BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-07-2018, 01:29 AM   #1
sleestak
Private
20
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alexandria VA

iTrader: (0)

Is the Competition ZCP package more desirable?

I am an owner of a 2012 6MT with ZCP option but have been watching this M3 that has been for sale the past few weeks in MN.

Seems to be in great condition located at a BMW dealership with low miles, 6MT, black/black, no accidents, reasonable price and also has the premium sound system. A car like this (especially a 6MT/low miles) I can see selling quickly no matter the distance so I'm surprised it even lasted a day! In fact, had I not found and purchased my ZCP about a month ago I probably would have pounced on this one without hesitation.

Thoughts why it seems to be taking longer to sell? Seems like a pretty solid M3....which we all know is getting hard to find those...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2424/overview/

Last edited by sleestak; 07-07-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
CSBM5
Lieutenant Colonel
CSBM5's Avatar
682
Rep
1,720
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (1)

The number one reason is right there on the options list: sunroof.
__________________
Current Stable:
2019 F87 M2 Competition 6MT, LBB, slicktop - on order
2011.5 E90 M3 6MT Silverstone II, slicktop, Dinan/Eibach, Apex 9.5/10.5x19 with PS4S
2006 E90 330i 6MT Electric Red, ZSP (M2C will replace this one )
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, 219Ms
Appreciate 3
BOOF-M33249.00
6ixSpd2539.50

      07-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
BOOF-M3's Avatar
United_States
3249
Rep
3,526
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Pasadena Florida

iTrader: (1)

#2 reason non ZCP.
Appreciate 2
CSBM5682.00
xander_g376.00

      07-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
Bomiz
Captain
Bomiz's Avatar
233
Rep
740
Posts

Drives: SS E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
#2 reason non ZCP.
why are you still awake? O.o Because I haven't slept yet
__________________
09 Silverstone E92 M3
Follow my IG! @BomizM3
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
BOOF-M3's Avatar
United_States
3249
Rep
3,526
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Pasadena Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
#2 reason non ZCP.
why are you still awake? O.o Because I haven't slept yet
Florida time, it was 7:30

Reason #3 there was a 13k mile oil change.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
UPSROD
Major
386
Rep
1,248
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Richland, Wa.

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Reason #4, you have to wash it every day!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
sleestak
Private
20
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alexandria VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
The number one reason is right there on the options list: sunroof.
Though I'm not a huge fan of the sunroof, I myself was also looking for one with a CF roof and found it extremely difficult to find with all the other options I preferred....the ZCP package and 6MT being some of them.

Mine sadly has the sunroof option (but also has ZCP and 6MT). When I was debating the purchase their were three other buyers waiting right behind so that's why I was boggled to see the car at Motorwerks BMW sitting for so long. If a car (like this one) has low miles, limited previous owners, 6MT, great color combo, etc. I would think it would sell pretty quickly. After all - it is a very solid E92 M3 6MT!

So for me, my car had every other option except the CF roof so I purchased it. I will say that I have seen some people carbon fiber wrap the roof with the sunroof option and though it's not the same it actually looks really good "appearance wise". I have considered doing it but probably won't.

You can see images of mine here where I purchased from Hendrick BMW in Charlotte, NC: https://www.flickr.com/photos/771678...57697501555584

Last edited by sleestak; 07-07-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
sleestak
Private
20
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alexandria VA

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, but my question is why?? Why is ZCP so much more desirable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
#2 reason non ZCP.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
UPSROD
Major
386
Rep
1,248
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Richland, Wa.

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
The biggest reason at least on this site is the wheels! Everybody on here seems to want them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1738
Rep
6,362
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
The biggest reason at least on this site is the wheels! Everybody on here seems to want them.
Bingo. Beautiful and classic wheel design.

The lowered ride height helps complete the look but obviously the aftermarket is more than happy to help there.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 1
UPSROD386.00

      07-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #11
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
BOOF-M3's Avatar
United_States
3249
Rep
3,526
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Pasadena Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestak View Post
Yeah, but my question is why?? Why is ZCP so much more desirable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
#2 reason non ZCP.
The name says it all "competition package". It was a $2,500 option when the car was new. I don't think it's any different than comfort access, a lot of buyers want that as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #12
jv92red
Enlisted Member
22
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: E92 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I just picked up my E92 a few weeks ago. More than my want list (ZCP), was my do not want list. So I'll list those first in order of importance:

1) No Black or blue cars (dark colors show dust and swirl marks like no other
2) No Sunroof. (Carbon roofs pop on lighter color cars and show more aggressive)
3) No DCT
4) No cloth interior

I found a few nice cars I passed over because of those requirements. I ended up with a 2010 Alpine White carbon roof 6MT with 20K miles for $36K.

If I were still looking, I would still pass this car without a second glance even at cheaper price than I paid for mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #13
MJBO
Private First Class
MJBO's Avatar
Australia
109
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E90 DCT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
The biggest reason at least on this site is the wheels! Everybody on here seems to want them.
Iíll be swapping the factory 220s mine came with first chance I get. Theyíre such a good looking wheel on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #14
M3_92101
Enlisted Member
28
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2008 E93
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
Reason #4, you have to wash it every day!
And looking at the photos on the dealer website, it DOES look like the previous owner washed it daily.... The car seems to be in some serious need of paint correction. Black is a difficult color on an older vehicle to keep looking new.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
EricSMG
Lieutenant
249
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv92red View Post
I just picked up my E92 a few weeks ago. More than my want list (ZCP), was my do not want list. So I'll list those first in order of importance:

1) No Black or blue cars (dark colors show dust and swirl marks like no other
2) No Sunroof. (Carbon roofs pop on lighter color cars and show more aggressive)
3) No DCT
4) No cloth interior

I found a few nice cars I passed over because of those requirements. I ended up with a 2010 Alpine White carbon roof 6MT with 20K miles for $36K.

If I were still looking, I would still pass this car without a second glance even at cheaper price than I paid for mine.
Yep, but nothing looks as good as a clean black car. So if you want the best you have to put in the most effort. You can go MUCH longer between washes with lighter colors without the car looking like shit, I'll give you that. Black car must be washed weekly.

The lighter colors can be quite handsome but they lack any real depth or reflection. That said, the only two colors I would really consider are Jet Black and Alpine, in that order.

Totally agree on the cloth interior - hideous.

To the OP - I specifically didn't want a ZCP.

Last edited by EricSMG; 07-07-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:53 PM   #16
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
STooK's Avatar
United_States
448
Rep
1,679
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

I agree not the best combination of options but not bad enough for it to sit around either. Sunroof on a black car is the only time I might be ok with a sunroof, because not as obvious as a lighter colored car. Coupe and 6MT should be enough to sell this car and honestly I think it's priced really fair. Someone will pick this up soon.

As for ZCP, it wasn't a requirement for me but it's one of those things I'm glad my car came with. Absolutely love the 359's and the slight drop on the ZCP package. It's definitely more in demand than non ZCP models.
__________________
2013 BMW E92 ///M3 AW/BLK ZCP ZPP CF Roof 6 Speed - Perfection
2011 BMW E93 ///M3 MW/FR/BLK 6 Speed - Gone but not forgotten

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #17
GotV8?
Second Lieutenant
172
Rep
225
Posts

Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: OHIO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I agree with above comments, I am Not a fan of sunroof, however, I probably wash my Jerez E92 at least once a week, sometimes 2 times to keep it looking clean. This will be the last dark vehicle that I will ever own and keep. Down the road will probably buy only Silver or White car only.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #18
Grip Addict
Lover of V8s
Grip Addict's Avatar
43
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (1)

What I have read in this thread is the same thing I have heard many times before.

People making excuses on why they did not get a ZCP or why they did not find one.

If money was no option everyone would have a ZCP or even better a GTS, no one would be like oh yeah I decided I wanted to just get a non-ZCP.

