BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

05-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #2619
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Depending on the type of truck you picked up, you may still have fueling related stops slowing down your travel time. If that's the case there are a couple options to either add a replacement larger fuel tank, or a supplemental one in the bed that you can use to refuel while on the road. It's down the road, but something to think about.

Hopefully I can get to HPR to watch you run the TT! When is it?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #2620
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Depending on the type of truck you picked up, you may still have fueling related stops slowing down your travel time. If that's the case there are a couple options to either add a replacement larger fuel tank, or a supplemental one in the bed that you can use to refuel while on the road. It's down the road, but something to think about.

Hopefully I can get to HPR to watch you run the TT! When is it?
It’s a 2500 HD with a 36 gallon tank. Should be good to go. I’ve seen a 60 gallon tank for the truck but I don’t think it’s necessary.

NASA HPR is June 19-20. Come on out!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #2621
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Let's file this one under---Yup, plans are always evolving.

Made a last minute decision to sign up for the NASA TT event at Pueblo Motorsport Park on Sunday. I'm squeezing the day in after what will be a busy Friday and Saturday with my daughter's high school graduation activities.

My E90 has never done a NASA TT day, so I've been eager to do a NASA day and see how everything shakes out. (I got my NASA TT license last year with my E92.) As I mentioned before, I just went through the process of classing the E90 for NASA. A bit of ballast was needed to make it more easily fit into TT1. Last night, I built a ballast setup that lets me add anywhere from 9 to 46 lbs in ~4.5lbs increments (yay drill press!). With this ballast, I can more easily manage the car's weight with fuel weight. Without the ballast, trying to make weight just with fuel was dicey. I calculated I would have to come into impound after a session still with at least 3/4 tank of gas. And even then it would be really close....so close that I was worried that variances in scale readings could be a problem. I've learned that in NASA TT, if you are below your stated minimum weight, you are DQ'd for the whole day. Blah.

Anyway, all this to say that there are a lot of logistical unknowns for me with classing into NASA. I think I've done everything correctly to class into TT1, but until I do an event and get on their scales and go through the whole process, I won't know. I figure an event like Pueblo is a great way to sort it all out. I would like to have my ducks in a row for the June High Plains event.

I've only visited Pueblo once in 2019 with my E92, so I'm still new to the track. And since I'm only running Sunday, I have to be realistic about my performance expectations.

I was happy to learn that the new NASA TT director for NASA Rocky Mountain is Ryan Dussex. I met Ryan at an SCCA TT in 2019 and I've continued seeing him at GTA events and open lapping days since. He's a really nice guy and he's really determined to make NASA TT a great experience for the drivers. I had a bunch of questions which he was able to answer.

This weekend, there are only three entries in TT1, so I guess there's no chance of Hoosier tire contingency. (You need 5 entries in a class for tire contingency eligibility.) TTU has 8 entries, but I probably wouldn't run Hoosiers in Unlimited. You know what----we'll see. While I can view the Saturday lap times and get a sense of what everyone else is putting down, I have no reference of what kind of lap I can do. Also, there are a bunch of requirements for Hoosier contingency like having to wear a Hoosier patch on your suit......yeah, I don't have that. Do they have that stuff at the track? Or does Hoosier need to mail that to you?

So, I'm looking forward to putting some laps down on Sunday. Weather looks pretty good. Should be a fun challenge!

(Is roastbeef sitting gnashing his teeth in a dark closet knowing that I'm adding weight to my car? Steel plates roastbeef! I'm bolting in STEEL PLATES into my car!!! No wait....that's me.....I'm gnashing my teeth......)
Appreciate 2
b4hand661.00
Kelse921131.50
      05-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #2622
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Are you using average WHP or peak WHP to calculate your min weight for TT1?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #2623
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Are you using average WHP or peak WHP to calculate your min weight for TT1?
Average.
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      05-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #2624
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I was happy to learn that the new NASA TT director for NASA Rocky Mountain is Ryan Dussex. I met Ryan at an SCCA TT in 2019 and I've continued seeing him at GTA events and open lapping days since. He's a really nice guy and he's really determined to make NASA TT a great experience for the drivers. I had a bunch of questions which he was able to answer.

This weekend, there are only three entries in TT1, so I guess there's no chance of Hoosier tire contingency. (You need 5 entries in a class for tire contingency eligibility.) TTU has 8 entries, but I probably wouldn't run Hoosiers in Unlimited. You know what----we'll see. While I can view the Saturday lap times and get a sense of what everyone else is putting down, I have no reference of what kind of lap I can do. Also, there are a bunch of requirements for Hoosier contingency like having to wear a Hoosier patch on your suit......yeah, I don't have that. Do they have that stuff at the track? Or does Hoosier need to mail that to you?
I chatted with Ryan recently online, Great guy and definitely makes me want to go up and visit CO for an event someday knowing he's TT director there.

