BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Closed Thread

05-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #45
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
I agree with Stingray's take on the Z06 and BMW in general. I love the M3 and have said countless times I think it makes for one of (if not THE) best DD's out there where you get comfort, utility, refinement and performance all in one package.

I wouldn't expect to get loads of accolades on a BMW forum for any other car besides a Bimmer.

I also agree with Greg (shift@red) about the Z06 vs GT2, Ford GT, etc. But then again we are talking different price points as well.

As far as the interior goes, here is my 4LT interior (same as a 3ZR in a Z06/ZR1). No, it's not Porsche, Audi quality but "awful" is also not accurate. I don't find the M3 interior to be a big upgrade over a 4LT/3ZR Vette. Hell, nearly all of the auto rags call the interior "spartan".
Is that fake CF?

By the way...spartan and crappy are two different things. A Porsche's interior is mostly spartan, yet they exude quality and craftsmanship.

-SZ

Last edited by SUB-ZERO; 05-06-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #46
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

You get what you pay for - always have, always will. My built 78 Trans Am would have beat my M3 in the quarter, but that doesn't make it a better car. Buy what you want & can afford & be happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #47
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpari09 View Post
^ he's right about build quality though. Corvettes and gm cars in general have horrible build quality, and he's also got a point with corvette drivers showing off. Who the hell buys a yellow corvette that's not trying to show off lol. If m3 drivers want to upgrade they should look into buying a Porsche. Buying American will only be considered a downgrade in every respect except performance NUMBERS.
Do you say the same thing about the yellow lambos, red and orange GT3's, the huge wing on the GT3RS, the stripes on a Ford GT, a yellow 458, et al?

One knock I have on the M3 is it isn't "flashy" enough for what it is. To 95% of the general population it looks like your run of the mill 3 series Bimmer.

Continue to live in your European loving utopia. Some people are so narrow minded and are way too concerned about "image" that there is no use to even try and carry on a logical discussion.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #48
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
^ he's right about build quality though. Corvettes and gm cars in general have horrible build quality, and he's also got a point with corvette drivers showing off. Who the hell buys a yellow corvette that's not trying to show off lol. If m3 drivers want to upgrade they should look into buying a Porsche. Buying American will only be considered a downgrade in every respect except performance NUMBERS.

And by the number of "boy racers" on this forum, I would imagine better performance would be the key point??

Hell that is why I switched. When the 5.0 Mustang came out and was dead even in performance in most aspects as the M3 at half the price.... I had to ask myself; why I was paying a premium for a car that I can get a thrill out of driving for half the price? So I sold it and bought a shit quality American made 5.0 Mustang.
      05-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #49
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Is that fake CF?

By the way...spartan and crappy are two different things. A Porsche's interior is mostly spartan, yet they exude quality and craftsmanship.

-SZ
yes it is.....and about the same quality as a carbon cloth covering on an M3
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #50
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
You get what you pay for - always have, always will. My built 78 Trans Am would have beat my M3 in the quarter, but that doesn't make it a better car. Buy what you want & can afford & be happy.

What are Zo6's and Zr1's 30k cars in the US??? Last time I checked the ZO6 tipped the scale at 70-75k and the Zr1-100-113k? Doesn't sound "cheap" to me. But then again I am a peasant worker.
      05-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #51
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
BUY AMERICAN.... support the hard workers of the United States... lol I did, just bought a 2011 Fully loaded (minus glass roof) Mustang Gt Premium 5.0. On order is the Boss 302 Intake manifold, JBL CAI, Kooks LT headers, Magnaflow cat back and tuner and guess what.... I paid for all that less than what an Akra costs alone.... Apparently the 5.0 gives the M3 a run for its money... we will see. I really do not think my new interior is inferior to the M3's... by any stretch of the imagination.
Nice rig buddy
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #52
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yes it is.....and about the same quality as a carbon cloth covering on an M3
You mean carbon leather? Besides, I have the anthracite wood in my ///M. It is real wood and not plastic. BMW also makes a real CF dash interior kit for the ///M3 which can be had for about $1200; it replaces all the accent pieces with finished CF. Looks really nice.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #53
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
What are Zo6's and Zr1's 30k cars in the US??? Last time I checked the ZO6 tipped the scale at 70-75k and the Zr1-100-113k? Doesn't sound "cheap" to me. But then again I am a peasant worker.
You obviously misunderstood -
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #54
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
You mean carbon leather? Besides, I have the anthracite wood in my ///M. It is real wood and not plastic. BMW also makes a real CF dash interior kit for the ///M3 which can be had for about $1200; it replaces all the accent pieces with finished CF. Looks really nice.

