BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

10-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #45
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
You realize that the reason why there are no deals and long waits for the S5 is because Audi is making realative few of them and demand is very high. They don't need to do anyhting to sell the car.

As for the idea that a DB9 or Conti GT is a substitute for the RS5, you are out of your mind. You may be able to buy a DB9/GT out of the States for close to the same initial purchase price (though with the dollar at 1.2288 and a 6% import duty I don't think you can) but the running costs are astronomical. Call a Bentley or AM dealership and ask them about maintenance. You probably can't get an AMV8 out of the States for less than what the RS5 will go for.

Good luck in trying to service an imported Aston or Bentley at GTA in Toronto!An RS5 could be in my future plans as the Quattro & 7 speed DSG could be very good for year round useability for my wife to replace her E93.I will have a 4x4 P/U for winter use so AWD is not a large issue for myself as it is her.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #46
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Good luck in trying to service an imported Aston or Bentley at GTA in Toronto!An RS5 could be in my future plans as the Quattro & 7 speed DSG could be very good for year round useability for my wife to replace her E93.I will have a 4x4 P/U for winter use so AWD is not a large issue for myself as it is her.
I spoke with a guy in the know with all things VAG and their marketing plans are for no big changes in the North American markets, pretty much business as usual. So don't expect the RS5 to be competitive on price against the M3. Their interests lay else where, like China where they feel big gains are to be had and should prove more profitable than the US could ever be.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #47
Maddox003
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW/FR

Quote:
You realize that the reason why there are no deals and long waits for the S5 is because Audi is making realative few of them and demand is very high. They don't need to do anyhting to sell the car.

As for the idea that a DB9 or Conti GT is a substitute for the RS5, you are out of your mind. You may be able to buy a DB9/GT out of the States for close to the same initial purchase price (though with the dollar at 1.2288 and a 6% import duty I don't think you can) but the running costs are astronomical. Call a Bentley or AM dealership and ask them about maintenance. You probably can't get an AMV8 out of the States for less than what the RS5 will go for.

Audi can make as little S5's as they want and can boast on how high the demand for their cars is....but in the end, they didn't get my money....and I'm their targeted clientele. Some buyers may have the patience to wait 6-9 months for a car, but in an economic state this volatile, things can turn on a dime.

If the RS5 is listed at 100k+, I don't see why one wouldn't consider a used DB9/GT from the States....but then again, since I have dual residency in Canada and in the US, I don't concern myself with the 6% import duty. As for running costs, it's not like the maintenance for a RS5 is free either (last time I've checked, Audi no longer include their Audi Care in their lineup of cars). And I doubt many would use a DB9/GT as a daily beater anyway....that's what the M3 is for . Of course one has to be careful when purchasing anything used, but as long as the mileage is not astronomical and you do the proper background check on the car....

So yea, if you're gonna spend 100k+ on a car, why not spend a little bit more and go up a notch.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #48
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox003 View Post
Audi can make as little S5's as they want and can boast on how high the demand for their cars is....but in the end, they didn't get my money....and I'm their targeted clientele. Some buyers may have the patience to wait 6-9 months for a car, but in an economic state this volatile, things can turn on a dime.

If the RS5 is listed at 100k+, I don't see why one wouldn't consider a used DB9/GT from the States....but then again, since I have dual residency in Canada and in the US, I don't concern myself with the 6% import duty. As for running costs, it's not like the maintenance for a RS5 is free either (last time I've checked, Audi no longer include their Audi Care in their lineup of cars). And I doubt many would use a DB9/GT as a daily beater anyway....that's what the M3 is for . Of course one has to be careful when purchasing anything used, but as long as the mileage is not astronomical and you do the proper background check on the car....

So yea, if you're gonna spend 100k+ on a car, why not spend a little bit more and go up a notch.
A little bit more? Granted, I've only done a quick scan of ebay, but DB9s seem to have but it nows in around $150k. And if you want to register it in Canada you will have to pay duty, regardless of your citizenship. So tax in you are looking at a car that is 60% more expensive, not even including maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #49
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

everyone seems to be using those 5 star wheels, where eack spoke is split into 3...

none the less, that car looks badass.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #50
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I spoke with a guy in the know with all things VAG and their marketing plans are for no big changes in the North American markets, pretty much business as usual. So don't expect the RS5 to be competitive on price against the M3. Their interests lay else where, like China where they feel big gains are to be had and should prove more profitable than the US could ever be.
With the way the NA currency is going we are becoming much less important in the Global automotive market!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:27 PM   #51
Maddox003
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW/FR

Quote:
A little bit more? Granted, I've only done a quick scan of ebay, but DB9s seem to have but it nows in around $150k. And if you want to register it in Canada you will have to pay duty, regardless of your citizenship. So tax in you are looking at a car that is 60% more expensive, not even including maintenance.
I've seen a couple of DB9/GT going for under 90k (buy it now) on ebay, and a few more for under 100k. Granted, registering the car in Canada can be a hassle, but since it's a buyer's market at the moment, might as well take advantage of it.

Of course everything regarding the RS5 is but a speculation at the moment (production date, waiting period, price, specs/features....), so there's no point dwelling on something that have yet arrived. So we might as well enjoy the things that we do have....which is the M3
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #52
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
With the way the NA currency is going we are becoming much less important in the Global automotive market!
Ehhhh - that WAS the case 6 months ago. Now the global economy is in the shitter.

May 08 1:1.6 USD:Euro

Now 1:1.27 USD:Euro
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #53
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I see the prices have been announced for the TT-S coupe and roadster for the US market. I believe $45K and $47K which includes magnetic ride suspension and LED highlights.

It's a great wee car worth test driving before committing on anything else.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #54
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:

Actually there are slightly used V8 Aston for like 120k and import used for 99k so i would take that over an RS5 any given time. Beside Aston martin theres the M5, Carrera 4s,2s and even used turbo for tat kinda of money. It really doesn't make any shit sense to buy an RS5 up here in Canada. And if u think the deman is high I can tell u theres plenty of used RS4 and S5 on sale now and could hardly find a buyer. Audi is way over priced to be competative. On the other hand RS5 would be an awesome choice if it cost the same as an M3. On another note though theres is still the C63 Amg for only 70k
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #55
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I happen to read this on another forum. It was a link to the new S4 and the article was by fourtitude (http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_4431.shtml)

Here's the section of interest

Quote:
For that we posed the question to the Volkswagen Group’s executive director of engine and powertrain Wolfgang Hatz. As Hatz tells it, the switch was a difficult decision. When the S4 project began, his engineers initially began exploring a V6 application with turbochargers. During development though, one of his team suggested they consider a supercharger, so a second concept began development alongside.

Hatz explained that there are challenges in packaging turbocharger systems with Audi’s current crop of V-configuration engines. These engine packages are short, which invited placing the turbo atop the engine… but this raised fitment issues on the V6, particularly due to the tight constraints for which it was planned. Putting the turbos far away, like behind the engine, makes it harder to achieve ULEV2 emissions and also increases turbo lag.

With two concept engines developed, Hatz says the choice became clear. The German still believes turbos are the go-to tech for super high-performance like the RS 6, but thinks the supercharger setup is better applied to a 300-350 hp program like the S4, as the supercharger benefits from more compact packaging and more immediate torque delivery akin to a V8.
Does this mean that the RS4 will not use this engine but in a higher state of tune or does it mean they don't believe supercharging it the way to produce the hi-performance required for the RS models?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #56
ericlikescars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: murder.

I'm a BMW fanatic and always will be.
But that red Audi makes the M3 just look absolutely dull.

Man oh man, I'm gonna have to lock my checkbook in a safe when the RS5 comes out.
I couldn't imagine the look of that car with the right stance/wheel setup.
      11-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #57
jaay11
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Dinan 2

The A5 is hot but I'm not sure I'd pay $80K + for the RS5. It will sell though cuz they'll spread 5 cars out throughout one state and let us fight for them at crazy marked up prices. Of course by that time we'll be in a world depression.

Its a nice car but I suspect we'll only see a handful and you'll pay through your a$$ if you want it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #58
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

am I the only one that think the rs5 looks uglier than the s5? It looks like they tried too hard to make the s5 look more agressive and the failed. I would rather take an s5 over the rs5 if it looks like that and sorry, it doesn't look any more exciting than the m3.

I think maybe the rs5 will come with the v10 twin turbo like the rs6 and if that is the case, sorry, turbo will never sound as good as say an NA v8 or V10.

I agree with Jaiman, if the rs5 cost 100k, why not just buy a used 05/06 DB9 or a brand new m6? 500hp V10 that sound like a ferrari and 4 years free maintenance to play with? I personally think the m6 looks bad ass compare to other cars in it class.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #59
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
am I the only one that think the rs5 looks uglier than the s5? It looks like they tried too hard to make the s5 look more agressive and the failed. I would rather take an s5 over the rs5 if it looks like that and sorry, it doesn't look any more exciting than the m3.

I think maybe the rs5 will come with the v10 twin turbo like the rs6 and if that is the case, sorry, turbo will never sound as good as say an NA v8 or V10.

I agree with Jaiman, if the rs5 cost 100k, why not just buy a used 05/06 DB9 or a brand new m6? 500hp V10 that sound like a ferrari and 4 years free maintenance to play with? I personally think the m6 looks bad ass compare to other cars in it class.
I agree totally. All the RS cars are a bit over priced. And I'd probably go for the M6 too.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #60
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post

im gonna have to dissagree with you here, the RS5 looks alot more agressive... but i think your missing a big Audi theme which is very different from how BMW does things.

Audi's RS cars are basically the same apperance wise to the normal model, and even the normal models are made to glide under the radar. The designers of the M3 probaly spent months getting the lines on the hood right, the grill, the bumper, everything tuned and looking mean. Audi just doesnt care about appearances all that much... If you look at nearly any audi car, they dont jump out as being a "Woa!! that looks fast!" car.

They preffer to talk softly and carry a big stick.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #61
ericlikescars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: murder.

Just commented on how dull the M3 looked next to it.
Saw a black S5 in the mall parking lot today, and my thoughts were changed. The car is very big and just looks heavy, the lines look like Audi tried to be very aggressive and couldnt pull it off. But man, the inside, gives me a headache. My keyboard doesnt even have as many buttons.

M3, I'm sorry I ever talked down on you!
      05-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #62
naveenb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlikescars View Post
Just commented on how dull the M3 looked next to it.
Saw a black S5 in the mall parking lot today, and my thoughts were changed. The car is very big and just looks heavy, the lines look like Audi tried to be very aggressive and couldnt pull it off. But man, the inside, gives me a headache. My keyboard doesnt even have as many buttons.

M3, I'm sorry I ever talked down on you!
i had a chance to look at both the m3 and the s5 yesterday. if you compare looks, a black on black s5 is pure sex.

WANTED:
Audi S4<Audi S5<BMW M3 sedan<Audi RS5
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #63
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Audi almost always has a very difficult time NOT choosing a boring body style, with the exception of the R8 and I guess maybe the RS4.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #64
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i dont think the price will match the rs5 with the m3, at least in canada for sure.
m3 sedan starts at 69k, the old rs4 started in the low 90k region- yes it included more options, but thats a big price gap. i would only assume that the rs5 will break 100k canadian, i am quite sure actually.
a well equipped e92 m3 in canada really maxes out at 86k or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #65
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Turismo View Post
Look at the LEDs on the bumper!!! Now it all comes down to the price of this beautiful monster; if the price is close to the M3 then I might actually wait it out and get the RS5 instead of the M3, but if the price is a lot higher than the M3 then it is too much. What should I do? Get M3 or wait?

That's not the RS5 I've seen final pictures of. The red one below is however. The arches on the actual car are waaaay wider than that.

The one I saw was in dark grey and look great. Never really fancied a red car. Looks a bit too girly/non-serious for my liking. I also have no great love of the S5/A5 looks at all. In the right colour it's not bad but more like a slightly melted A4 than a new car. I much prefer the agressive look of the M3 coupe. The RS5 definitely looks like it will be more agressive but I'll wait to see it in the flesh.

My prediction is at least $15k more than the M3 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #66
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I see the prices have been announced for the TT-S coupe and roadster for the US market. I believe $45K and $47K which includes magnetic ride suspension and LED highlights.

It's a great wee car worth test driving before committing on anything else.
but paint it yellow and red, stick the spare on the trunk and there you got it. Noddy's coupe.
Appreciate 0