BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #45
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotony View Post
Here is a cockpit video of the car running a 7:38

I was hoping M division would do a promotional video for the M3 in this manner
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #46
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Coaster and others with an interest in this achievement please have a look at the excellent work by lucid (and a couple minutes from me) to show that this GT-R time is what we call in science an "outlier". I'd be willing to place a bet with anyone that one or more of my 4 hypothesis in this link below are true.
I'm calling BS on this line of reasoning until we know the conditions of the test. Nissan may simply have build a proper suspension for the car (unlike BMW and Porsche) and put really good tires on it (unlike most supercars).

Don't dismiss a result just because its not the result you expected.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #47
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I'm calling BS on this line of reasoning until we know the conditions of the test. Nissan may simply have build a proper suspension for the car (unlike BMW and Porsche) and put really good tires on it (unlike most supercars).

Don't dismiss a result just because its not the result you expected.
Debate now spanning multiple threads...

My full reply to you is over there. In short a proper suspension is not nearly enough of an explanation to explain the difference.

As far as a result I don't like - that is completely uncalled for. I really like this car and very much appreciate the amazing engineering it embodies. I have already commended the lap time as a great accomplishment. However, all that being said I will still stick to my motto - you can not argue with the physics.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 03:07 AM   #48
ndahbar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Don't transmissions mess with your "can't mess with physics" calculations? Take a look at that GT-R video again lapping the Nordschleife. That transmission...see how its shifting? I mean just listen to the thing.

I'm certain that is contributing to its stellar lap time ^_^
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #49
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndahbar View Post
Don't transmissions mess with your "can't mess with physics" calculations? Take a look at that GT-R video again lapping the Nordschleife. That transmission...see how its shifting? I mean just listen to the thing.

I'm certain that is contributing to its stellar lap time ^_^
Absolutely. I estimate a good DCT could contribute about 5 to maybe 10 full seconds on an 8 minute track vs a MT. When I run some acceleration simulations with CarTest I will use DCT type shift times <.05 seconds (despite Nissans official stats on shift times .2-.5 seconds - totally wrong). I have not run and simulatons yet becaue you need a lot of acceleration times to compare and I have only seen a 0-60 figure.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #50
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

7:50 is the official time from Sportauto. Again not a huge surprise, factory aces are way faster than Horst. Either way this nicely puts the 7:38 time in perspective.

Original link on this forum with som discussion here.

Also for those of you that remember the fun regression analysis thread here is my take on this 10-15 seconds of the amount that the car was an outlier in that analysis due to the driver, the other 10-15 seconds due to the tires being a semi-race (but street legal) compound. After these two facts the time makes perfect sense with the regression!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #51
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Wow, you are really hung up on this one...
      12-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #52
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
7:50 is the official time from Sportauto. Again not a huge surprise, factory aces are way faster than Horst. Either way this nicely puts the 7:38 time in perspective.

Also for those of you that remember the fun regression analysis thread here is my take on this 10-15 seconds of the amount that the car was an outlier in that analysis due to the driver, the other 10-15 seconds due to the tires being a semi-race (but street legal) compound. After these two facts the time makes perfect sense with the regression!
Not that new: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...85#post1722985

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #53
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Wow, you are really hung up on this one...
Well, it does kind of prove that, as one member suggested in the regression thread, the GTR is not a UFO, and that we don't have to be concerned about Martians sucking our brains out.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #54
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Honestly, I couldn't care less if the GTR had a 6:04. It looks like something straight out of 2 Fast, 2 Furious. It's a boy-racer car with zero class and design fidelity.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #55
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
Honestly, I couldn't care less if the GTR had a 6:04. It looks like something straight out of 2 Fast, 2 Furious. It's a boy-racer car with zero class and design fidelity.

A bit harsh.

I might not like the interior design or should I say the lack of it but I can't knock the technical achievement that Nissan have done with this car, they have produced a car which is technically more advanced than any current BMW with more performance, will out handle any current BMW and yet still costs less than BMW's cheapest M car.

No I might ever want or buy one but this is a seriously monumental car that proves without a shadow of a doubt the Japanese can built a car to equal the best from Europe and by this I don't mean BMW, I mean Porsche and Ferrari, the two greatest sportscar manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #56
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
1+ Not very stylish if you are into the look of the BMW.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #57
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

GT-R design

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
1+ Not very stylish if you are into the look of the BMW.
I'm getting but IMO the GT-R is not about being stylish: it well reflects the design ethic as a purpose-built piece of high-tech go-fast machinery. It's menacing, has design language that is consistent w/ its own heritage (those signature taillights for e.g.) while being brutally, purposefully modern, like a stealthy fighter - ie, a F-22 is not as balanced/pretty as a F-14, IMO, but the former is thoroughly modern in that form is more determined by function, not aesthetics.

So the GT-R works for me in that frame / context while it's not at all beautiful. Nor was it meant to be. If we spoke in English w/ more genders (as in German) the GT-R wouldn't be female in gender - it's neuter!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 12-09-2007 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: erratum
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #58
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

I think it's hot. Yeah, it's a litttle ricer, but not too much, in my opinion. It has a raw presence to it. The driving experience, I'm sure will be thrilling.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #59
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I think it's hot. Yeah, it's a litttle ricer, but not too much, in my opinion. It has a raw presence to it. The driving experience, I'm sure will be thrilling.
Mate, I would be thrilled to bits to have my arse in ANY of a M3 / GT-R / 911 / RS4 / R8 / 8C ... on the Nordschleife . I'm sure you get my drift.

My medium-term goal is to take delivery in Bayern and get over to the 'Ring as fast as the A9 , A99, A5 then A61 will take me

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #60
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Well, it does kind of prove that, as one member suggested in the regression thread, the GTR is not a UFO, and that we don't have to be concerned about Martians sucking our brains out.
+1. That was such a heated debate with all of the GT-R fans (and fanboys) thinking the GT-R was magic or something. Given it's power to weight it really is not that fantasitic. Clearly THEY HAVE NOT reinvented the sports car. This also gives an interesting data point to the M3. BMW with a hot shoe factory driver will be able to get the M3 round the Ring well south of 8:00!

@South: I know it is old news but that is one of the biggest problems with news - no one follows up the headlines (the headline being 7:38) with the analysis (courtesy of my idea and lucids excellent execution) then finally bringing it full circle with the SA time and an analysis of that. Don't you wish TV news had such follow through!

@leakybimmer: I don't understand your cryptic posts and butting in to every little discussion with some BS off the cuff comment about me. Say what you have to say, say it in a straight forward afashion and say to "to my face" (as much as you can do that on the internet...). Otherwise put a cork in it!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #61
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:

is this the official time or the one they ran with the test mule cars a while ago? i remember on the run with the test mule the track was wet at some parts and they pulled a 7:50 or so. can anyone confirm this is the official sport auto time with the production car? link to article? Hockenheim laptime?

Last edited by jworms; 12-09-2007 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 01:30 AM   #62
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

The official SportAuto time is 7:50. There was a post about it in the General Forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #63
southlight
Rep

Quote:
@South: I know it is old news but that is one of the biggest problems with news - no one follows up the headlines (the headline being 7:38) with the analysis (courtesy of my idea and lucids excellent execution) then finally bringing it full circle with the SA time and an analysis of that. Don't you wish TV news had such follow through!
You're absolutely right here. Just wanted to point out that this isn't a fully "official" SportAuto time since they haven't published/done their Supertest on the GT-R yet. Horst von Saurma just drove a preproduction car for some laps.
Anyway I'm afraid that these people won't post here and say: "Hey, you're right, we were jumping on this wagon too early." It's just like news: Everybody watches the "breaking news", nobody the revocation.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 04:14 AM   #64
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
is this the official time or the one they ran with the test mule cars a while ago? i remember on the run with the test mule the track was wet at some parts and they pulled a 7:50 or so. can anyone confirm this is the official sport auto time with the production car? link to article? Hockenheim laptime?
It's the latter. They haven't done a official test yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
The official SportAuto time is 7:50. There was a post about it in the General Forum.
No, see above.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #65
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Speaking of fan boys, the GT-R's laps are fully documented, picked apart and hashed over. We know it is faster than a 911TT no matter whose numbers you use.

Where have we seen ANYTHING about the M3 other than a few speculative quotes? BMW is even taking orders sans pricing!

None of the GT-R preview and review articles question the performance, imho where it may fall flat is in its everyday usability. I think they might have produced the Nissan 928 GTS. Fast, heavy, and finicky.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #66
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Clearly THEY HAVE NOT reinvented the sports car.
Errr, sorry, no one was talking about reinventing the sports car. The talk has always been 911TT performance with an M3 price tag.
Appreciate 0