BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #45
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE90 View Post
I saw one at homestead speedway a week or so ago doing some work on the track. But yeah ive read before all of the reliability issues. Plus the styling of the new 1 is terrible
Serious and unpredictable reliability issues, in stock form as well as modded.

And yes the styling blows. look! It looks like an Asian version of:

gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #46
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
Serious and unpredictable reliability issues, in stock form as well as modded.

And yes the styling blows. look! It looks like an Asian version of:

I like the way the previous model looked, but Mazda's styling on this last generation is just a mess! It's worse than the Bangle era with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #47
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f150

HHHHahahaah. Wow your right that's pretty ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #48
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Well guys, i went for a test drive again in the 2010 GTI. And as hard as i try and push myself to like it, i simply cant. Inside im a little boy and want that savage acceleration feel , which none of these 3 cars will give me unfortunately . I think the mustang is easily one of the best bang for your buck cars out there. But the real issue is there's no lease programs on the mustang and financing 30k on a term like 72 months. Still pushes me over $500 a month tax in. Times are tough and i want to be smart about my next car purchase. I really have to say though, all the automakers right now in U.S at least are really slacking. I never imagined it would be this hard to find a half decent car for under 400 a month.
Sorry to here you didn't like it. It's not going to have savage acceleration, it's too grown up for that type of thing, plus you sound to me like a quite young fellow that's into as much speed as truly possible for your hard earn cash so probably best to look at a home grown product, or take to one of the 3 you listed and tune the balls off it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #49
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
No don't try a Mazdaspeed3, they are fucking garbage. They have the same shit internals as an N/A with a maxed out stock turbo and a half assed overall set up. All years had significant engine failure issues, smoking turbos and bad syncros if not a complete transmission failure.

Know the product before you suggest it.
Ok assclown. I just suggested it because it received tons of accolades. He said the GTI wasn't fast enough. I used a logical suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #50
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

If you want fun performance for under $30k why not a WRX?

I've had a few Subaru's and they were all really solid cars. The WRX was one of the most fun cars to drive. A lot of potential there for modding as well if you want to make it handle better or improve acceleration.
I know some people don't like the new styling but it's starting to grow on me.
I really liked my MKIV Gti as well but was frequently frustrated with the front wheel drive and the wheel hop after I chipped it. Definitely nicer inside than the Subaru but not as easy to drive aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #51
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f150

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
If you want fun performance for under $30k why not a WRX?

I've had a few Subaru's and they were all really solid cars. The WRX was one of the most fun cars to drive. A lot of potential there for modding as well if you want to make it handle better or improve acceleration.
I know some people don't like the new styling but it's starting to grow on me.
I really liked my MKIV Gti as well but was frequently frustrated with the front wheel drive and the wheel hop after I chipped it. Definitely nicer inside than the Subaru but not as easy to drive aggressively.

I actually drove in a friends new body style wrx sti a while ago and although it was quick, i just cant give up everything for performance. I didn't like the way it sounded, teh way it felt while driving, fit and finish, interior , exterior, overall i just though of it to be a 12,000 $ car with a good engine
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #52
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
Well guys, i went for a test drive again in the 2010 GTI. And as hard as i try and push myself to like it, i simply cant. Inside im a little boy and want that savage acceleration feel , which none of these 3 cars will give me unfortunately . I think the mustang is easily one of the best bang for your buck cars out there. But the real issue is there's no lease programs on the mustang and financing 30k on a term like 72 months. Still pushes me over $500 a month tax in. Times are tough and i want to be smart about my next car purchase. I really have to say though, all the automakers right now in U.S at least are really slacking. I never imagined it would be this hard to find a half decent car for under 400 a month.
You can lease a 2010 135i with Auto and M sports for under or at $400 a month with tax included (7%) for 36months 10k a year if you haggle to $500 over invoice and take advange of the $1500 lease cash. This is with just fees at signing no cap cost reduction...except for the $1500 which bmw pays. So probably like 2,000 due at signing but includes 1st month and security.
      11-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #53
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep

2010 EVO GSR is like $390 including 7% tax a month lease with like $3500 due at signing.

BTW I am in the same boat as you. I have 4 months left on my lease and high 5 hundreds for a car payment is getting old.
I've been crunching alot of numbers on alot of cars and its tough.....My Max is $400 also and speed is important also.

If your realy interested in a car crunch the numbers with $500 over mrsp...makes a huge differnece and your never gonna get a quote like that just walking in. Gotta know the numbers and crunch the lease/buy/finance in advance or your waste your time.

