BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

10-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #45
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

I really wish I would have read just a few posts down earlier today. I read the first posts here and went about ripping my trunk apart on my 2011 to find out my module isn't in the trunk. Should have read down a few posts, doh! I'll have to bring the car to work and lift it on the hoist to get this installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #46
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post
I really wish I would have read just a few posts down earlier today. I read the first posts here and went about ripping my trunk apart on my 2011 to find out my module isn't in the trunk. Should have read down a few posts, doh! I'll have to bring the car to work and lift it on the hoist to get this installed.
Let me know if you need additional help.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #47
Ninja Please
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Tom, does it matter which coiled Red/Black wires get attached to either end of the clipped Green/Orange wires?

I can't make out 100% from the picture which coiled Red/Black wires (MS Pin 3 & 11 vs. 10 & 2) are being connected to Green/Orange wires "closer" to the harness.

Last edited by Ninja Please; 10-20-2015 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #48
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Please View Post
Tom, does it matter which coiled Red/Black wires get attached to either end of the clipped Green/Orange wires?

I can't make out 100% from the picture which coiled Red/Black wires (MS Pin 3 & 11 vs. 10 & 2) are being connected to Green/Orange wires "closer" to the harness.
Good question, wondering the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #49
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

It does.

In this image, you see pins 3/11 will go to vehicle side, with pins 2/10 going towards the module connector side.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #50
Ninja Please
HNIC
United_States
Rep

Name:  TPMS Wiring.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  144.4 KB

I finally got around installing this this morning. I swear I am not usually this slow haha.

I just came back from a test drive and it's still displaying the TPMS error message. I made sure to select TPMS reset via iDrive before the "drive off." I drove a good 2-3 miles around the neighborhood varying from 5 to 25mph. I also did notice the green LED turning on the MS unit when I plugged in the harness.

After the test drive, I tested the module programming (since default is "on" I didn't do this after install) and is not working - when I lift both front window switches to POS2 for 5+ seconds, blinkers are not turning on at all.

Did I wire something wrong? As you can see from my picture:

* 3/11 is connected to wires from the vehicle
* 2/10 is connected to wires from the receiver harness
* Red from MS is connected to Red on vehicle
* Brown from MS is connected to Brown-ish on vehicle

Last edited by Ninja Please; 11-18-2015 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #51
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Attachment 1320301

I finally got around installing this this morning. I swear I am not usually this slow haha.

I just came back from a test drive and it's still displaying the TPMS error message. I made sure to select TPMS reset via iDrive before the "drive off." I drove a good 2-3 miles around the neighborhood varying from 5 to 25mph. I also did notice the green LED turning on the MS unit when I plugged in the harness.

After the test drive, I tested the module programming (since default is "on" I didn't do this after install) and is not working - when I lift both front window switches to POS2 for 5+ seconds, blinkers are not turning on at all.

If blinkers are not illuminating when the window switches are lifted, either the module has no power or CAN wires are not wired properly. Also check to see if the spade connectors are inserted fully into the scotchlocks and not accidentally pushed aside.

Is the green data light on the module flashing when ignition is on?

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #52
Ninja Please
HNIC
United_States
Rep

Hi Tom,

The green LED light on the MS unit lights up (stays lit) when the ignition is on.

After shutting off the car (and locking it via fob), about 10 seconds later, the LED light will go off.

I double checked the spade connectors by removing them and reinserting them.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #53
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Would these spade connectors work just as good as cutting, twisting lines together, and then heat shrinking them?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #54
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Hi Tom,

The green LED light on the MS unit lights up (stays lit) when the ignition is on.

After shutting off the car (and locking it via fob), about 10 seconds later, the LED light will go off.

I double checked the spade connectors by removing them and reinserting them.

Thanks!
Unit is wired incorrectly, solid green lamp means it cannot detect CAN.

Please remove the tape and send me pictures of your wiring via email so I can assist.

Quote:
Would these spade connectors work just as good as cutting, twisting lines together, and then heat shrinking them?
Sure.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #55
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Was about to attempt this and it looks like the pictures are not working anymore. Any chance to get those back up?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #56
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
TPMS has changed since 2010, going from a 4-reciever system to single receiver. The receiver is located behind the passenger's side rear fender liner.

