BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

03-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #199
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Yes I was referring to the number of plates that are activated. I found that I liked 7 plates activated since it still gave me adequate lockup and didn't get my rear tires as hot. But different car with a different unit so it's not a direct comparison.
A good differential really does make a noticeable difference in the way a car feels and responds. Great build!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #200
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Yes I was referring to the number of plates that are activated. I found that I liked 7 plates activated since it still gave me adequate lockup and didn't get my rear tires as hot. But different car with a different unit so it's not a direct comparison.
A good differential really does make a noticeable difference in the way a car feels and responds. Great build!
Thanks!

Yeah I was interested to learn that some OS Giken Superlocks for an E9x M3 have 7 clutch plate sets per side. I have 5 per side. I wonder if that's part of the custom setup, or have they modified the general design? Something has to change if you have less clutch plates. Is it the housing case? I don't know….
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #201
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I'm happy that Post #200 in this thread can be a fun little update from the weekend:

I won 1st Place in my Unlimited RWD class at Global Time Attack's Buttonwillow event on Saturday with a 1:50.35! I ran the second fastest time of the day out of 47 cars. (A sick looking GTR ran 0.9 faster for the fastest lap of the day. C'mon---he's 4-wheel drive!! )

The car ran really well. This was the first time driving the car after I had all 4 AP Racing brake calipers rebuilt with new seals. After reinstalling the calipers, I decided to flush/bleed the brakes myself for the first time. The bleeding process was quite torturous, and I think I need some instructions on how to make it go smoother next time. But the brakes worked fine, so at least I did it.

During the event, the Start/Finish-line flag worker caused some chaos in one of sessions…..We had just finished our warm up lap and were supposed to be on our first hot lap and as we were coming through the Start/Finish Line to start the first hot lap, he was stretching his arm out over the wall holding a Yellow flag…….

Well, some saw it, others didn't, and for several of us, it was confusion out there and so some people were trying to pass while others thought we were under Yellow. It turns out he was mistaken and there should NOT have been any Yellow flag on course. It's a shame the flag worker hosed that session because it was an early session when the weather was nice and cool and I had fresh brand new tires. That should have been the session to drop the hammer. But instead, that session was a waste….I ended up driving my fastest lap during the last session of the day when my car said it was 80ºF out…..

Editorial note: GTA changed the treadwear ratings allowed in various classes this year and I don't think they got it right. Last year I ran TD's in GTA Limited class. This year anything under 100 Treadwear goes into Unlimited….sort of a bummer. When the crazy cars come out to play, I won't have a chance. I guess I could try slower tires and drop down classes, but I don't own any tires with a 100-199 tread wear rating….Interestingly, to run in Unlimited, you MUST have a 6-point full cage, so if you want to run a Hankook TD (80) or better, you need to show up with a caged car. It sounds to me like they're trying to slow the times down in the first three classes.

Anyway, since being bumped up to Unlimited, I was surprised and thrilled I could get the win! I even got a Meister watch for running the fastest time in Unlimited Class!
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #202
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I'm happy that Post #200 in this thread can be a fun little update from the weekend:

I won 1st Place in my Unlimited RWD class at Global Time Attack's Buttonwillow event on Saturday with a 1:50.35! I ran the second fastest time of the day out of 47 cars. (A sick looking GTR ran 0.9 faster for the fastest lap of the day. C'mon---he's 4-wheel drive!! )

The car ran really well. This was the first time driving the car after I had all 4 AP Racing brake calipers rebuilt with new seals. After reinstalling the calipers, I decided to flush/bleed the brakes myself for the first time. The bleeding process was quite torturous, and I think I need some instructions on how to make it go smoother next time. But the brakes worked fine, so at least I did it.

During the event, the Start/Finish-line flag worker caused some chaos in one of sessions…..We had just finished our warm up lap and were supposed to be on our first hot lap and as we were coming through the Start/Finish Line to start the first hot lap, he was stretching his arm out over the wall holding a Yellow flag…….

Well, some saw it, others didn't, and for several of us, it was confusion out there and so some people were trying to pass while others thought we were under Yellow. It turns out he was mistaken and there should NOT have been any Yellow flag on course. It's a shame the flag worker hosed that session because it was an early session when the weather was nice and cool and I had fresh brand new tires. That should have been the session to drop the hammer. But instead, that session was a waste….I ended up driving my fastest lap during the last session of the day when my car said it was 80ºF out…..

Editorial note: GTA changed the treadwear ratings allowed in various classes this year and I don't think they got it right. Last year I ran TD's in GTA Limited class. This year anything under 100 Treadwear goes into Unlimited….sort of a bummer. When the crazy cars come out to play, I won't have a chance. I guess I could try slower tires and drop down classes, but I don't own any tires with a 100-199 tread wear rating….Interestingly, to run in Unlimited, you MUST have a 6-point full cage, so if you want to run a Hankook TD (80) or better, you need to show up with a caged car. It sounds to me like they're trying to slow the times down in the first three classes.

