BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #45
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
How does it work to get a liscence, do you have to bring your own to the DMV for the test when you don't have a liscence.. Or do they provide one? For those of you liscenced is the DMV tests easy? Or is it better just to take a course?

if I recall this varies state by state.

I think most if not all states give you the license when you complete the MSF course. generally the MSF course is easier than the license exam (or so I've heard)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #46
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
haha ya i think squids is a pretty universal thing
that's funny. i figured it was a local thing... cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
My every ride gear consists of Full face helmet, full gauntlet gloves, armored jacket, and race shin high race boots. I wear this gear regardless of how hard I ride or whether i ride to work or not. Most my rides are spirited rides, but I do take it to work here and there.

I agree. I was boots, gloves, armor jacket; full face helmet was a given.

Quote:
anyone who wants you to live will say no to any 600cc sport bike as a starter bike

Buy a 5 year old 250, ride it for a month or two, get USED to being on a bike, then get a 600cc bike...you won't lose a dime and will be much safer and better at riding
I tend to disagree with this statement. There is much more to being safe on a bike than riding one with a small motor. I started with a 900rr and went to an RC51 in 7 months. It's about being smart. Riding with someone who really knows how to ride is the best bet. I had a pal who was a safe but good rider who just rode in front of me at 50% of the bike's ability. As i got better and more confident i began to push him. He upped the speed and i followed suit. This went on until we were fighting each other for the inside line. I've seen plenty of guys start with small bikes, get to a point where they think the "know" how to ride and become way too cocky when they get a big bike. Respect the bike no matter the motor size and remember you control the throttle.

i learned to only ride to ride. Not to use my bike to run errands, show off or any day to day crap. These things breed complacency which will get you hurt. You rarely hear of a rider getting killed on a sunday morning when riding with a friend out in the sticks. It's always late night and some idiot doing something stupid. Granted every aspect of riding a bike is more dangerous than driving a car, but riding smart will mitigate much of the risk.
      07-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #47
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
How does it work to get a liscence, do you have to bring your own to the DMV for the test when you don't have a liscence.. Or do they provide one? For those of you liscenced is the DMV tests easy? Or is it better just to take a course?
There isn't a DMV test in America that is difficult. In FL you supply your own bike. Do a few simple riding tests that take about 7 minutes. I was worried that it would be difficult and was VERY surprised at how easy it was.
      07-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #48
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
why does almost every sport bike I see appear to have one headlight out? Is one a low beam and one high?
Two headlights close together give the optical illusion of a further car. No bueno... When people suck enough at driving already, there's no need to further confuse the spatially-challenged.
      07-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #49
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Why do motorcycle riders think it's OK to ride with high beams on?
      07-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #50
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaite View Post
Why do motorcycle riders think it's OK to ride with high beams on?
Because they don't have a cage of steel protecting them from the idiots on the road. Sorry for annoying you, but it's an effective device for getting attention from un attentive drivers.
      07-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #51
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Because they don't have a cage of steel protecting them from the idiots on the road. Sorry for annoying you, but it's an effective device for getting attention from un attentive drivers.
well said...
My safety is paramount to your annoyance.

miiipilot
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #52
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingi2ime View Post
what is a squid?
guys who ride gixxers.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #53
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: the shiiit!

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
I'm a beginner and i have couple questions
Why is it that drivers get pissed at riders? They cut me off or even tail gate me!
How can I protect myself from these assholes? I have a r1 so I got enough power to out run most of these shit heads. If I'm doing the speed limit, why are people so mad?
      07-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #54
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

^^
I pretend that i'm invisible.

Sounds stupid but its really just assuming that no one has seen you when they are going to cross traffic or change lanes or merge into traffic. It's easy to assume be cause it's true about 60% of the time.
      07-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #55
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
i love that you guys call them squids up there too!! awesome!

The majority of bikes down here have squared off back tires. Bunch a stupid extended swingarm **** running around here.
+1

you see them in the university mall/busch gardens area all the time (no racist but it's more often than not a black guy with a chunky white girl riding on back).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #56
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Quote:
^^
I pretend that i'm invisible.

Sounds stupid but its really just assuming that no one has seen you when they are going to cross traffic or change lanes or merge into traffic. It's easy to assume be cause it's true about 60% of the time.
I mean like n a 2 lane road, I'm in front (1-5 above speed limit) and ou of the blue some asshole decide to cut me off, I'm talking about a city road, not some backwoods road...

Should I go way above the speed limit? Or maintain speed? Again, I only had couple of months worth of riding
      07-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #57
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There isn't a DMV test in America that is difficult. In FL you supply your own bike. Do a few simple riding tests that take about 7 minutes. I was worried that it would be difficult and was VERY surprised at how easy it was.
see this alone makes me a bit worried about your previous statement before of your bike history (no offense at all).
no DMV test in America? Try taking the PA one when you're new, if you're even remotely new to riding (or even if you're semi experienced). The test itself is rather hard....which is why 99% of the riders do the MSF to get their license (no DMV test). The independent PA DMV test to get a M class license is challenging..
Again no offense here, but that was waaay too overarching of a statement.

Also I do agree and feel your point with what you start off with. Let me explain it a bit better.
With a Ninja 250 (or equivalent).
1. Lightweight (easy to catch, won't hurt yourself when it falls).
2. Damn near impossible to lose control from goosing the throttle or doing something along those lines (no wheelies, endos, etc etc). This is probably one of the primary reasons. There's no accidentally goosing the throttle too much, or slipping the clutch too much, etc etc. You CANNOT do a wheelie (well I GUESS you could if you really really really really tried....)
3. Cheap as hell bike to replace, insure, etc
4. No matter what happens with the bike you won't lose your shirt from resale, etc
5. A general bike that's easier to learn your limits. Again there are people that only need a few months on a 250.

