BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

07-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Unhappy Beware of EAS

I purchased a Macht Schnell DIF (drop in air filter) from EAS thinking that they had great quality products due to reputation but have come to realize it is the complete opposite. When I initially installed the DIF I noticed that the fitment from air filter to the rubber boot adapter was a off. Nothing crazy but it just didn't fit like the OEM filter did, it was bigger in circumference compared to OEM but when installed tediously it worked.....or so I thought. Then I came along this thread and started to worry..........

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608138

Now I know this isn't the same car but it's still Macht Schnell. After roughly 1k miles I decided to take a look at it before leaving to Afghanistan, I would hate for something to go wrong while my wife has it in her hands. Some of you may ask why I didn't check it earlier but if you knew my work tempo before a deployment then you would not ask. In the end this is what I came across after the un install, once again we are talking about M3's here not your everyday run of the mill car.

Name:  IMG_2285.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  182.7 KB

I know for a fact that none of this was inside before the install of the Macht Schnell filter, the filter is the reasoning for this. Now don't come at me saying that it was install error because 1. a caveman could do it, 2. this shouldn't be an issue for a simple modification and 3. this isn't my first rodeo. I have been working on cars for about 10 years now as a hobby and take a great pride in my own car.....especially an ///M3. I checked the fitment numerous times, ensuring everything was good but I should have checked more.

The filter fitment was horrible compared to OEM. I am not sure what they were thinking during the production of this part but they did not address everything before throwing this on the market. This seems to be a new trend on here. You could really tell a difference between the two.....HUGE difference. I am fortunate.....for now that my car is still running strong with no issues. I just hope that nothing comes of this in the future. I re installed my OEM filter and will only go with OEM from now on due to this situation. Normally I would say no biggie but this is a 23k engine that we are talking about, not a Honda Civic.

Another rant I have is the Test Pipes I have installed from EAS/Macht Schnell. When I received the pipes I was happy with the quality of everything. The welds looked decent and the quality of the build was over all good. The only issue.....which is a huge inconvenience is that the bolt holes for connecting to the headers was not the right size and they needed to be drilled. This is not a huge error but for 495$ you would expect to have a quality part that is ready to be installed and not modified by others.

Other issues I have had with them....... I had a 28 day training rotation. I ordered a few parts such as DIF adapter (because they don't take to take the time and make sure you are good to go), IND tow strap cover and tow strap. I sent the money to them prior to leaving expecting it to be here when I return. No luck! I spoke with them about the issue and said it was shipping. Two weeks later, nothing! I email them again and they finally ship it after another two weeks. This took close to 60 days before I even received shipment.

For those of you with the DIF please take the time to check this out, your engines health is possibly at risk and I am sure that I am not the only one that received this kind of quality from EAS.

In the end I have learned my lessons to never go through EAS again and if I EVER buy something aftermarket I will do much more research before coming on here and choosing one of the "big name brands" on the forum. I am of course ready for the bashing from many of you as this is what is to come from something like this and the certain "types" on this forum, let the games begin. I am not looking for a refund or an apology from EAS because if you ask me, this is what I think of the filter and EAS/Macht Schnells "Performance Production" line........

Name:  IMG_2288.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  289.4 KB

Last edited by STi_traitor; 07-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Mentioned my issue with the shipping time of 60 days!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....I'm all about calling out vendors/manufacturers when something goes wrong, but
a) wouldn't it be more accurate to say beware Macht Schnell? Did you contact EAS to see if they would assist you before bringing everything here? And
b) wrong forum, my man so it'll most likely be moved to the Vendor Feedback forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....I'm all about calling out vendors/manufacturers when something goes wrong, but
a) wouldn't it be more accurate to say beware Macht Schnell? Did you contact EAS to see if they would assist you before bringing everything here? And
b) wrong forum, my man so it'll most likely be moved to the Vendor Feedback forum.
if I'm not mistaken EAS = Macht Schnell

*take a look at all the EAS recommendations for MS as well
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
EAS is Macht Schnell but I wanted to put both names out there. This is the Modifications thread so I can talk about modifications in here if I please. Why would I need to contact them about it, to assist them in a cover up others should know about? I should have also mentioned the horrible service they provided when I ordered a IND tow hook cover with strap that took over one month to ship.......interesting.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Curious to heare the reaction of EAS now...knowing that they will see this post and pics ,also this treat calls Beware of EAS .....so i hope that they are not blind !
Anyway.... i hope my friend, that you will have a positive reaction of them after this
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
if I'm not mistaken EAS = Macht Schnell

*take a look at all the EAS recommendations for MS as well
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

MS filters are made by S&B but private-labeled as MS (owned by EAS)..there used to be others that also had their private labeled filters made by S&B (Streamline and APE) and were identical to the MS product.