-SZ
SZ... have you seen the pieces that get put into the BMW's? I had ordered wood trim added to my 530i and cancelled my order when I saw the flimsy mm thick pieces they wanted 800 euro for.

Everyone keeps talking about BMW build quality... WHERE??? the engine and suspension maybe. The paint SUCKS, the windshield is weak as hell, the front wheel fender shrouds pull away from the fender wells, the brakes produce more dust than a wind storm in kansas. Electronic gremlims that screw up the ENTIRE car when they occur. I have owned 5 BMW's in the last 4 years and build quality is not the first thing that comes to mind. The ONLY BMW I have owned that gave me minimal problems was my X3... hence why just bought another one.

Caveat.... why do I keep going back?? Simple... I am in Germany and they are easy to get a hold of and in comparrison to Audi and Mercedes... I do think they build a better car.
      05-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #55
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
No, they did not, But Chevy did.

True, different price points. Those are always a factor.
Believe it or not, as much as I love the C6 Vettes, the "bailout" thing was something I had to get over. I wish it was Ford that I was buying from as opposed to GM.

Having said that, for anyone that owns GE stuff (and I will bet that 100% of the members on this forum fall into this category) the same thing holds true...although not on a bailout basis...we continue to prop this shithead company up all the while they pay ZERO income tax and continue to be in BHO's back pocket.

<end of rant>....back to the topic at hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #56
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
SZ... have you seen the pieces that get put into the BMW's? I had ordered wood trim added to my 530i and cancelled my order when I saw the flimsy mm thick pieces they wanted 800 euro for.

Everyone keeps talking about BMW build quality... WHERE??? the engine and suspension maybe. The paint SUCKS, the windshield is weak as hell, the front wheel fender shrouds pull away from the fender wells, the brakes produce more dust than a wind storm in kansas. Electronic gremlims that screw up the ENTIRE car when they occur. I have owned 5 BMW's in the last 4 years and build quality is not the first thing that comes to mind. The ONLY BMW I have owned that gave me minimal problems was my X3... hence why just bought another one.
My experience with BMW is limited as I have only been a BMW owner since 2009. I currently own my 2009 M3 and a 2011 X5d. Within my circle of friends, there are 4 X5's, 2 M3's, 2 335's, all are 2009+. We have all had a great experience with our BMWs (a few HPF pump failures on one of the 335s).

To me, both my M3 and X5 seem to be of very good quality. I don't really see anything that feels or looks cheap. A BMW interior may not be as visually engaging as some of the Merc models, but cheap they are not IMO.

When I went to the DC car show a few months ago and was looking at the selection from Detroit, I immediately made my way to the Chevy section to see the Vettes and the Ford section to see the Mustangs. The one common theme that I wasn't very impressed with was the interior. However, I heard that Chevy has heard the calls of the consumer and will be updating the Vettes interior for 2012!

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #57
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
They dumping a lot of money into the corvette program so i cant wait to see what they come up with.

I will bet the next gen interior will blow people away. They proved to me they can make a good interior with the CTS-V. Im also expecting a price hike though.
      05-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #58
alms211
Banned
Rep

My M5 interior was fantastic with the extended leather dash board etc...the M3 does not offer the leather wrapped dash. You do get a leather wrapped dash in a 4LT/3ZR Corvette. Allbeit not the greatest quality leather.... but it's better than ANY rubber dash.

I contemplated getting the 3LT interior and spending $6-7K on this from Apsis (includes leather doors as well)
Attached Images

Last edited by alms211; 05-06-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #59
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My M5 interior was fantastic with the extended leather dash board etc...the M3 does not offer the leather wrapped dash. You do get a leather wrapped dash in a 4LT/3ZR Corvette. Allbeit not the greatest quality leather.... but it's better than ANY rubber dash.

I contemplated getting the 3LT interior and spending $6-7K on this from Apsis.
Have you seen the seats/interior from Carvaggio?

http://www.luxury4play.com/american-...ona-seats.html

They make some really amazing interiors for the Vette! Honestly, they way a Z06 and ZR1 should come from the factory!

Edit:

You gotta check this out: http://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com/#/interior

-SZ
Attached Images

Last edited by SUB-ZERO; 05-06-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #60
alms211
Banned
Rep

I have seen the Caravaggio stuff. ^^^^ looks fantastic save for the quilted stuff. Not a fan of that.