As far as the contingency stuff goes depends on your region. Around here the Hoosier patch thing seems to me more for the road racers and the TT groups I haven't seen enforce it much (heck the current TT2 Cota lap record I'm pretty sure the driver is on video in shorts and a T-shirt). I think its easy to order those patches and more importantly, stickers, direct from Hoosier. Sometimes the regions have stickers available in their timing trailers just have to ask.

Good luck this weekend!

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads

Last edited by Kelse92; 05-18-2021 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #2625
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
It’s a 2500 HD with a 36 gallon tank. Should be good to go. I’ve seen a 60 gallon tank for the truck but I don’t think it’s necessary.

NASA HPR is June 19-20. Come on out!

dogbone After your second long tow I expect to see the following post: What fuel tank should I get for my truck?

You won't regret getting the 60 gallon tank. If you don't use the bed for other stuff, TransferFlow in bed tanks used to be the hot setup if you don't want to take the stock tank out. Auto transfers fuel to stock tank as you run it down.

There's just something about having 1000 mile towing range that is so nice. Yeah, I know your bladder can't (shouldn't) go 1000 miles, but stopping at a rest area for a pit stop beats waiting for a diesel pump to clear (bonus if access is decent which it sometimes isn't).

Not having to fuel with a trailer attached makes life so much easier for the short haul races too.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #2626
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

(Is roastbeef sitting gnashing his teeth in a dark closet knowing that I'm adding weight to my car? Steel plates roastbeef! I'm bolting in STEEL PLATES into my car!!! No wait....that's me.....I'm gnashing my teeth......)
ballasts are a necessary evil, but they also allow you to get rid of "high" weight and put it on the floor in the rear to balance out the car.
      05-19-2021, 08:27 AM   #2627
JScheier
Private
Rep
Drives: GTS3 BMW E36 in NASA

Quote:
I got lead sheets for ballast. Heavier for the same amount of space. Got them here: https://atlasmetal.com/lead.php
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #2628
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
I chatted with Ryan recently online, Great guy and definitely makes me want to go up and visit CO for an event someday knowing he's TT director there.

As far as the contingency stuff goes depends on your region. Around here the Hoosier patch thing seems to me more for the road racers and the TT groups I haven't seen enforce it much (heck the current TT2 Cota lap record I'm pretty sure the driver is on video in shorts and a T-shirt). I think its easy to order those patches and more importantly, stickers, direct from Hoosier. Sometimes the regions have stickers available in their timing trailers just have to ask.

Good luck this weekend!
Come on up for the June event! HPR is very challenging. I think the single biggest word that defines the place is-----blind. So many features are blind as you approach them. Add to that hills and off camber and you have a very challenging course.

For the June event, you would have two days prior to the competition days to start learning the track. Thursday night the 17th is an open lapping event. Friday the 18th is a NASA practice day. Then Saturday and Sunday the 19th and 20th are the competition days. So, you wouldn't have to just fly blind on day 1 of the competition.

That weekend is Father's Day weekend, so I know some people may have scheduling issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #2629
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
dogbone After your second long tow I expect to see the following post: What fuel tank should I get for my truck?

You won't regret getting the 60 gallon tank. If you don't use the bed for other stuff, TransferFlow in bed tanks used to be the hot setup if you don't want to take the stock tank out. Auto transfers fuel to stock tank as you run it down.

There's just something about having 1000 mile towing range that is so nice. Yeah, I know your bladder can't (shouldn't) go 1000 miles, but stopping at a rest area for a pit stop beats waiting for a diesel pump to clear (bonus if access is decent which it sometimes isn't).

Not having to fuel with a trailer attached makes life so much easier for the short haul races too.
haha the stock tank should get me 350-400 miles towing. I think that's plenty for me. Remember, for the last 8 years, I've been working with an effective towing range of about 200 miles with the Tundra, so this is feeling like unlimited range for me!
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      05-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #2630
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
ballasts are a necessary evil, but they also allow you to get rid of "high" weight and put it on the floor in the rear to balance out the car.
haha just had to rib you a little.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      05-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #2631
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScheier View Post
I got lead sheets for ballast. Heavier for the same amount of space. Got them here: https://atlasmetal.com/lead.php
Wow. Lead. That's pretty wild!

