BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

11-18-2022, 02:00 AM   #3499
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Let's file this one under: Keep trying!

Well, another GTA Finals @ Buttonwillow has come and gone. I went in with hopes of hitting a long-standing goal. Didn't quite get there, but I was very close---within .29 sec. And there was some pretty encouraging stuff in the data. One of the more interesting things I found in the data was that I actually did a rolling lap of 1:46.8.

Anyway, there were a number of other things in the data that I was happy about. My minimum speeds improved in Bus Stop (86.3mph) and Riverside (105.6mph), and I set a new top speed before braking into Sunset (137.1mph). Overall, I was driving the middle of the track from Grapevine (the corner after Cotton Corners) through Sweeper quite a bit better than I ever have. However, I was struggling to match my 2018 speeds in Turns 2, the exit of Cotton Corners, the exit of Sweeper and Sunset. The exit of Sweeper was really my biggest Achilles heel. I talked to a data guy at the track who looked at my data. He gave me some insight on how to approach it differently.

The track is overall bumpier than it was in the past. The most glaring turn is Sunset.....holy cow is it bumpy. And don't just take my word for it. Watch the video below. I bought the CaliPhotography photos and videos and they captured me going through Sunset-----yuck. What am I doing---bouncing around on a pogo stick? That turn was never like that before.

In the video below, the first turn shown is Grapevine. The second turn is Sunrise. And the last bounce house--I mean turn--is Sunset.

The car setup felt really good. All the adjustments I made prior to the event felt like they were the right direction. Unfortunately, on Sunday, I did have the tail step out on me as I approached Phil Hill. I don't know whether I need to continue revisiting the car's setup, or just chalk it up to a cold track and tires on their first hot lap of the day. I am considering the idea of stepping down the rear spring rate. We'll see.

The whole weekend was quite social. Titan-7 hosted two things at the track that were fun. At this point, I know quite a few people at GTA, so it's nice to roll around the paddock on the scooter and chat with people. There was a good crew from Colorado. I believe there were 5 drivers from CO.

I was really happy that at this event, basically no laps were impeded. It was great to be able to go out on track and try to put my best down without having the track shutdown due to other cars having tech issues.

Anyway, I learned a lot this weekend at Buttonwillow. It had been a long time since I was there, and I think I was approaching the track differently, which for the most part was good. The current setup of the car felt capable. Honestly, the track really does feel like it's slowing down. When you compare the grip level at Chuckwalla to Buttonwillow, the difference is stark in my opinion.

I will return to Buttonwillow next month the week before Xmas. I hope to return with good tires again and see what's possible. I'll keep trying to reach my goal!

A few pix:

Appreciate 7
flipm3191.50
Bartledoo2691.50
Kelse921131.50
fanatic11018.50
      11-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #3500
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Let's file this one under: Bad Sweeper exit----BAD! Go to your room! And don't come out until you give me my half-a-second back!

Alright, well a dogbone weekend wouldn't be complete without a little crying in your spilled data milk. I mean, isn't that what the data is there for? To make you feel like crap about your driving? Wait---that's not what it's for?

During the GTA event, someone encouraged me to update my AIM Race Studio software because they were really digging the new RS3 Analysis software. So, while at the track, I installed the latest AIM software. The new RS3 Analysis has a few features I really like. The rest of the newness is---whatever. The nice part is that you can till use RS2 Analysis if you want to. They're both available.

What I like in RS3 Analysis:
-My favorite feature is that while comparing laps in the analysis software, you can now assign whatever lap you want as the reference lap. Been wishing for that for a long time.
-It's nice to see your driving line drawn onto a Google map image of the track.
-the default layout has your Measures page with the map visible for easy viewing.

What I don't like:
-RS3 Analysis is not consistent with old AIM sessions from the original DL device. Some stuff doesn't show up right and you need to go back to RS2.
-Exporting sessions as CSV files for Race Render is quite a bit less convenient.
-So far, map handling when using your own custom maps with your own splits is clumsy and problematic. Tech support says it's mostly a Buttonwillow thing.....huh?