You're 100% correct...hopefully the C7 will have some better quality stuff. I seriously think even if they just give the buyer the option, there will be plenty that will opt for the high end finish. I know plenty of people that love the styling/drive of the Vette but just can't get past the interior. I was one of those at one point but decided that the exterior styling/reliability/performance of the car meant more to me than the interior.

There will also be those that want to keep the price down and go with the base lower end stuff as well.

My buddy that tracks his ZR1 is having these put in his car from Caravaggio

oops edit --- correct seats added
Attached Images

Last edited by alms211; 05-06-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #61
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

enjoy, best color by the way
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #62
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Enjoy the car, It's a very fast car that requires some driver experience. I have also considered the Z06 aswell but opted for the M3 because I needed the rear seats right now, but one day it may be a part of my car collection. Good Luck and Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #63
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Nice car OP. Wheels look especially good.

Can't say I'd ever buy a 'Vette, but if you're into that raw, American, crazy-fast-at-any-speed feel, a Z06 is obviously your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #64
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
If i had no kids, i would choose a Z06/viper over a M3 Any day, but i have kids so i have to choose a 4 seater...

I have never drove a vette before, but if its anything like a SRT-10 Viper than WOW...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #65
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
As a matter of fact I do feel the same exact way when it comes to those cars. The only distinction I make between someone who drives an orange lambo and someone who drives a orange vette is that the guy with the lambo has money and the guy with the vette is a big time poser, but both r douche bags to the fullest degree. I for one love the understated look of my m3, I didn't buy it to show off and stand out. My car doesn't scream (hey look at me, I'm a douche bag with alot of money and I'm starving for attention). My car is subtle and understated just the way I like it. R u proud of yourself for buying a mustang and getting rid of ur m3? What, so you can tell ur friends that u can keep up or beat an m3 for half the price? Lol. In thr grand scheme of things Performance numbers mean very little to m3 owners. If it were all abou performance numbers than we all probably buy at gtr, a car that has no feel no soul but can run circles around an m3. Feel is key. The point I was trying to make, is why would you have bought an m3 in the first place if pure performance is what u are ultimately looking for. Getting used to the refinement and build quality of an m3 then going to a mustang or a vette? I mean seriously, why would anyone do that to themselves? You shouldve just bought the vette or the stang in the first place and not bothered with superiority.

You're kidding, right? I would guess most M3 owners think performance matters but most need a more versatile platform than what a GTR or 911 offer. And could you please stop with the "GTR has no soul" talk. Mine puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #66
737Drvr
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3

Quote:
As a matter of fact I do feel the same exact way when it comes to those cars. The only distinction I make between someone who drives an orange lambo and someone who drives a orange vette is that the guy with the lambo has money and the guy with the vette is a big time poser, but both r douche bags to the fullest degree. I for one love the understated look of my m3, I didn't buy it to show off and stand out. My car doesn't scream (hey look at me, I'm a douche bag with alot of money and I'm starving for attention). My car is subtle and understated just the way I like it. R u proud of yourself for buying a mustang and getting rid of ur m3? What, so you can tell ur friends that u can keep up or beat an m3 for half the price? Lol. In thr grand scheme of things Performance numbers mean very little to m3 owners. If it were all abou performance numbers than we all probably buy at gtr, a car that has no feel no soul but can run circles around an m3. Feel is key. The point I was trying to make, is why would you have bought an m3 in the first place if pure performance is what u are ultimately looking for. Getting used to the refinement and build quality of an m3 then going to a mustang or a vette? I mean seriously, why would anyone do that to themselves? You shouldve just bought the vette or the stang in the first place and not bothered with superiority.
This was certainly a well thought out post and will be received well by everyone. Yes, that was sarcasm. And yes this is a BMW forum. We all wouldn't be here if we didn't respect the marque. But that doesn't mean we don't like other types of cars. Have you driven a Ferrari, Lambo, or even a Vette? Something tells me no given your narrow minded train of thought. Yes, the M3 is a great jack of all trades car. Very good build quality, etc. I know plenty of people who own these and Lambos, Ferrari's, Vette's, etc. They certainly aren't douche bags in my book. In fact, most of them are stand up people. So, maybe a little thought before your next post and douche bags like me will continue to enjoy the variety of cars we like and are fortunate enough to own.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread