BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM

08-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT

BMW Car Club of BC - 2013 Duffey Lake Trip

This past weekend, the BMW Car Club of BC did our annual 2 days driving trip into the Southern Interior of our province. 14 BMWs were in attendance, and here are my pictures and videos taken on the drive.

Here is the overall route map:

Meeting place in the morning of Day 1, at B:

Fuel stop between B and C:

Gathering the group after the mundane 4-lanes bit at C:

Fraser Canyons on the Trans Canada Highway, this 1hr 30min video includes a lot of drive-bys (which is why in passing lanes I was slooooooowly rolling down the side of our BMW-train until I got to the front, and then slooooooowly letting you guys pass by again, so I could get videos of each car), also lots of tunnel-blasting with the straight-piped E28 M5 and my supercharged Gen-4 Chevy Small Block

Lunch in Spences Bridge, formerly a major rail interchange but now all but a ghost town, D on the map:

Onto BC Highway 8, one of the best drives in the whole province. Plenty of nice footages within the 48min runtime of the black E36 M3 tackling the many curves of this great road:

Gas station in Merritt, E on the map:

BC Highway 97C to Logan Lake. Having pretty much the whole route to ourselves meant that, when the sightlines were good, you can see a line of BMWs (and a Porsche) stretching to the horizon. 34min long:

Logan Lake, copper mining town, F on the map:

Onto Lac La Jeune Road into Kamloops, our overnight stop. This 39min video ends with a BMW invasion of a hapless Kamloops suburb

Day 2 at our hotel in Kamloops, G on the map:

On the road to Savona. Next to the Fraser Canyons, this is the best that Highway 1 in BC offers, full of great sightlines and long sweeping curves (and even a speed trap) in this 27min video:

Tunkwa Lake Road. This drive may be named after the Duffey Lake Road, but often times it's this one that gets people talking. 27min of GREAT driving footage showing the E61 535xi Touring in action as I was able to get my nose in there as close as I dared

The wagon and I emerged from Tunkwa Lake Road, after being held up by an RV with a mere 10km to go. Assuming that everyone else in the group had long gone, we BOOKED IT toward Cache Creek. It turned out to have been unnecessary, as the folks ahead had gone down the wrong road... but it was still great fun 37min of the "C-car" earning its keep as an honourary-BMW

Gathering the group in Cache Creek, H on the map:

Cache Creek to Lilooet / Seton Lake via Highway 99. When people mention Highway 99, most likely they are talking about either the interstate-like straight stretch joining Greater Vancouver to Interstate-5 on the border, or the Sea to Sky from Horseshoe Bay to Whistler. Or, when WE talk about 99, we mean the Duffey Lake Road between Pemberton and Lilooet. However, I personally think this final stretch (BC Highway 99 ENDS / BEGINS where we turned left from Highway 97, which you can see in the video) stands pretty well on its own. Apologies for the bug strike for the last ~20min of the video

Seton Lake Reservoir, I on the map:

Duffey Lake Road! Got the bug cleaned up, took some nice pictures atop Seton Lake Reservoir, ready for the namesake drive of the weekend... and then the Touring and I had to suffer 20min of COACH, of all things (I sped up the video 4x for that bit, for your sanity). (legally) Storming past the coach also knocked the camera askew The upside is, though, after that bit, both of us had a BLAST, figuratively and literally. We finally had to slow down as we descended the mountain into Pemberton, due to a slightly queasy stomach... and then I ran out of film (I had figured that 1hr was enough to cover the ~70km from Seton Lake to the golf course, but the COACH said NOPE!)

Finally, the Sea to Sky Highway. This video was taken after we had parted ways at the Big Sky Golf Course, and I wanted to showcase the impressive engineering that went into widening this mountainside / Oceanside road. Especially since, driving southbound, you can see the cliffside overhangs quite well. Video starts from Squamish and ends as I return to civilization in Horseshoe Bay.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

cool pics/vids...i love that E28 M5!

thanks for sharing.

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0