I really like lease compare to get rates and search forums for invoice prices and invoice options.

GTI's get pricey quick. For me the 135i is a decent option for a lease...I am just paranoid...I been thru 4 hpfp and I sorta want AWD.

Last edited by Cookiemonster; 11-19-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #54
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My 328i is defnitley A good car but its 500 a month, and i put 3000 down. I found a buyer who has already been approved and i am in the process of handing the car over to them. I think for what i put down and the fact that this car isnt a 335 , makes it simply too much money for what it is, PLUS the buyer has already givin me 50% of my Downpayment money back which is nice. Thats the reason i decided to sell it. I was also thinking about financing a s2000 CR. But they are a bit difficult to find at the right price. Anyone have any opinions on the S2000 CR?
Skip the CR....Get a regular S2000. There are tons that are 2 to 3 years old very low milage.....why? Because alot are bought as summer play cars by older folks and after a few years the crisis is over. Great car...had an S2000 for 5 years as a DD. But it does wear on you after a few years a daily driver. A three year old s2000 with like 20k miles on the ODO is like brand new for a Honda.
      11-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #55
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Sorry to here you didn't like it. It's not going to have savage acceleration, it's too grown up for that type of thing, plus you sound to me like a quite young fellow that's into as much speed as truly possible for your hard earn cash so probably best to look at a home grown product, or take to one of the 3 you listed and tune the balls off it.
Never realized the terms grown up and slow as hell were interchangeable.
      11-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #56
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Quote:
I actually drove in a friends new body style wrx sti a while ago and although it was quick, i just cant give up everything for performance. I didn't like the way it sounded, teh way it felt while driving, fit and finish, interior , exterior, overall i just though of it to be a 12,000 $ car with a good engine
the 08 Vs 09 are pretty different in terms of performance. I was much more impressed with the new WRX after I drove the 09 vs the 08.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #57
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
I'd take the R32.

I'm not a fan of the Civic Si's design. The proportions aren't athletic at all. FWD = Wrong wheel drive. It lacks torque. I HATE the interior (fyi, I used to own an '06 EX Coupe) with its stupid digital readout. The brakes are subpar. It's a Civic. The list can go on.

The R32 at least has some grunt and AWD to boot. Not to mention you can find some tasteful mods for the MkV body style. And the interior is LEAGUES better. The seats aren't even comparable.

Nikkahtrops!!

What this man says.

/thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #58
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Ok assclown. I just suggested it because it received tons of accolades. He said the GTI wasn't fast enough. I used a logical suggestion.
GTI + REVO, bye bye Mazdaspeed... accolades by what? magazines? that holds about the same weight as my cats dick.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #59
caradd
(*) (*)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
Skip the CR....Get a regular S2000. There are tons that are 2 to 3 years old very low milage.....why? Because alot are bought as summer play cars by older folks and after a few years the crisis is over. Great car...had an S2000 for 5 years as a DD. But it does wear on you after a few years a daily driver. A three year old s2000 with like 20k miles on the ODO is like brand new for a Honda.
Agreed, if you don't need rear seats the s2000 is the best car for the price. I had a 2002 AP1. If I didn't have a 2 1/2 year old I would get another one.

I've also owned a MKV R32, with flash, intake and exhaust. It was faster then my s2000 but no where near as fun to drive. The R32 was a blast to drive in crappy weather.

I've driven a co-workers Civic Si and just was not impressed with it at all. It felt sluggish couldn't feel the vtec like in my s2000, and the torque steer sucked.

Hands down get the s2000!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #60
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Unfortunately too many people look at facts and figures without knowing that there is a lot more than just this. Cars like the Mustang may well corner as well as a 335 but this is purely a figure and has nothing to do with the quality of the chassis or it's suspension. Basically fit wide enough rubber and you will get anything to corner at speed; this is how the Mustang is doing it.

When you complain about FWD being the wrong driven wheels then I would expect that the handling of the chassis should be of equal importance. In fact I would much prefer a great handling chassis that's FWD instead of a poorly executed RWD chassis that can simply corner quickly.

This is why I use the term 'cheap and cheerful', it not only it meant to explain the quality but the execution of the enginnering.
I'm guessing you have never actually driven the new Mustang...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #61
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
I'm guessing you have never actually driven the new Mustang...
Not the latest 2010 Mustang but I'm over sometime next year and will make a point of trying all the latest American wares.
Appreciate 0