BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

06-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
motion732
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F30 335 M Sport

Question for E92 M3 Owners in NJ

I'm looking at potentially picking up an E92 M3 6MT coupe as a weekend / occasional track car. I've quite frankly been in love with the car since I'd first laid eyes on it but haven't actually driven one until today. I found an '08 for sale with 80k miles, 5 owners and a ridiculously loud Dinan exhaust and it drove good but not as good/fast as i'd expected. I'm not sure if this car in particular was worn out, especially on acceleration, or that's just how they feel.

So, my question to anyone in the NJ area, if you would let a prospective m3 buyer (and f30 owner) give your car a quick spin and tell me about your experience with the car to see if it's something i really want to move forward with.

Feel free to PM or respond here if you'd be willing

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Not as good you'd expected? Please describe.. Not as fast you'd expected? Who told you E92 m3's are fast car? I would say look for something else with same price range..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 12:43 AM   #3
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Did you take it up to 8300 RPM?
      07-01-2017, 01:23 AM   #4
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I've driven other e9x M's with higher miles and they sure felt different than mine. The one you drove sounds like it's had a rough life and probably wasn't the best representation of what the car's capable of. I'd say go drive a '12-13 with low miles from a dealer and you will know right away how these cars are supposed to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
motion732
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Not as good you'd expected? Please describe.. Not as fast you'd expected? Who told you E92 m3's are fast car? I would say look for something else with same price range..
Best way to put it was sluggish - soft throttle response and didn't pull particularly hard. Ran it out to about 8k in 2nd gear. It's a 400+hp car and that's plenty fast for me.

Last edited by motion732; 07-01-2017 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
motion732
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
Did you take it up to 8300 RPM?
About 8k.
Appreciate 1
jdamore435.50
      07-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
motion732
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
I've driven other e9x M's with higher miles and they sure felt different than mine. The one you drove sounds like it's had a rough life and probably wasn't the best representation of what the car's capable of. I'd say go drive a '12-13 with low miles from a dealer and you will know right away how these cars are supposed to drive.
That's what I'm thinking. Engine bay was freshly detailed so no signs of oil/fluid leaks or other visible signs of neglect. No service history and 5 owners. The rotors were absolute toast and the wheel barrels look like they'd never been cleaned. Paint was swirled to hell. Exhaust + short shifter were the only mods I was able to find. Interior was shredded. Aside from the ownership history, none of this was evident in the listing.

I'd posted here because i'd like to drive one without pressure of a salesperson and have a genuine conversation with an owner (I don't know anyone with an e92 m3).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The car most likely needs maintenance; spark plugs, filter, fluids change etc. These cars are relatively easy to work on. Parts can be expensive but if you can DIY, you can easily perform most of the required maintenance.

If the price is right, go for it. It's a fantastic platform to own.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
motion732
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
The car most likely needs maintenance; spark plugs, filter, fluids change etc. These cars are relatively easy to work on. Parts can be expensive but if you can DIY, you can easily perform most of the required maintenance.

If the price is right, go for it. It's a fantastic platform to own.
Good info but the drive of this car was more to see what an e92 m3 drove like in general rather than going in to buy it. I did walk in there saying to myself, "if this thing is in good shape, i'll consider it" but it most certainly was not. i'm somewhat of an amateur auto detailer and the amount of imperfections, especially on the interior, would drive me nuts. I'd end up spending $ replacing stuff than on modifications.

just for info, i'm looking to spend about $30k on a 6mt coupe, preferably ss ii, with sub 60k miles and a solid service history. i think it's realistic but could take some time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
JRob23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Why not set up more dealer visits and test drive their cars? They'll absolutely let you push the car, but I would be talking with them 'while in the car driving' about your intentions to push it a little, opposed to providing a nice surprise.

No need to drive someone else's car imo. Also, wanting someone to share their experience or "sell you on the car" (as I'm hearing it) may not also be the best step approach to a purchase decision.

You can search to find endless reviews, drive several dealer lot m3's, and come to your own conclusion. Then Circle back with examples of vehicles on your target list and I'm sure no one will have a problem providing their opinion on which may be the best buy. In the end, it's all about what speaks to you.

Great e92 m3 at Circle BMW in Eatontown (I was just there poking around while getting my car serviced). 2013, 17k miles, forget which black it was, dct, I think cinnamon interior, $44k list price. Go check it out. I'd be happy to meet you there and share my thoughts.

Last edited by JRob23; 07-01-2017 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
motion732
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob23 View Post
Why not set up more dealer visits and test drive their cars? They'll absolutely let you push the car, but I would be talking with them 'while in the car driving' about your intentions to push it a little, opposed to providing a nice surprise.

No need to drive someone else's car imo. Also, wanting someone to share their experience or "sell you on the car" (as I'm hearing it) may not also be the best step approach to a purchase decision.

You can search to find endless reviews, drive several dealer lot m3's, and come to your own conclusion. Then Circle back with examples of vehicles on your target list and I'm sure no one will have a problem providing their opinion on which may be the best buy. In the end, it's all about what speaks to you.

Great e92 m3 at Circle BMW in Eatontown (I was just there poking around while getting my car serviced). 2013, 17k miles, forget which black it was, dct, I think cinnamon interior, $44k list price. Go check it out. I'd be happy to meet you there and share my thoughts.
I would set up more dealer visits but I can't find any in manual that are relatively local
and that's a full-on requirement for one i'd consider purchasing. The one at Circle is DCT unfortunately.

I see what you mean about having someone sell me on their car but that's not really the case. I've got a pretty good idea what the car offers at this point but am struggling to actually drive one to quantify it myself.

what if i find one for sale that hits my spec list but requires shipping and i wouldn't have actually driven one? it'd be pretty hard to pull the trigger without really knowing what i'm getting.

Last edited by motion732; 07-02-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0