Not working yet:
-There is a totally new feature called Predictive Reference Laps that I'm curious about. Basically, you can choose a lap and transmit it to the AIM Solo 2 DL and tell it to use that lap time as the reference lap that all your laps will be compared to. So, for example, I should be able to choose my Buttonwillow fast lap from 2018, and then transmit that lap to the AIM so that every lap I run throughout a day is compared to that lap. I haven't been able to make it work yet, and tech support wasn't super familiar with it and couldn't help me, so I'm not sure this feature is fully up and running yet. It might only be in beta mode......don't know...Ironically, tech support sent me a pdf of how to get it up and running, but my software doesn't show the same things as in the pdf. Anyway, I think this could be a cool feature.

ok, let's look at a little data----Below is a screenshot comparing the two 1:47 laps that were in the video. The blue reference lap is the first lap 1:47.3, and then red lap is the 2nd lap that was 1:47.2---the one where the Sweeper exit was not my best moment.

What we can see here is that red lap's time delta line was below (faster than) the blue reference line for most of the lap. And where I have the cursor at the braking point for Sweeper, it was 0.493sec faster than the previous 1:47.3 blue lap. This puts me squarely in 1:46 territory for most of the lap. However, I got impatient in the middle of Sweeper and it cost me. You can see at the minimum speed of sweeper inside the green circle, I tried to accelerate a bit to keep speed up. But all this did was create more understeer and force me to have to wait to get on the gas at the exit of Sweeper. You can see in the speed chart that the red acceleration line is quite a bit to the right of the blue acceleration line, which means I got on the gas noticeably later. This is what cost me the time. And in the lower chart in the lower green circle, you can see all that 0.493second advantage vaporizes as I go up the Esses.....

My takeaway from this is that I need to enter Sweeper with as much speed as possible, allow the turn to scrub speed, and then stay off the gas so that my weight balance keeps weight on the nose, so that when I want to do the final turn-in to exit Sweeper in that decreasing radius moment, I have steering grip, and then I can get on the gas as early possible for the exit. The data seems to show that keeping speed up in Sweeper by pressing the gas creates understeer issues that force you to wait to get on the gas at exit. And since that's the beginning of a really long full-gas pedal section, getting on the gas as quickly as possible is the best choice.

So, as usual, I have plenty of stuff to think about for next time. Wish I didn't have to wait a whole month!
Appreciate 4
b4hand661.00
rhyary1563.00
flipm3191.50
roastbeef11586.00
      11-18-2022, 02:17 PM   #3501
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Was great fun following over the weekend livestream.

Was really pullin for you on that 46 on Sunday, but I understand now how and why didn't quite happen.

In the sweeper on the red lap, it looks like you pick up a little bit of mid corner speed, was it maybe grip on that lap was a little better and it wouldn't take that throttle on the blue lap?

Love the data !
Appreciate 2
slcook541863.00
dogbone5354.50
      11-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #3502
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

You may want to add steering angle to that section so you can see if you are steering more, but the car turn less
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 12:23 AM   #3503
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Was great fun following over the weekend livestream.

Was really pullin for you on that 46 on Sunday, but I understand now how and why didn't quite happen.

In the sweeper on the red lap, it looks like you pick up a little bit of mid corner speed, was it maybe grip on that lap was a little better and it wouldn't take that throttle on the blue lap?

Love the data !
Thanks for checking it out! Yeah, on Sunday, it was cold and cloudy---no sun to warm the track at all. I did one warm up lap and then was on a hot lap. Just touched (didn't hammer) the inner berm on that left to go up to Phil Hill and as soon as I touched it, the tail stepped out. Been around that corner hundreds of times. Never had an issue. I chalk it up to the combo of cold track and relatively high pace. I think I just need to do two warm up laps when it's cold and it's the first session of the day.

On the lap where I lost the time on the exit, basically, I was dabbing the gas mid-corner trying to keep speed up, but what I ended up doing was creating more understeer since I was in a turn which forced me to wait 75 feet more feet to get on the gas....and that little hesitation cost me half a second. Just another example of how little things on track can have significant impacts on a lap time.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      11-19-2022, 12:38 AM   #3504
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
You may want to add steering angle to that section so you can see if you are steering more, but the car turn less
Yup, I looked at all that---steering angle, Lat-G's, gas pedal. My steering angle went up and the G's went down.....so I had to wait another 75 feet to get back to gas compared to the previous lap.

