BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #287
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah dude View Post
Anyone know how long these Bilstein springs take to settle?

Also, does anyone know why the rears are able to drop so much lower than the fronts? I have 1.5 threads to go in the front and tires are about 1 fat finger gap. The rears have probably 10 threads or so with 1 fat finger gap also.

Here's what it looks like now, installed. I'm running 19x10 ZCP wheels on all 4 corners, 275/30/19 PS4S tires all around. Next time gonna go with 265/35/19 all around for a little extra sidewall meat.

Are you using OEM top mounts in the front or camber plates? Most aftermarket camber plates add some height to the front. I can't remember how long it took them to settle, or how much it actually settled.

My coilovers are about a year old and also set to about 1.5 threads, but with Ground Control camber plates (which add some height), and I kept the stock rubber isolator pad. I am around 23.25" from the bottom edge of the wheel rim to the bottom of the fender
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #288
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Anyone know how long these Bilstein springs take to settle?
Recent B16 Damptronic install - Settled ~7 days/300mls with original OE suspension bits.

Next steps underway, suspension refresh - - replacements with both new OE +AM front/rear suspension components.
  • Subframes - Both F/R AM control arms/links/bushings [front w/AM monoballs]
  • Sway Bar - New rear only [AM; adjustable]
Original Owner- Spirited driver, no tracking, OE+, jus enhancing 'original M' performance...for every damn day driving

Last edited by smokinjoe64; 07-11-2022 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
wyatth3548.50
      07-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #289
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Are you using OEM top mounts in the front or camber plates? Most aftermarket camber plates add some height to the front. I can't remember how long it took them to settle, or how much it actually settled.

My coilovers are about a year old and also set to about 1.5 threads, but with Ground Control camber plates (which add some height), and I kept the stock rubber isolator pad. I am around 23.25" from the bottom edge of the wheel rim to the bottom of the fender
OEM top mounts. Took about a week to settle for me, but it really didn't settle much. I am about 23.25" from the bottom edge of rim to bottom of fender too. Hmmm..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 01:49 PM   #290
nah dude
Pingu
Rep

Has anyone put linear springs on these before?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 06:08 PM   #291
nah dude
Pingu
Rep

Has anyone been able to get replacement parts for these from Bilstein? Surprised to see no parts stores sell them, and I've reached out to Bilstein via email and socials and neither replied. They sent me the old harnesses for the front strut connections that re-use the old EDC connectors instead of the newer ones that don't. Just trying to get a set.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 07:19 PM   #292
jchrystal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchrystal View Post
I just got mine installed, but I'm having some computer errors that are causing them to run full firm. As soon as I get that corrected (Tuesday, hopefully), I'll share my impressions here.

That being said, on full firm with some pretty tired tires, they handle like they're on rails... reminiscent of my E46 M3 with TC Cline coilover kit.
Still chasing some issues with a bad strut, but I did get it working (at least until Bilstein sends me a replacement strut). My review? The car rides great. Comfort mode is smooth, compliant, and handles well. Normal mode is just a click less abusive than the stock EDC sport mode, and sport mode is pretty aggressive. But, sport mode really handles. If one was on a track, I would think one would be quite pleased.

FWIW - ECS Tuning has been less than useless in helping me out. I'm not saying don't buy from them, but caveat emptor on the big ticket items.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #293
jchrystal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

Quote:
Has anyone been able to get replacement parts for these from Bilstein? Surprised to see no parts stores sell them, and I've reached out to Bilstein via email and socials and neither replied. They sent me the old harnesses for the front strut connections that re-use the old EDC connectors instead of the newer ones that don't. Just trying to get a set.
I got help pretty quickly using this form:
https://bilstein.com/en-us/contact/
Appreciate 1
nah dude237.00
      09-13-2022, 05:36 PM   #294
nah dude
Pingu
Rep

Did you guys reset your suspension adaptations in ISTA/scan tool after installing these coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 11:06 PM   #295
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Maybe a long shot, but has anybody driven on both B16s and Ohlins R&T, all else [close to] equal?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #296
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithiumax View Post
We installed these on our tarmac rally build mule and they went in fine, though the front plugs supplied are a little confusing and untidy, and of course ride height is adjustable as we all know. We found the range of adjustment far greater than advertised but we went for the following stance. In terms of DD suitability. If you DD stick with the OEM top mounts, we found that even 'street' biased top mounts increased NVH a considerable amount. With OEM top mounts they are a touch stiffer than OEM non-ZCP EDC dampers and springs, as we could predict by the stiffer spring rates but the damping is superior to the OEM units. It tackles hard knocks and fast transitions much better and overall a significant step up over the OEM units. The benefits are even more pronounced in the stiffer 2 settings. If you are looking for ultimate comfort then maybe the ZCP or non-ZCP OEM units might suit you better. We are finding that for tarmac rally applications this setup is just about spot on as when the weather and conditions on long format rallies like we have here in AUS changes, we can select a more suitable EDC setting in-stage, this has a huge benefit for stage times and probably the best and most cost effective solution for our application. Pure circuit cars may need something stiffer, but for us it's
Does this look like f10 m5 front brakes to you guys?

Pics in post #236

Answer: F10 M5 front calipers with ECS brackets and 380mm F80 blue brake rotor.

Last edited by gnx; 01-05-2023 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: i got the answer
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      07-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #297
nah dude
Pingu
Rep

Anyone who has these coilovers - can you take a photo of the front strut top nut as it sits on the car?
Appreciate 0