I didn't need much weight, so the steel is fine for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #2632
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Come on up for the June event! HPR is very challenging. I think the single biggest word that defines the place is-----blind. So many features are blind as you approach them. Add to that hills and off camber and you have a very challenging course.

For the June event, you would have two days prior to the competition days to start learning the track. Thursday night the 17th is an open lapping event. Friday the 18th is a NASA practice day. Then Saturday and Sunday the 19th and 20th are the competition days. So, you wouldn't have to just fly blind on day 1 of the competition.

That weekend is Father's Day weekend, so I know some people may have scheduling issues.
Sounds like a fun track! I really do want to make a trip up there.
Sadly June is a bit tough for me already with a NASA TX event at Hallett on the first weekend and my sister's wedding the weekend after that. But I see an event on the schedule for October and that's a quiet month around here so maybe I can aim for that one!

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #2633
JScheier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Let's file this one under---Yup, plans are always evolving.
Made a last minute decision to sign up for the NASA TT event at Pueblo Motorsport Park on Sunday. I'm squeezing the day in after what will be a busy Friday and Saturday with my daughter's high school graduation activities.
Somehow I missed this. I'll be at PMP all weekend. GTS usually paddocks down towards Turn 9 - 10. If you need anything, let me know.

I actually like PMP more than HPR (yeah, shoot me). Once you get comfortable, the flow is really nice. Turn 5, 6a through 6B into Turn 7 takes cojones to fly through. Turn 7 can be a challenge until you see someone drive it correctly. Turn 10 is always a pucker (drag strip entry).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 07:05 AM   #2634
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScheier View Post
Somehow I missed this. I'll be at PMP all weekend. GTS usually paddocks down towards Turn 9 - 10. If you need anything, let me know.

I actually like PMP more than HPR (yeah, shoot me). Once you get comfortable, the flow is really nice. Turn 5, 6a through 6B into Turn 7 takes cojones to fly through. Turn 7 can be a challenge until you see someone drive it correctly. Turn 10 is always a pucker (drag strip entry).
Appreciate it. I'll try to pop by and say hi. I suspect the morning will be a fair amount of running around for me. But hopefully later in the day things will mellow a bit.

Yeah, I recall that T5-7 combo being a bit of a roller coaster. T10.....looking at that drag strip prepared rubber as you come around that corner is just unpleasant....that shiny rubber is so freaky.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #2635
JScheier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I recall that T5-7 combo being a bit of a roller coaster. T10.....looking at that drag strip prepared rubber as you come around that corner is just unpleasant....that shiny rubber is so freaky.
The center portion of the track at turn 10 leading into the burn-out box has a center section (4' wide maybe) of concrete that hasn't been painted, burned out or prepped. Setting up for 10 so that you get two tires on that section (late apex 10) works well when the track is greasy/wet/not prepped in that section.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #2636
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Let's file this one under: Yay! Full AIM data is back!! Wait......which bathroom have I been using all day?.....

Went to Pueblo Motorsports Park on Sunday for NASA TT. I could only attend Sunday because on Saturday we had a graduation party for my high school graduate. This was the first time the E90 has ever done a NASA event. My primary focus was on the logistics surrounding the event----what does the car weigh on NASA scales, getting through tech, badging the car up, making sure the car can class cleanly into TT1, etc. The track itself and my performance in the event were secondary because I've never been to Pueblo with this car, and I've only been to Pueblo once two years ago with my E92.

How did it go? The day went very well. But the weather was looking problematic at the beginning. I left my house at 5:15AM and it was pouring rain as I left. The track is a 90 mile drive from my house. It rained quite solidly until I got about 15 miles from the track. And even though it wasn't raining at the track, everything was sopping wet when I arrived. I was pretty bummed. And TT was the first session on track at 8AM......My car is a garage queen when it rains. I don't even have wipers on the car. The wire motor no longer functions. Anyway, it didn't rain anymore and the breeze that picked up started drying things. Plus, Colorado has such low humidity that things can dry out REAL quick. Of course, that breeze didn't just stay a breeze----it started howling later in the day.....ah Colorado.

The car got through tech without any hassles. I paid the $20 to get a tech logbook so I only have to tech once for the year. The car weighed quite a bit heavier on the NASA scales than the scales at the shop. It was heavy enough that I could remove the ballast if I wanted. (I did later in the day.) I was happy with the results of the weighing, but it showed me that I really need to weigh the car before the event if possible so I can adjust the ballast as needed based on a particular set of scales.

This year, in Rocky Mtn region, they are splitting the TT people into two groups---TT-A and TT-B. This is soooo nice. It keeps the car count down to about 10-12 cars per group. I really dig that.

By 8AM, it was still looking wet, so I skipped the 8AM session for TT-A. I was concerned that in Turn 10, the prepared rubber from the drag strip would be super slick if it was wet. The fastest cars from Saturday also skipped it. But as the 8:40AM TT-B session was approaching things were looking pretty dry. I asked if I could jump into that session to practice. They said yes. I asked if I could run my Pirellis while I practiced and have them DQ that session. They said yes. So, I jumped out on track in the TT-B group and starting trying to learn the track as quickly as possible.

I had watched a bunch of video to put the track back in my head. I knew the layout in general from my one visit two years ago with the E92, but the E90 is just SO different---power, weight, aero. The gearing of my car is just not good for Pueblo. I always found myself at the top of gears before getting to braking zones and not sure if I should upshift or hold the high revs. It took some time to figure out the shifting. Usually, that's not much of an issue, but at Pueblo, I was duking it out with the shifting all day.

First session: Went fine. I was all over the place trying to figure out braking zones, shifting, grip, Turn 10 prepared rubber. I put down a 1:37.7 late in the session. That didn't seem terrible when considering the lap times I had seen from Saturday. (The fastest lap on Saturday was a 1:36.8 done by a Camaro.)

Second session: Everybody was ready to go for Session 2. This time I was on the A7's. Still had the ballast in the car. Ran 1:37.3. Beat the Camaro by 0.1 sec. Was throwing the car around harder. Really happy to see it largely sticking. There was a NASCAR car in the group and he had a dramatic off behind me. I was going around Turn 7---I look in my convex rear view mirror and I see a white car going sideways from left-to-right across my whole mirror......I was like holy crap! He was fine so we could all laugh about it later, but man, it's not everyday you see vehicles flying around in your rear view mirror. (I had taken a cool down lap, so our gap was narrowed down, so he was pretty close to me during that lap. He was using me as a rabbit and I guess the car got away from him in T7.)

Third session: Oh man, the wind picked up something FIERCE. It was howling. And it was warm---83ºF. I didn't care. I just wanted laps to learn the darn track. Had a good lap going in the 1:36s, but I blew it in Turn 8. The car was getting tossed around in the wind, and I was trying to see where the limits were for braking. Had to settle for a slower 1:37.7, but was 0.4sec faster than the Camaro in that session.

Fourth session: A mix of TT-A and B groups. Wind had calmed down a bit. Still blowing some, but not howling anymore. Temps were 81ºF. I was now feeling pretty confident that I at least knew the basics of the track. I wasn't driving smooth by any stretch. But at least I knew where I was going. Was hoping I could grab a 1:36. Went out first lap and ran 1:36.3 which won TT1 and was good enough for fastest lap of the weekend. Had another good lap going, but I caught a TT4 car with two turns to go. I backed off. After passing the TT4 car, I tried another lap, but man.....the oil temps were so high. It was a good one in the 1:36s but I couldn't get through the last two turns at full pace----flat out overheating. The car was done. So, I backed off and called it a day.

Thoughts on my driving: I wasn't being very smooth. This was one of those cases where I was just trying to go as fast as possible as quickly as possible in a place I don't really know, which I don't think is very good for putting the proper pieces together to learn a track. But, I only had one day, and I did the best I could with the four driving sessions I had. I wish I had another day so I could go back and apply what I learned, but I suspect it will be awhile before I return.

The track has a lot of quick transitions and early in the day, I was all over the place. Later in the day, I could see from watching the video that I started smoothing out some sections, and then when you looked at the data, that smooth driving was a fastest sector of the day. My virtual best amongst 5 sectors was a mid-1:35. Whenever you see a large delta between your best lap and virtual best, it means you're not being consistent----not surprising at a new track. At times, I was pushing the A7's past their limits. But not throughout the track. I can definitely brake later, but that is something I learn over time. There is much more learning to do there and some good time gains to be had. I was not testing the hairy edge limits of the track. I only dropped two wheels once throughout the day.

I was happy with the car's feel. The splitter's rub blocks only rubbed the ground mildly when I was really jamming into turns. I really like the latest softer rear springs. Turn in felt good, but if you really go in hot, the car will tend to slight understeer. I'm liking that.