And the delay is even more obvious when comparing to the fast lap from 2018. In 2018, I would say I did a good job of bringing the speed down consistently and then getting the heck out of there quickly. I mean, look at how much further to the right (later) the acceleration red line is than the blue line. And that nets a result of being over half a second faster than the 2022 lap just in that exit......apparently I need to go back and watch my own videos more.....hahaha

You've made the comment before that I dab the gas mid-turn. I get impatient. This time the result was a notable time loss.
Appreciate 1
rhyary1563.00
      11-19-2022, 05:44 PM   #3505
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post

Looks like the right side might have less than optimal contact patch. Can you soften high speed bump or, not something I'd ever do, but avoid hitting the curb so hard? Maybe you're using the curb to help rotate the car? If so, never mind.

Last couple of things: You need yellow headlight covers. Worth 0.5 second/lap each. Also need a tasmanian devil teeth stencil painted on the lower grill. Again, 0.5 sec/lap. Now you're fighting for the 1:45s. You're welcome.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 2
slcook541863.00
Davisca4552207.50
      11-19-2022, 09:51 PM   #3506
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Looks like the right side might have less than optimal contact patch. Can you soften high speed bump or, not something I'd ever do, but avoid hitting the curb so hard? Maybe you're using the curb to help rotate the car? If so, never mind.

Last couple of things: You need yellow headlight covers. Worth 0.5 second/lap each. Also need a tasmanian devil teeth stencil painted on the lower grill. Again, 0.5 sec/lap. Now you're fighting for the 1:45s. You're welcome.
That pic is from the top of Cotton Corners. Even when I had the soft JRZs on the car, the right side of the car was always in the air there. Just part of the charm of that corner. You gotta hit the berm to some extent to point the car the right way.

Yellow headlight covers and Tasmanian devil teeth…..hmmmm no. Gotta find that time somewhere else.
Appreciate 2
fanatic11018.50
admranger2984.50
      12-13-2022, 06:11 PM   #3507
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Bimmer Challenge is at Buttonwillow this weekend. The weather looks amazing. I have another set of new Michelin S8 slicks.

Been looking at data pretty hard. Been watching videos.

One item that has been turning around in my head quite a bit is that I kinda wish the spring rate was slightly lower in the rear given how much front grip I have with this current splitter angle. The off I had approaching Phil Hill illustrated to me that car is still a bit high strung in the rear--at least in certain conditions (like cold weather, which it will be this weekend). However, being on 60mm internal diameter Eibach springs, the increments are 10Nm which is around 50lbs, and I don't want to go down 50lbs.

I called MCS to see if they could quantify how changing nitrogen pressure could net an effective spring rate equivalent change. The answer is yes! According to MCS, a 10 psi change in nitrogen = 5.5 lbs spring rate change. I'm at 130 psi in the rear. So, if I go down to 100 psi, which is the MCS minimum, it would equal a reduction in spring rate by 16.5 lbs. This is about the amount of change I'm interested in.

I also did some research to see what my options were regarding spring rates with Eibach, Swift and Hyperco. Turns out Hyperco makes 60mm ID springs in lbs/inch. My current 100Nm springs = 570bs. So, I bought some 550lbs Hyperco springs and will take those with me to Buttonwillow.

So, I'm hoping between springs and nitrogen, I can find something that feels good.......not that what I have now feels bad, but if I can settle the rear just a bit more, I think that would be a good thing. (I'm not super excited about doing a trackside spring change, but I've done it before......I think I'll start with the nitrogen change first. )

(I considered switching my rear spring perches to 2.25" ID because I have 2.25" in the front, and there just seems to be more options, but geez, it's expensive......like over $400 just for the perches..... )

I've been keeping the car in its current configuration to see if I can get to 1:46 as it's setup now. It definitely is technically possible. Whether I can get the job done is another matter. Regardless of how this weekend goes, I plan to make the car a bit lighter in the new year---nothing drastic. I'm sure a bit more weight loss would help my goals at Buttonwillow.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing a bunch of friends this weekend at Bimmer Challenge! And I hope I can put down a few good laps!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 08:04 PM   #3508
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

have you given any thought to experimenting with a staggered setup? if you could fit wider tires out back, maybe you could dial back the wing angle a smidge and not lose anything with bigger rears.
      12-13-2022, 10:30 PM   #3509
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
have you given any thought to experimenting with a staggered setup? if you could fit wider tires out back, maybe you could dial back the wing angle a smidge and not lose anything with bigger rears.
I’ve run Yoko slicks staggered. The problem is there are technical challenges with super fat rear tires. One of them being, the fat 300 Yoko rear tire would rub the fuel filler tube. So if you really want to run fat tires, I think you need to go widebody, and I just haven’t wanted to go that route.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      12-13-2022, 10:40 PM   #3510
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Bimmer Challenge is at Buttonwillow this weekend. The weather looks amazing. I have another set of new Michelin S8 slicks.

Been looking at data pretty hard. Been watching videos.

One item that has been turning around in my head quite a bit is that I kinda wish the spring rate was slightly lower in the rear given how much front grip I have with this current splitter angle. The off I had approaching Phil Hill illustrated to me that car is still a bit high strung in the rear--at least in certain conditions (like cold weather, which it will be this weekend). However, being on 60mm internal diameter Eibach springs, the increments are 10Nm which is around 50lbs, and I don't want to go down 50lbs.

I called MCS to see if they could quantify how changing nitrogen pressure could net an effective spring rate equivalent change. The answer is yes! According to MCS, a 10 psi change in nitrogen = 5.5 lbs spring rate change. I'm at 130 psi in the rear. So, if I go down to 100 psi, which is the MCS minimum, it would equal a reduction in spring rate by 16.5 lbs. This is about the amount of change I'm interested in.

I also did some research to see what my options were regarding spring rates with Eibach, Swift and Hyperco. Turns out Hyperco makes 60mm ID springs in lbs/inch. My current 100Nm springs = 570bs. So, I bought some 550lbs Hyperco springs and will take those with me to Buttonwillow.

So, I'm hoping between springs and nitrogen, I can find something that feels good.......not that what I have now feels bad, but if I can settle the rear just a bit more, I think that would be a good thing. (I'm not super excited about doing a trackside spring change, but I've done it before......I think I'll start with the nitrogen change first. )

(I considered switching my rear spring perches to 2.25" ID because I have 2.25" in the front, and there just seems to be more options, but geez, it's expensive......like over $400 just for the perches..... )

I've been keeping the car in its current configuration to see if I can get to 1:46 as it's setup now. It definitely is technically possible. Whether I can get the job done is another matter. Regardless of how this weekend goes, I plan to make the car a bit lighter in the new year---nothing drastic. I'm sure a bit more weight loss would help my goals at Buttonwillow.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing a bunch of friends this weekend at Bimmer Challenge! And I hope I can put down a few good laps!
Very cool!
What are your current shock ranges(eg 3way 18 clicks) and what does each click equate to? Maybe this will help calibrate your spring equivalent ranges more accurately. Or, maybe a 10psi reduction can be more easily
Found in a couple of clicks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #3511
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
Very cool!
What are your current shock ranges(eg 3way 18 clicks) and what does each click equate to? Maybe this will help calibrate your spring equivalent ranges more accurately. Or, maybe a 10psi reduction can be more easily
Found in a couple of clicks.
Damper changes aren't equivalent to a nitrogen change or spring rate swap. While there is some crossover, they do different things. Spring rate will determine the steady state handling balance while the dampers play no role at that point. Dampers can be used to tune handling balance at transitionary states when the weight is being transferred. Once the weight is transferred, the damper has no effect.

Gabe, what front spring rate are you running? I'm surprised to hear you're going lower then the 570 you're currently at in the rear. Oversteer issues?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #3512
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Damper changes aren't equivalent to a nitrogen change or spring rate swap. While there is some crossover, they do different things. Spring rate will determine the steady state handling balance while the dampers play no role at that point. Dampers can be used to tune handling balance at transitionary states when the weight is being transferred. Once the weight is transferred, the damper has no effect.

Gabe, what front spring rate are you running? I'm surprised to hear you're going lower then the 570 you're currently at in the rear. Oversteer issues?
Can you explain this? If you have a canister with 100lb of nitrogen, there is an associated range (let’s call the range 75-125) as you adjust rebound and comp. Now you fill with 150lb of nitrogen, you’ve influenced that range. How can the nitrogen, which is adjusted through valving, not be an influence?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 01:15 PM   #3513
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you explain this? If you have a canister with 100lb of nitrogen, there is an associated range (let’s call the range 75-125) as you adjust rebound and comp. Now you fill with 150lb of nitrogen, you’ve influenced that range. How can the nitrogen, which is adjusted through valving, not be an influence?
I think he's saying that damper changes don't do what nitrogen and springs do.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #3514
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm at 850lbs in the front.