Installation will use the same procedures as the Gen1 TPMS systems, since it is a 4-wire connection:

- +12V Power
- Ground
- CAN High
- CAN Low

Here are a couple of images to illustrate what I am referring to:

4-wire TPMS connector, BMW harness:

The connectors from the Macht Schnell TPMS module are clipped off and are either soldered to the factory wires, or can be attached using crimped connectors:

Verify all connections and tuck the module and wiring away and reinstall the fender liner.
These are the pictures needed. Was hoping to do this tonight and MS's instructions they include aren't helpful at all. Anyway to get these pictures back up Tom?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #57
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Any chance those pictures can be reuploaded?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #58
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Attachment 1320301

I have wired up mine the same and just like you, mine is not working. I used similar connectors like you and nothing. Unless the connection is crazy fickle, the unit isn't working as described. I even attempted to uninstall it and reinstall to ensure I did it right. I had another set of eyes check my work and still nothing. At this point I'm really just wishing I would have shelled out the money to get TPMS sensors put in the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #59
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
I have wired up mine the same and just like you, mine is not working. I used similar connectors like you and nothing. Unless the connection is crazy fickle, the unit isn't working as described. I even attempted to uninstall it and reinstall to ensure I did it right. I had another set of eyes check my work and still nothing. At this point I'm really just wishing I would have shelled out the money to get TPMS sensors put in the wheels.
I just bought this and installed it on an E60. Worked beautifully.

Did you guys get it to power on, activate (blinkers test)?

Just needed one wire tap, and powered it directly from the battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #60
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
I just bought this and installed it on an E60. Worked beautifully.

Did you guys get it to power on, activate (blinkers test)?

Just needed one wire tap, and powered it directly from the battery.
Yes, did it exactly as the instructions detailed. Had mine wired up as was mentioned by EAS in this thread. Attempted to activate via window switches and simply did not work. As mentioned, I uninstalled it after it didn't work the first time. I then reinstalled it ensuring connects were even more "secure" and didn't work again.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #61
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Yes, did it exactly as the instructions detailed. Had mine wired up as was mentioned by EAS in this thread. Attempted to activate via window switches and simply did not work. As mentioned, I uninstalled it after it didn't work the first time. I then reinstalled it ensuring connects were even more "secure" and didn't work again.
Sorry, can't think of other ideas to help you troubleshoot.

The cable colors in the E60 were off. Instead of green, I had yellow etc, but I followed the pin connections to the dot.

Also the brown cable wiretap didn't seem to be secure so I had to tap manually.

Also to activate, the car had to be off, key out and engine off and electronics/idrive all off.

I didn't buy mine from EAS directly.

Here are my modifications to the directions:
1. Remove BLACK (BMW PIN2) & YELLOW (BMW PIN18).
2. Insert Red (MS PIN11) into BMW PIN2 and Black (MS PIN3) into BMW PIN18:
3. Insert Red (MS PIN10) and Black (MS PIN2) into supplied 2-pin connector housing:
4. Insert BLACK (OLD BMW PIN 2) to Red (MS PIN10) and YELLOW (OLD BMW PIN 18) to Black (MS PIN2) using the supplied 2-pin connector housing. I had to break the housing clip to push it all the way in.
5. Using supplied T-Tap, tap into Brown wire (BMW PIN16), plug in brown wire from harness:
6. Connect Red wire from module harness to constant +12V, (battery terminal):
7. Connect everything back.
8. With the car on, try pushing up on the mirror switches. Did not work, so next time I tried with the car off, engine off, idrive off and got the indicators to blink.
9. Checked in the idrive and TPMS for each tire is green and the light has gone away.

Last edited by sj22; 03-06-2016 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #62
Ninja Please
HNIC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
duvinclunk,

It should be noted that mine never worked either. I got tired of taking the wheel and fender liner on and off to recheck and check it again. On top of that, I just don't have the time - I have a two year old lol.

My M3 isn't a daily driver so it hasn't been bugging me - hell, I don't even know when I drove it last. I will probably have a local indy shop take a look at it whenever I need something else done.

Tom has been great over the email. But ultimately, it is not working and I haven't been "on top of it" to get it resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #63
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
duvinclunk,

It should be noted that mine never worked either. I got tired of taking the wheel and fender liner on and off to recheck and check it again. On top of that, I just don't have the time - I have a two year old lol.

My M3 isn't a daily driver so it hasn't been bugging me - hell, I don't even know when I drove it last. I will probably have a local indy shop take a look at it whenever I need something else done.

Tom has been great over the email. But ultimately, it is not working and I haven't been "on top of it" to get it resolved.
Ug. What a waste of money.

I too haven't had the same to take it apart for the 3rd time to "try it again".
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #64
djcwardog
V8 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650iX GS

Question Where is the RDC on an E63, 650i coupe MY 2007?

Quote:
Unit is wired incorrectly, solid green lamp means it cannot detect CAN.
Tom, or anyone else who has done it... description and photo would be great, thanks!

djcwardog
2015 650iX Gran Sport xDrive M Sport Edition, B&O
Sold - 2007 650i 6MT, sport, nav, HUD, night vision, CIC/Combox retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 12:41 PM   #65
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcwardog View Post
Tom, or anyone else who has done it... description and photo would be great, thanks!
We'll get pictures on the next install. Feel free to PM me directly if you have any questions.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #66
layzie
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Any one have instructions with pictures for 2011.5 m3? Can't find them and of course it doesn't come with any.

Last edited by layzie; 04-01-2017 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0