I do agree with your philosophy of respect the bike. But for every 10 people I know that start off with 600+, at LEAST 9, on average, have no idea how to actually ride and become squids, hurt, or dead....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #58
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLu II View Post
I'm a beginner and i have couple questions
Why is it that drivers get pissed at riders? They cut me off or even tail gate me!
How can I protect myself from these assholes? I have a r1 so I got enough power to out run most of these shit heads. If I'm doing the speed limit, why are people so mad?
like mpower said, pretend you're invisible.

I've had suvs so close I could have easily knocked on their windows. Work around them, be aware, and have a plan a, b, and c (and even a d) available in a moments notice.
I still hold you should never get on a bike unless you're able to focus.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #59
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLu II View Post
I mean like n a 2 lane road, I'm in front (1-5 above speed limit) and ou of the blue some asshole decide to cut me off, I'm talking about a city road, not some backwoods road...

Should I go way above the speed limit? Or maintain speed? Again, I only had couple of months worth of riding
refer to my followup post. Again, always pretend like you're invisible. And always have plans available.

If you haven't already you need to learn the signs of when a driver is going to do something stupid. It's been a very very very very long time since I've been truly caught offguard by a cager. EVERY driver gives a hint of what he's going to do (or potentially could do).
Be it cut you off, be it swerve into you, be it being aggressive/defensive, etc etc. EVERY driver has a sign. Learn them, and you'll be quite safe.

Also, I'll be that guy, and probably be hated on by a few of the bikers in the forum. If you have these questions, and only a few months of driving.... an r1 is probably a bit too much bike for you. (I dont' mean any offense here, I've just seen bad things happen to people)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #60
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
see this alone makes me a bit worried about your previous statement before of your bike history (no offense at all).
no DMV test in America? Try taking the PA one when you're new, if you're even remotely new to riding (or even if you're semi experienced). The test itself is rather hard....which is why 99% of the riders do the MSF to get their license (no DMV test). The independent PA DMV test to get a M class license is challenging..
Again no offense here, but that was waaay too overarching of a statement.

Also I do agree and feel your point with what you start off with. Let me explain it a bit better.
With a Ninja 250 (or equivalent).
1. Lightweight (easy to catch, won't hurt yourself when it falls).
2. Damn near impossible to lose control from goosing the throttle or doing something along those lines (no wheelies, endos, etc etc). This is probably one of the primary reasons. There's no accidentally goosing the throttle too much, or slipping the clutch too much, etc etc. You CANNOT do a wheelie (well I GUESS you could if you really really really really tried....)
3. Cheap as hell bike to replace, insure, etc
4. No matter what happens with the bike you won't lose your shirt from resale, etc
5. A general bike that's easier to learn your limits. Again there are people that only need a few months on a 250.

I do agree with your philosophy of respect the bike. But for every 10 people I know that start off with 600+, at LEAST 9, on average, have no idea how to actually ride and become squids, hurt, or dead....
No sweat, that's why I gave FL as my example. Just assumed all others were just as easy.
Quote:
like mpower said, pretend you're invisible.

I've had suvs so close I could have easily knocked on their windows. Work around them, be aware, and have a plan a, b, and c (and even a d) available in a moments notice.
I still hold you should never get on a bike unless you're able to focus.
Yeah. There are some people who have no business being on a bike. You can see it in their body language when riding.
      07-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #61
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Thanks for the advice, is greatly appreciated. I focus all I can when I ride, I'm always "scanning" the road and watching my mirrors. The intances I encounter jackasses I remaind calm, pulled to the side and just let them by....
I understand how a r1 is too much for a beginner but I don't let power get to my head, I don't go into hig revs or dump the clutch. I ride for pleasure not to show off.
Thanks again for your input!
Quote:
refer to my followup post. Again, always pretend like you're invisible. And always have plans available.

If you haven't already you need to learn the signs of when a driver is going to do something stupid. It's been a very very very very long time since I've been truly caught offguard by a cager. EVERY driver gives a hint of what he's going to do (or potentially could do).
Be it cut you off, be it swerve into you, be it being aggressive/defensive, etc etc. EVERY driver has a sign. Learn them, and you'll be quite safe.

Also, I'll be that guy, and probably be hated on by a few of the bikers in the forum. If you have these questions, and only a few months of driving.... an r1 is probably a bit too much bike for you. (I dont' mean any offense here, I've just seen bad things happen to people)
      07-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #62
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Why do some motorcycles have handlebars 3 feet up from the dudes head? It looks stupid, dangerous and uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #63
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
Why do some motorcycles have handlebars 3 feet up from the dudes head? It looks stupid, dangerous and uncomfortable.
I don't know, and never will. The word "douchebag" comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #64
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
How does it feel when the handle bars shake at high speeds? Butthole pucker?
You feel vibrations for like 5-10 minutes afterwards. Feels like your hand is asleep.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #65
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Raz, I see you have a ZX-6R ME! Join up on ZX6R.com!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #66
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I've seen way to many squids go down because they jumped on a liter bike before they've had any riding experience. I'd get a 500 before I get anything else. The problem with sports bikes is that you have to rev them to get any power. Not good for a new rider.

P.S. I'm against 250's because they don't have the get up and go that's needed, even for the street.
Appreciate 0