(Just reminding that I have full coilover rears.) The 570lbs that I have been running in the rear was perfect (at least for me) prior to the VIR incident. Very nice neutral balance. I had gone through 4 spring changes before I settled on the 570s (started on 728 (talk about loose......), then 670, 620, 515 and then 570). These odd spring rates come from Eibach's 60mm Nm system. They don't offer lbs/inch in 60mm. (Racewerkz didn't have 2.25" ID perches in stock when they put my damper set together.) The 620lbs springs worked, but you SERIOUSLY needed to be on your game because the tail was active. The car would rotate quite easily----in my book, too easily. So, I settled on 570.

After the car was put back together, the front splitter had to be setup from scratch, and we purposefully set it up with more angle of attack, and holy cow, the turn in at any speed was crazy. haha when have you ever heard of an E9x M3 with too much front grip?! Buuuut with no setup changes to the rear, the rear became quite loose---even at over 100mph exiting Riverside, the tail stepped out a couple times and I had to countersteer it. The downforce in the rear from the wing at 100mph should be massive. For the tail to be stepping out at that speed is not my favorite scenario.

At Buttonwillow a month ago, I worked on dialing in more AOA on the rear wing. Kept pushing the AOA until I was understeering in Riverside and then backed it off. I've also been adjusting the dampers, and I've got a setup with the 570lbs springs that feels pretty darn good, but I can't get this nagging feeling out of my head that a slight reduction in spring rate in the rear would be a good idea to chill the rear out just a bit more. But I didn't want to drop a full 55lbs to the 515lbs spring that I have on hand. That seemed like too much.

As I mentioned before, I was able to find 60mm ID 550lbs springs from Hyperco. I don't think a 20lbs change is going to massively change the car. But I think it could be just the thing to settle the rear just a tad more. So, that's the direction I'm going.

And, today, I just lined up with EAS that I may just go ahead and do the spring swap on Friday along with all the other tech work we have to do. That way I can get it aligned at Chewerks before heading up to Buttonwillow.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11487.00
fanatic11018.50
      12-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #3515
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think he's saying that damper changes don't do what nitrogen and springs do.
Correct.
Maybe I misinterpreted your first post leo. But when you said 'Or, maybe a 10psi reduction can be more easily found in a couple of clicks.' sounded like you're suggesting instead of changing the nitrogen pressure, to do so with a damper adjustment. Which is why I said a damper adjustment does not accomplish the same thing as a spring rate adjustment. Given Gabe is talking about using the N2 pressure in terms of spring rate, that should apply.

I'm no expert but from my understanding, the N2 pressure also has other effects when it's changed (how it alters the offset force and the effect on the damping curve). But I don't see that playing a role or being applicable to this particular situation?

Last edited by tsk94; 12-14-2022 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 02:01 PM   #3516
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm at 850lbs in the front.

(Just reminding that I have full coilover rears.) The 570lbs that I have been running in the rear was perfect (at least for me) prior to the VIR incident. Very nice neutral balance. I had gone through 4 spring changes before I settled on the 570s (started on 728 (talk about loose......), then 670, 620, 515 and then 570). These odd spring rates come from Eibach's 60mm Nm system. They don't offer lbs/inch in 60mm. (Racewerkz didn't have 2.25" ID perches in stock when they put my damper set together.) The 620lbs springs worked, but you SERIOUSLY needed to be on your game because the tail was active. The car would rotate quite easily----in my book, too easily. So, I settled on 570.

After the car was put back together, the front splitter had to be setup from scratch, and we purposefully set it up with more angle of attack, and holy cow, the turn in at any speed was crazy. haha when have you ever heard of an E9x M3 with too much front grip?! Buuuut with no setup changes to the rear, the rear became quite loose---even at over 100mph exiting Riverside, the tail stepped out a couple times and I had to countersteer it. The downforce in the rear from the wing at 100mph should be massive. For the tail to be stepping out at that speed is not my favorite scenario.

At Buttonwillow a month ago, I worked on dialing in more AOA on the rear wing. Kept pushing the AOA until I was understeering in Riverside and then backed it off. I've also been adjusting the dampers, and I've got a setup with the 570lbs springs that feels pretty darn good, but I can't get this nagging feeling out of my head that a slight reduction in spring rate in the rear would be a good idea to chill the rear out just a bit more. But I didn't want to drop a full 55lbs to the 515lbs spring that I have on hand. That seemed like too much.

As I mentioned before, I was able to find 60mm ID 550lbs springs from Hyperco. I don't think a 20lbs change is going to massively change the car. But I think it could be just the thing to settle the rear just a tad more. So, that's the direction I'm going.