Anyway, since being bumped up to Unlimited, I was surprised and thrilled I could get the win! I even got a Meister watch for running the fastest time in Unlimited Class!
Nice! Congratulations! I was looking for the full results because I wanted to see how you did, but they seem to be cryptically hidden from view - they don't seem to be on the GTA site, at least as far as I can tell. That kinda sucks that the flag worker blew it on the coldest laps of the day :/
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #203
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Nice! Congratulations! I was looking for the full results because I wanted to see how you did, but they seem to be cryptically hidden from view - they don't seem to be on the GTA site, at least as far as I can tell. That kinda sucks that the flag worker blew it on the coldest laps of the day :/
Thanks!

Here's the link on the GTA Facebook page with all the results:

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalTimeA...97125560365224
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:29 AM   #204
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:

Congrats! Came across a video of your 1:49 BW time and you are absolutely flying. Had the flag guy not made a mistake, you probably would of bested that.

You're pulling serious G's on slicks in the 1:49 run, have you data logged oil pressure yet?
      03-29-2016, 01:47 AM   #205
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
Congrats! Came across a video of your 1:49 BW time and you are absolutely flying. Had the flag guy not made a mistake, you probably would of bested that.

You're pulling serious G's on slicks in the 1:49 run, have you data logged oil pressure yet?
Thanks!

I had high hopes for that session, but you know how it goes with the best laid plans.....one dude standing out there with a yellow flag and it turns to chaos.

That 1:49 is on R1S tires which is not a full slick.....at least not a slick like a Michelin or A005.

As far as oil pressure, the AIM Solo DL doesn't track oil pressure. Perhaps it can be tracked/logged by the Bavarian Technic cable/app? I'm curious, what's your interest in oil pressure? I haven't heard of anyone actively tracking that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #206
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
What percentage lockup did you set it to? I had a clutch type differential on a previous car and took it apart 3 times to flip clutch plates before I found my preferred settings.
I don't know % lockup. OS Giken decided all of that and didn't tell me. They purposefully remained vague about some of the details saying that some of the setup info is proprietary and is based on their database of all the race cars they have setup over the years.

Is % lockup something that can be calculated based on number of active plate sets and ramp angles or some other parameters? The OS Giken unit in particular is a little unique from what I understand because it has different Pressure Ring Tuning Spring options in the 16 holes in the Pressure Rings (mine is pictured below). Those, along with different Cone Spring options and the setup as far as pre-load goes starts getting to be a little "Black Box-like"…..

Here's all I know. Maybe you can tell me the % lockup based on this? I would love to know…..

-1.5 setup
-Ramps: Based on Y-axis---35º on Power, 25º on Decel. (On X-axis: 55º/65º)
-All 10 clutch plate sets are active.
-There's "hardly any preload" is what I was told. (whatever that means)

Power out of corners much earlier and straighter now vs stock? I need this too now.
      03-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #207
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
As far as oil pressure, the AIM Solo DL doesn't track oil pressure. Perhaps it can be tracked/logged by the Bavarian Technic cable/app? I'm curious, what's your interest in oil pressure? I haven't heard of anyone actively tracking that.
Just out of curiosity. Based on the video, you momentarily are pulling >1.4 Gs which is the limit to the stock OEM oiling system properly lubricating. Would be great to see data on whether such lateral/longitudinal forces are impacting the lubrication needs of the engine.
      03-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #208
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
Just out of curiosity. Based on the video, you momentarily are pulling >1.4 Gs which is the limit to the stock OEM oiling system properly lubricating. Would be great to see data on whether such lateral/longitudinal forces are impacting the lubrication needs of the engine.
Interesting. The AIM Solo DL can't do it, so if the BavTech can't do it, then I don't have any realistic way of checking it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #209
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

do you use any fluid/oil additives? what coolant do you use? any experiments with stuff like "water wetter?" ever look into oil additives like M0s2?
      03-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #210
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
do you use any fluid/oil additives? what coolant do you use? any experiments with stuff like "water wetter?" ever look into oil additives like M0s2?
No additives, but I change my oil on average after every 3 three track events (often times after 2 events, NEVER EVER more than 4 events), so I don't think I really need to add anything to the engine oil. It's just not in there long enough to break down.

Coolant is just distilled water and Water Wetter. Haven't touched it in a long time.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 02:27 AM   #211
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Nice win at GTA. Thats sick! Yeah the new classing kinda stinks...full cage required to lower than 100 TW is a bit crazy.

I use the android app called Torque and log my oil pressure via a Bluetooth OBDII reader.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #212
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
Nice win at GTA. Thats sick! Yeah the new classing kinda stinks...full cage required to lower than 100 TW is a bit crazy.

I use the android app called Torque and log my oil pressure via a Bluetooth OBDII reader.
Interesting. I do have a Wifi OBDII cable. I wonder if that could do it. I'll have to check into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #213
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Ok------let's file this one in the folder labeled "Don't follow dogbone's example":

Note to self: 4 years of simply wearing a helmet and ignoring it as far as cleaning makes it…...uhhh…..shall we say, a tad unfriendly.

For anyone reading who ignores their helmet as much as I do, pull the pads out of your helmet and clean them on a regular basis. And clean whatever you can't pull out too. DO IT NOW! Do it before you create new lifeforms in there!

argh, you don't even want to know the color the water turned that I was washing the pads in……I'm actually considering ditching this helmet because it just might be too late…..

The irony is I'm very careful with my race suit. I don't know why I have ignored the helmet…..I guess it's just one of those things that as soon as I remove it, I forget about it.

Anyway, just figured I'd share……yuck.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #214
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i think i asked you this before, but i can't remember... i know you have a ton of camber up front and your running jrz's and that seems to help lessen any rubbing... do you only rub at close to full lock?
      04-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #215
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
i think i asked you this before, but i can't remember... i know you have a ton of camber up front and your running jrz's and that seems to help lessen any rubbing... do you only rub at close to full lock?
You mean fender liner rubbing? When you run TD's in 295 or R1S at 285 in the front, it's just gonna rub the fender liners. Mine are getting trashed. But it doesn't rub the JRZ damper or spring perch.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #216
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

yea, thats what i was talking about, thanks. i'm rubbing a tiny bit, but not sure if its my street or track setup. i'm running 275/35's up front for each setup, but i suspect its the arc8's (exact wheels as you).
      04-05-2016, 02:12 AM   #217
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
yea, thats what i was talking about, thanks. i'm rubbing a tiny bit, but not sure if its my street or track setup. i'm running 275/35's up front for each setup, but i suspect its the arc8's (exact wheels as you).
Well, I'm thinking it's not the rims. I think the offset of the ARC-8's is a decent offset for our car.

The rubber is another story. All kinds of rubber can "fit" while the car is sitting there motionless. But once the wheel is turned and the damper is getting compressed hard, there's a whole other set of demands happening.

Honestly, a 275/35/18 is a fairly tall-sided tire----taller than a 285/30/18. A 275/35/18 has an overall diameter of ≈ 25.6", compared to a 285/30/18 which has an overall diameter of ≈ 24.7". When you're rubbing, these little differences matter.

Is your street rim a 19"? If you're running 275/35/19, that's even a bigger diameter at ≈ 26.6". Even my 295/30/18 is only ≈ 25".

Anyway, the rubber size on the tire has everything to do with the rubbing on the fender liners. I'd say the rims have less to do with the fender liners. The rim offset would have more to do with rubbing on the damper/spring perch and making sure the wheel fit within the outer edge of the fender itself.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #218
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

makes sense, i guess it would be my street setup that is rubbing. i'm on oem zcp 19's up front. it is a very slight rub that i can't even hear/notice when its happening. and you're right, my street tires are fairly tall- thats probably whats doing it.

i just wasn't sure if it was my 275/35's on my arc-8's. i knew i probably had some room to grow since you're running 295's, but i wasn't sure if it would be my fender liner or oem struts that would rub first.
      04-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #219
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
makes sense, i guess it would be my street setup that is rubbing. i'm on oem zcp 19's up front. it is a very slight rub that i can't even hear/notice when its happening. and you're right, my street tires are fairly tall- thats probably whats doing it.

i just wasn't sure if it was my 275/35's on my arc-8's. i knew i probably had some room to grow since you're running 295's, but i wasn't sure if it would be my fender liner or oem struts that would rub first.
I bet it's both wheel sets rubbing.

I bet the street setup rubs with certain wheel turns. The stock ZCP front tire size is 245/35/19 which is ≈ 25.8". A 275/35/19 is ≈ 26.6". So you're 3 cm wider and .8" larger diameter. This would give some opportunity for rubbing, but on the street, the rubbing is usually mild because the damper isn't compressed and wheel is spinning slowly. I seem to recall that 275/30/19 was a better option for the front.

On track, the 275/35/18 is less diameter than your street setup, but the dynamics of the track are causing the damper to be compressed more while the wheels are spinning quickly and the steering wheel is turned. So you're getting wear and tear from that too.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the height of the car affects all of this too. Obviously the lower the car is, the more susceptible you are to rubbing.

What width ARC-8 rim did you buy? 10"?
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #220
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Ok------let's file this one in the folder labeled "Don't follow dogbone's example":

Note to self: 4 years of simply wearing a helmet and ignoring it as far as cleaning makes it…...uhhh…..shall we say, a tad unfriendly.

For anyone reading who ignores their helmet as much as I do, pull the pads out of your helmet and clean them on a regular basis. And clean whatever you can't pull out too. DO IT NOW! Do it before you create new lifeforms in there!

argh, you don't even want to know the color the water turned that I was washing the pads in……I'm actually considering ditching this helmet because it just might be too late…..

The irony is I'm very careful with my race suit. I don't know why I have ignored the helmet…..I guess it's just one of those things that as soon as I remove it, I forget about it.

Anyway, just figured I'd share……yuck.
ha - i did this a while back and just bought a new helmet. Now i have a really stinky spare in case someone wants to ride along with others