I had a jackass friend who tried to tell me he got the V6 Mustang instead of the V8 GT because it was more smoother. Technically correct due to not having a V8 and being pointless.

If money was no option no one would have a Ferrari F430, they would all have 430 Scuds, same with any performance model of a performance model.

Think Corvette guys. Yeah I got the base Stingray because I wasn't a fan of the Z06 or ZR1.......GTFO of here. You settled financially don't try to up sell a base Corvette to a Z06.

All this being said, I have seen some base cars get modded so hard they can shit on any higher tier performance model. But that scale is less than 1 out of 10.
Appreciate 4
xander_g376.00
6ixSpd2539.50
thkfast198.00

      07-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #19
CSBM5
Lieutenant Colonel
CSBM5's Avatar
682
Rep
1,720
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
The name says it all "competition package". It was a $2,500 option when the car was new. I don't think it's any different than comfort access, a lot of buyers want that as well.
...and heated seats. CA was a mandatory option when I was looking for the M3 6 years ago and the E91 two years ago. Ordered it on the E90 330i and we quickly became spoiled. After just selling my E39 M5 recently, now have no car that requires physically using a key any more.

When I was hunting for my E90 M3 back in 2012, I was specifically looking for non-ZCP cars, lol. I was looking for a slicktop and 6MT but no ZCP. I wanted to have a competitive F-stock SCCA autocross car, and the SCCA had not yet passed the new rule allowing up/down 1" in diameter for wheels. Hence any ZCP car with its 19" wheels would not be competitive since back then no competitive tires were produced in 19". The BFG Rival had just come out, the RS3 was a competitor, etc. Similarly, I did not want EDC shocks on the car either.

Looking back on it, I'm surprised I ever found a very low mileage, garage queen, slicktop, 6MT, comfort access, heated seats, no zcp, no edc out of only about 180 2011 6MT slicktop cars.
__________________
Current Stable:
2019 F87 M2 Competition 6MT, LBB, slicktop - on order
2011.5 E90 M3 6MT Silverstone II, slicktop, Dinan/Eibach, Apex 9.5/10.5x19 with PS4S
2006 E90 330i 6MT Electric Red, ZSP (M2C will replace this one )
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, 219Ms
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #20
pbonsalb
Major General
1347
Rep
5,366
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Itís a 5-10 year old car at this point. The suspension will be needing work. I would not pay any premium for ZCP alone now.

You can buy aftermarket wheels and suspension if you want. Some people with ZCP who track their cars disable the EDC to run a more performance oriented suspension and run wider than ZCP wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #21
Bartledoo
Captain
Bartledoo's Avatar
United_States
309
Rep
662
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
What I have read in this thread is the same thing I have heard many times before.

People making excuses on why they did not get a ZCP or why they did not find one.

If money was no option everyone would have a ZCP or even better a GTS, no one would be like oh yeah I decided I wanted to just get a non-ZCP.

I had a jackass friend who tried to tell me he got the V6 Mustang instead of the V8 GT because it was more smoother. Technically correct due to not having a V8 and being pointless.

If money was no option no one would have a Ferrari F430, they would all have 430 Scuds, same with any performance model of a performance model.

Think Corvette guys. Yeah I got the base Stingray because I wasn't a fan of the Z06 or ZR1.......GTFO of here. You settled financially don't try to up sell a base Corvette to a Z06.

All this being said, I have seen some base cars get modded so hard they can shit on any higher tier performance model. But that scale is less than 1 out of 10.
All of those examples are of major performance changes between tiers. The comp package on the E9X doesn't really provide performance advantages.

Also, I disagree that everyone wants the comp package. I don't want 19" wheels, and I don't want comfort suspension mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #22
spazzyfry123
Captain
spazzyfry123's Avatar
United_States
678
Rep
964
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT Stripper
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
I specifically did not want ZCP because I didn't want EDC suspension. Just "another" thing to go wrong and more expensive to replace. I've since got 359 wheels, so...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST