BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

10-04-2020, 02:47 AM   #1
happyshifts
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

mods - please delete

delete post

Last edited by happyshifts; 10-21-2020 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Congrats and welcome! I've been building my track-ready daily driver M3 for 5 years now. I look to the 911 GT3 for inspiration - a car that has all the modern tech amenities and can still hold its own on track. Here's some things I learned along the way:

BBK - I got a Brembo GT for extremely cheap and love it. It's a great dual duty BBK. However, if I had not gotten the deal that I did, I would not have gone Brembo. In hindsight, I would have researched more on the price of consumables, especially rotors. Brembo discs are crazy expensive. If I were to do it again I would have gone AP by Essex.

Suspension - If your car spends more time on street than track, get Ohlins R/T. If it spends more time on track than street, get KW Clubsports. If it's going to be a true track car, welltl that's beyond my current experience.

If you're looking for a 'connection' with the car, I found the the below mods really helped me enjoy the car more.

1. Engine tune - Get a tune. You'll be surprised how much low end torque BMW left on the table with the S65.

2. Solid rear subframes bushes - There is literally no downside to this mod. Just go solid. Solid bushes really sharpen up the chassis and will make the car feel like it's one generation newer.

3. Front monoballs offer better sharper steering response and feel for a small (5% maybe?) penalty in harshness. The roads where I'm at are really bad and I find the monoballs ok. It's not as harsh as camber plates.

4. Powerflex purple diff bushings gave me much better connection and feedback from the rear axel. This resulted in more confidence while pushing the car and also helps prevent snapped diff bolts. Tradeoff is some diff whine at certain speeds. Some ppl tolerate this, some absolutely hate it.

5. Carbon plenum. More intake roar. What's not to like?

6. 3.45 final drive and OS Giken LSD - This is an expensive one and something you probably won't do until much later. The acceleration from the shorter FD is addictive and the additional grip from the OSG is something I appreciate every time I go to the track or the hills.

7. Others - The E9x family lacks a lot of the latest in car tech. This is easily remedied with an Android head unit from the likes of AVIN or any one of dozens of vendors on AliExpress. This co-exists with iDrive, integrates with the iDrive controller and steering wheel buttons, and basically puts an Android device in the car. You've not lived until you've had Waze/GMaps running on your iDrive screen, or watched YouTube/Netflix in a traffic jam.

Good luck with your build!
Appreciate 0