And, today, I just lined up with EAS that I may just go ahead and do the spring swap on Friday along with all the other tech work we have to do. That way I can get it aligned at Chewerks before heading up to Buttonwillow.
I'm familiar with weird spring rate intervals having KW's on my cars for the last while now (they use the same system as the Eibachs you mentioned).

You have much more aero then my car had, so I'm sure that's playing a big role. Particularly when you note the splitter tweak resulted in lots of front end at those spring rates. Good to hear you dailed most of it out with setup changes. I'd think more rear wing AOA (like you did) and softening the rear compression would solve most of the issues you had with the 570's. But I'd also likely be tempted to try a ~550 as well. You can use the nitrogen to drop it a bit further, but I think 550's might be the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #3517
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You have much more aero then my car had, so I'm sure that's playing a big role. Particularly when you note the splitter tweak resulted in lots of front end at those spring rates. Good to hear you dailed most of it out with setup changes. I'd think more rear wing AOA (like you did) and softening the rear compression would solve most of the issues you had with the 570's. But I'd also likely be tempted to try a ~550 as well. You can use the nitrogen to drop it a bit further, but I think 550's might be the ticket.
Yup, the changes you mentioned are ones that I made. Actually, the last change that brought it all together----literally felt like a eureka moment----was one click softer on rear rebound. My goodness, the car popped to life. So crazy to feel a change like that!

Yeah, I'm hoping the 550 is the special magical sauce that brings it all together. The setup is close. I mean c'mon, it can't be that bad.....I was solidly in 1:46 territory. Honestly, if I didn't have that off a month ago going to Phil Hill, I would have said the setup is there. But with that off track excursion, I'm left with that feeling that it's close, but could use a bit more attention.

I plan on dedicating Saturday to doing setup. And then hopefully, I'll be dialed in and ready to attack the course on Sunday during Bimmer Challenge. Looking forward to a dynamic weekend!
Appreciate 3
tsk941522.00
admranger2984.50
fanatic11018.50
      12-19-2022, 02:05 AM   #3518
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Let’s file this one under: Brrrrrrrrr and foggggggggy

Well, I put all my cards on the table this weekend. Took my best shot, and….still missed. Rolled a 1:47.4 and 1.47.5. But the conditions weren’t super fantastic. It was collllld and we never saw the sun once all weekend. Had fog delays. High on Sat was 41°F, and it was high 43° on Sunday. Most of the time it was in the 30s. The engine pulled hard, but the tires were not finding the best grip in those temps.

I had another snap oversteer on the new Michelins—this time after Cotton Corners. Not really loving that aspect of them. I had massively cording Pirellis that didn’t have that problem this AM. Once the Michelins are warm and toasty, they’re good. But if it’s too cold, they just lose it in random places. I know—-it’s hard to make any conclusions when it’s so cold, but this was what we had.

Anyway, it was a VERY social weekend which was great. Enjoyed seeing all the hardcore BMW track enthusiasts out there. Thanks to Elie, John and Andrew for the effort they put into Bimmer Challenge. Did you know there’s real cash prizes for end of the season/series podiums? $1200, $800, $400 for each class!

The data was frustrating to look at. At GTA, I drove the middle of the track very well, but the beginning and end poorly. Today, it was the opposite. I drove the beginning and end very well, and the middle of the track like a pile of garbage. I’m sure the combo of those two days would make me look like I knew what I was doing……Anyway, the journey continues on trying to learn and improve. At this point, there are a few things I’d like to do to lighten the car a bit more. We’ll see.

One note of concern: on Friday, when EAS was changing my oil, they found a fair amount of shimmering metal in the oil. I drove the car like I stole it all weekend. Worked fine, but gonna have to keep an eye on it. Man, I do not not need another engine swap in my life right now…..
Appreciate 7
roastbeef11586.00
tsk941522.00
rhyary1563.00
Ximian1919.00
fanatic11018.50
slcook541863.00
      12-19-2022, 07:32 PM   #3519
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
on Friday, when EAS was changing my oil, they found a fair amount of shimmering metal in the oil.
Unless the previous oil change was with 10w-glitter, any noticeable amount can't be a good sign. Hoping for the best.
      12-22-2022, 12:58 AM   #3520
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Unless the previous oil change was with 10w-glitter, any noticeable amount can't be a good sign. Hoping for the best.
Did the car go clubbing? Glitter is a byproduct.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0