Turn 10, the final turn onto the front straight, was even more of a problem for me than I thought it would be. This is the turn with the drag strip prepared rubber on it. It had dried from the rain, but that didn't make it any good to be on as far as I was concerned. The first session, I late apexed and just avoided it by going down the middle of the track where it's bare concrete. Second session, I tried on one lap to get on the rubber and see how it was.....NO GO! The turn wasn't so bad, but once I was accelerating down the straight, the rear end got light and wiggled......I was like UHHH NO WAY!! For the rest of the day, I avoided the rubber. That is NOT worth it in my book. I know I'm losing time there by tightening the turn and not tracking out and I couldn't give less of a shit. I don't know what I'll do in the future on that turn, but feeling that tail move was enough to keep me off it for now.

I was thrilled to see that I seem to have solved my AIM data issues. This was a big topic early in the week. A few weeks ago, AIM told me I should get an AIM Solo 2 DL-specific CAN cable. The one in my E90 was the old AIM Solo 1 DL cable. The new cable arrived this week and this led to a whole adventure. While I was messing around with the old T-Tap connector on the CAN bus wire of the car, I was noticing that the T-Tap connector would spin on the wire. I was figuring that this would lead to bad connections. So, I tried to put a new T-Tap connector on the wire......yeah well the T-Taps I had were too big for the wire and wouldn't cut the sheath. So, it wasn't working. Of course, all of this is requiring me to mess with the CAN wire quite a bit.....and then.....the CAN wire on the car got fully severed. AH! I always tell people I know nothing about wiring and electronics, so of course, I'm freaking out. I didn't even own proper wire strippers until this week. Anyway, I was able to patch the CAN wire, and I integrated the AIM wire directly into the CAN bus butt connector so it's a very solid connection. Phew.

The day was quite social. I only knew two people there. So, I was making a bunch of new acquaintances throughout the day. Met someone who knew the dogbone thread. Always nice to meet new people.

hehe late in the afternoon I made a silly realization that had me laughing at myself. Throughout the day, I had being going to the same bathroom and I wondered why there were no urinals on the wall. Finally, the last trip to the bathroom, I realized I had been going in the Female bathroom all day long! Oops! It was so clean in there though!

So, all in all, a good day.

Here's my fast lap:

That third session was pretttttty windy......even the orange cone couldn't handle it.....
Appreciate 5
Kelse921131.50
tsk941522.00
b4hand661.00
atopa2002202.50
roastbeef11586.00
      05-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #2637
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

Quote:
That third session was pretttttty windy......even the orange cone couldn't handle it.....
When you hear me talk about how much I hate wind... it's because I spent 16 years of my life in Pueblo and the wind blows like this. ALL. THE. TIME.

Nice work on the laps this weekend! The car looks like its working well for you... I can't wait to get out to BW and hopefully have the same confidence.
      05-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #2638
JScheier
Private
Rep

Sorry I missed you. Had some issues on Saturday and ended up packing it in and heading home. You have more time out there... just familiarity and smoothing it all out. My best GTS3 race lap was a 1:37.2 in Race #1 on Saturday... before the rain and most likely during the first 15 minutes of the 30 minute sprint race (old dude loses concentration after 20 minutes ).

And my Zebulon splitter took a beating. I could smell burning carbon fiber in turns 1, and 6a-b. No bueno. Ryan will be getting some of my repair $$s this fall
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #2639
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
When you hear me talk about how much I hate wind... it's because I spent 16 years of my life in Pueblo and the wind blows like this. ALL. THE. TIME.

Nice work on the laps this weekend! The car looks like its working well for you... I can't wait to get out to BW and hopefully have the same confidence.
Thanks! Yeah, the feel of the car is coming together. Man, I really do wish I could have been out there today to put some more laps down. Would love to have built off of what I learned yesterday.

The wind----yeah.....I'm realizing it's just part of CO tracking......Ironically, this AM, the weather was perfect---not a cloud in the sky and the wind was dead still. I was like, where were you yesterday!?

Do you think you'll change springs before Buttonwillow? Or wait until you're at the track? Will be interesting to see what setup you end up with where you feel the car is dialed in.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #2640
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

Quote:
Do you think you'll change springs before Buttonwillow? Or wait until you're at the track? Will be interesting to see what setup you end up with where you feel the car is dialed in.
I'm going to change the rear bar for sure since that's a bigger job. I may also swap the front springs to the 5.5" 750s I got just so I have a known quantity up front and take the 1000/1120/1230 rears that I have and hope that between those + front swaybar adjustments I can finally land somewhere that I like.

If not, time to make some more invasive geometry changes and see how those work. I'm starting to think that the deflection from the factory rubber bushings was needed to settle the rear end down, and that the actual geometry back there needs to change a bit to get it all working harmoniously now that it's all spherical. Time will tell.