...366319&page=73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbski View Post
My time has come to pull the trigger on a 2011 e90. I want to keep the mileage below 30K and I'd love an AW on fox red, a MR, or LeMans Blue. I cant find a low mileage and well priced Blue. I'm in Chicago so I will most likely be purchasing out of state sight unseen and shipping it and this is my first time making a purchase like this.

What would be a good price to get one of these for? All the previous AW i've seen have had a asking price a few thousand lower.

http://www.bmwofridgefield.com/certi...ed4c71b738.htm

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...6581/overview/
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
dbski
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB/SO M3

Thanks for the replies! The factory warranty expired for the white 8/15 and the red one 6/15. I was told the Red m3 wasn't offered as cpo bc of the low mileage but that it could be or an extended warranty can be purchased. I was thinking of offering 45K for the red? I'd like to do something similar for the white but since theyre asking such a high price that would seem like a low ball offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt? View Post
When does the CPO expire on the white one and when does the factory warranty expire on the red one? If a BMW dealer runs the key and the factory/CPO warranty is intact, you should be fine buying sight unseen. Ask for high-res photos to be taken so you can see if there are any scratches/dents on the paint or scuffs/marks on the leather that will annoy you. Also, ask for pictures of tire tread measurement. Review the thread linked below for recent transactions. In conclusion, the white one is priced at least 5K too high. It looks like it may have some aftermarket parts like a CF front splitter and different exhaust. If that car has the max CPO left, and that is important to you, then you could justify paying close $50K - peace of mind. The red one is also several thousand too high.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...366319&page=73
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
badbeef
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 pedals

BS on what the dealer is saying about the CPO on the red one. I bought a CPO with half the miles a couple of months ago, did it site unseen and also live in IL. It costs the dealer a fair amount to CPO a car, so my guess is that they either paid a lot for the car and couldn't mark it up enough to be competitive...or there is something about the car that made it not CPO worthy (could be service intervals not followed on time).

What I did find was that manual cars sell faster and usually for more money than the comparable DCT. Probably because there were fewer made and the demand for them is high...especially low milage ones. I personally think the CPO is worth around $3k. I was looking at a MT 24k mile e90 and negotiated a price of 49.5k without CPO and 52.5 with CPO. They have standards to adhere to on tire life, wheel condition, etc...and if they don't meet BMW's CPO standards they get replaced. I decided not to get it after all, but those were the prices quoted on the same car...they were reluctant to do the CPO on it.

So for your white one at $54,890 -- they have a lot of room to move on it. If you figure the CPO costs them ~2500, then the price without CPO is 52,390. I'd say a decent price on that would be 51.5-52.5k with CPO. Doubt they would go a lot below 52 but it doesn't hurt to try. Almost the same specs as that one that I mentioned before. That one lasted 3 days...but they had it advertised at 52.5k without CPO-- so I have to think it went for the same price ballpark as I spoke of.

For both cars (especially the red one), ask them for the full service history. They can give this to you. The red price of 50,994 seems like a decent starting price actually but I'd be leery of what might be hidden based on their CPO statement.

All of the above might be different now than 2 months ago...I would expect more e90's to be hitting the market because of the new M3's being delivered. This, if anything, should be in your favor. One more thing I found was that a fully optioned car doesn't sell for much more (if any) than a moderately optioned car. Lightly optioned cars seem to sit for a long time and/or sell for less.

Last edited by badbeef; 08-07-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

I'm with the other and I think the white one is definitely over priced by 3-5k even with the CPO.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Ridgefield is my local dealer and services my car generally, I can set you up with my sales rep and he will take care of you

Ridgefield always has some of the cleanest cars ive seen as its in a wealthy area

pm me if you need any assistance

Alex
Appreciate 0