BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

08-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Spring upgrade for KW Clubsports

Hello all, looking to upgrade the springs on my KW Clubsports. I currently have Eibach springs but I was informed they're not the correct spring rate (90lbs instead of 110lbs)

I figured instead of just throwing new Eibach springs back in, I could upgrade all of the springs in uniform.

I've heard good things about swift springs? What's the consensus on upgrading helper springs? I'm looking for a flat ride. I drive my car on the street, but a harsher ride isn't the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Hello all, looking to upgrade the springs on my KW Clubsports. I currently have Eibach springs but I was informed they're not the correct spring rate (90lbs instead of 110lbs)

I figured instead of just throwing new Eibach springs back in, I could upgrade all of the springs in uniform.

I've heard good things about swift springs? What's the consensus on upgrading helper springs? I'm looking for a flat ride. I drive my car on the street, but a harsher ride isn't the end of the world.
If you ever plan on running wide tires and want shorter springs to raise the perch, the highest travel springs I've seen (based on published figures) are the Eibachs. Also, 90n/mm is not incorrect for the front, it's just the earlier version of the clubsports. The spring rates were changed at some point to 110 n/mm front and 120 rear.
      09-07-2020, 11:26 PM   #3
Icecreamfoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boosted

Quote:

I've tried a couple different rate combinations of SWIFTs on my clubsport when I was on it several years back, all with better than KW springs results - from a handling perspective. Dont think there is a must-be spring rate you have to stay with, it all depends on your preference/usage.

Did not upgrade my helper springs; I ran clubsport's original helpers as the main SWIFT upgrade gave me enough of what I wanted, particularly in the front when it comes to improved turn in response

If you dont have a shop to work with, you can call into SWIFT's US office in Chino Hills
      09-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
P1zzaboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 '08

Do the swift springs fit front and rear without machining KW parts?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
I would like to see the data that shows swift coilover springs handle better than eibach or hypercoil of the same rate...
      09-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #6
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
I would like to see the data that shows swift coilover springs handle better than eibach or hypercoil of the same rate...
I never said swift was the best—mainly just looking for recommendations. Eibach, hyper-co, and swift all seem to be extremely high quality. I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference in performance between the three if they're all the same spring rate...then again, what do I know? I'm the one asking all of you guys for advice ahah. My KW Clubsports are the first set of Coilovers I've purchased thus far.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #7
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I never said swift was the best—mainly just looking for recommendations. Eibach, hyper-co, and swift all seem to be extremely high quality. I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference in performance between the three if they're all the same spring rate...then again, what do I know? I'm the one asking all of you guys for advice ahah. My KW Clubsports are the first set of Coilovers I've purchased thus far.
Haha sorry. Not directed at you specifically. I just see this weird swift spring thing all over the internet like they are magical springs.
derbo3605.50
      09-19-2020, 11:55 PM   #8
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haha sorry. Not directed at you specifically. I just see this weird swift spring thing all over the internet like they are magical springs.
I know what you mean. The only reason I mentioned swift in my original post is because it seems like that's just what everyone uses. I think I'll be sticking with 110lb Eibach springs for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:00 AM   #9
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

The only real differences I see between the 3 main spring guys:

Swift doesn't make non-metric springs like 2.25"ID
Eibach/Hyperco are definitely more readily available if you need stuff in a bind in the USA.
Hyperco has a lifetime warranty on certain criteria on their springs. I haven't seen anything similar from the other two on their websites.

https://www.hypercoils.com/lifetime-warranty/

You seriously can't go wrong with either 3 companies. They all make great coilover springs from my experience.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
911r889.00
      09-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
Captain Caveman
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 e92 M3

Quote:
https://www.swiftsprings.com/advantage/
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #11
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post
That's just a link to Swift's website with vague marketing material lol.
      12-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Adding to this point; getting my springs upgraded now (672f, 896r) and the owner of the shop told me that they don't like to use hyperco springs as they "tend to sag after a while" — I'm going with Eibach because all of the swift springs are back ordered. I'll try Swift along with JRZs for my next build.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #13
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

^That's a first I've ever heard of that from Hyperco. Swift will be the first to lose rate and sag from everything I've seen and I've always read Hyperco to be the best in regards to maintaining their original spec.
      12-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #14
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
^That's a first I've ever heard of that from Hyperco. Swift will be the first to lose rate and sag from everything I've seen and I've always read Hyperco to be the best in regards to maintaining their original spec.
Interesting, I'm sure they're all fine .. HyperCo does have an excellent warranty too which makes them more appealing.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #15
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Dinan has a Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit. I'm getting this in conjunction with their springs, but I think it will work with any springs you choose.

I heard this kit is a game changer.

Here is the actual blurb from Dinan:

This kit includes tuned, progressive rate bump stops that maximize suspension travel on the lowered car for improved handling capabilities and ride quality when compared to just a spring set.

In addition to the bump stops this kit includes front guide supports that increase available suspension travel by 3/8" and Dinan rear shock mounts that provide an additional 1/2" of shock travel for improved ride quality and performance.

By allowing for full compression travel within the spring the possibility of a sudden "bottoming out" is negated a common unwanted side effect when lowering a vehicle. Bump stops also have the added benefit of optimizing the spring rate rewarding those that use them with added mechanical grip and cornering power.

Simply, put the Dinan supplemental ride quality and handling kits amplify performance and comfort when paired with performance spring sets.

Kit with EDC:

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D193-9031

Kit without EDC:

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D193-9034
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 11:58 PM   #16
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Dinan has a Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit. I'm getting this in conjunction with their springs, but I think it will work with any springs you choose.

I heard this kit is a game changer.

Here is the actual blurb from Dinan:

This kit includes tuned, progressive rate bump stops that maximize suspension travel on the lowered car for improved handling capabilities and ride quality when compared to just a spring set.

In addition to the bump stops this kit includes front guide supports that increase available suspension travel by 3/8" and Dinan rear shock mounts that provide an additional 1/2" of shock travel for improved ride quality and performance.

By allowing for full compression travel within the spring the possibility of a sudden "bottoming out" is negated a common unwanted side effect when lowering a vehicle. Bump stops also have the added benefit of optimizing the spring rate rewarding those that use them with added mechanical grip and cornering power.

Simply, put the Dinan supplemental ride quality and handling kits amplify performance and comfort when paired with performance spring sets.

Kit with EDC:

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D193-9031

Kit without EDC:

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D193-9034
I think you are confused. The KW clubsport is a complete coilover which includes top hats with camber plates. It uses linear springs that does not work with a stock style shock and top hat.

That Dinan kit is designed for use with regular lowering springs and stock-style shocks. It will not work with KW clubsport suspension.