It may have been a case of a single defective product (and defects do happen, as any BMW owner knows). I had no issues with my MS intake/filter, which proved to be quite effective at filtration (my oil tests showed almost zero ppm silicates). Also, I found customer service to be excellent from my experience. Notwithstanding this, seeing something like this is troubling and I think if you use any oiled cotton gauze filter, it should be regularly checked for fitment (as u did) and engine oil tested, as factually they do let in larger dirt/dust particles (could be an issue depending on your environment if dusty).

Last edited by FogCityM3; 07-05-2013 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
adartSR
Rep
Drives: "M"

Damn I thought I was the only one that had problems with their service.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adartSR View Post
Damn I thought I was the only one that had problems with their service.
Nope. Dang now i'm thinking of opening up the airbox because mine too did not fit well. I'm praying I don't find crap like that in the elbow.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I did look into drop-in air filters a lot before buying BMC. I've had it on my E46 M3. The E92 filter body is shorted than the OEM one but fitted okay. As STI pointed out even a monkey can do it, so no one should blame installation for this failure with MS. I hope the vendor would give a valid explanation respectful of the clients ill feeling. Debris could have caused major issues. Luckily it was caught well in advance. Let see what comes out of this and hope sanity will prevail at the end of the day.
      07-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

Sorry to here the issues. I however think you are handling all wrong. Real easy to come on a forum and be a keyboard gangster, lot tougher to actual call and pickup the call and ask to speak to the owner. I hate keyboard cowboys.

Would actually have expected something different from our nation's finest. You know nothing is perfect in life and people should not be judged without a fair chance.

I am confident EAS will make it right. I have had nothing but great experiences the 4 times I have used them.

Thanks for your services and come home safe.

2013 AW/BLK - DCT, Comp/Cold/Prem
Mods - IND Beauty kit, CF Roundels, CF Splitters, AiB Angel Eyes, EAS Exhaust Tips! B&G lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
Sorry to here the issues. I however think you are handling all wrong. Real easy to come on a forum and be a keyboard gangster, lot tougher to actual call and pickup the call and ask to speak to the owner. I hate keyboard cowboys.

Would actually have expected something different from our nation's finest. You know nothing is perfect in life and people should not be judged without a fair chance.

I am confident EAS will make it right. I have had nothing but great experiences the 4 times I have used them.

Thanks for your services and come home safe.
Hahahahaha! I like how you come at me with "nations finest". Maybe I should explain to you that I have had multiple issues with them by e-mail before this. Now was the time to get at it. If anyone is the keyboard gangster its you for coming at me.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

I read this thread 45 or so minutes ago and got worried since I have MS Stg.2 on my car. I'm leaving for 10 days and promised my old man he could drive the M whilst I'm gone, so I popped the hood and checked everything out.

The plastic adapter that connects the air filter to the intake elbow suffered from some heat-induced warping, which caused the air filter to fall right off as I touched it. The stock parts are not with me at the moment, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire thing for my own peace of mind while I'm gone.

I've had issues in the past with the intake elbow popping off under hard acceleration and downshifting, but that issue seems to have been cured by finely adjusting the clamps. This new issue with the deformed plastic adapter has soured me to the point that I will be reverting to the stock intake elbow and a DIF as soon as I return.

This kit has been plagued with issues since its release and I don't foresee myself purchasing any MS products in the future.

Who, besides AA and MS, makes a good DIF?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Montreal3 View Post
... Who, besides AA and MS, makes a good DIF?
BMC ... I had it (E46) ... and have it (E92)!
      07-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Montreal3 View Post
I read this thread 45 or so minutes ago and got worried since I have MS Stg.2 on my car. I'm leaving for 10 days and promised my old man he could drive the M whilst I'm gone, so I popped the hood and checked everything out.

The plastic adapter that connects the air filter to the intake elbow suffered from some heat-induced warping, which caused the air filter to fall right off as I touched it. The stock parts are not with me at the moment, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire thing for my own peace of mind while I'm gone.

I've had issues in the past with the intake elbow popping off under hard acceleration and downshifting, but that issue seems to have been cured by finely adjusting the clamps. This new issue with the deformed plastic adapter has soured me to the point that I will be reverting to the stock intake elbow and a DIF as soon as I return.

This kit has been plagued with issues since its release and I don't foresee myself purchasing any MS products in the future.

Who, besides AA and MS, makes a good DIF?
I honestly would go with OEM. What are you really gaining from a DIF? I have always known that it doesn't give any power gains but I did it anyways and I regret it.

I am glad that I brought this to your attention, hope all is well.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
I honestly would go with OEM. What are you really gaining from a DIF? I have always known that it doesn't give any power gains but I did it anyways and I regret it.
Very true ... at the end of the day peace of mind outweighs a little bit more of air going into the engine.
      07-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Very true ... at the end of the day peace of mind outweighs a little bit more of air going into the engine.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
Something about the name and logo of Macht Schnell just rubs me the wrong way... lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
This is the Modifications thread so I can talk about modifications in here if I please.

Well, anyways, hope they can get things sorted. AA has the green filter, I've heard good things about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

what's that stuff in the first picture? is it debris or oil spot?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread