BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #45
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Indeed, a "remove weight" option would be great and those montrously heavy seats should be first on the list.
In any case, adding an electric motor to move the seats forward to let in rear seat passengers in the coupe?..what was wrong with the manual system in the E46 M3?
Actually it is irritating for me to wait 10 seconds for the seat to move forward each time a person needs to get in at the back, plus another 10 for the seat to return to its original position... Also, the fact that my ass has to be moved by some electric motor each time the seat needs to be adjusted (which again takes its time) is something I consider unecessary luxury, plus it adds more weight. Same goes for the mirrors - I couldn't care less.

If a sports car such as the M3 needs electric seats for whatever reasons let them be there but then what's wrong with delete options? Why not let people deside for themselves whether they value more the added luxury or the weight saving.

Personally I would gladly knock the electric seats off instantly and without second thought if there was such a delete option...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #46
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Technic, if you don't mind can you either explain the above comments in as much detail as one would care to know () or point me to a resource that could do so? I am very curious about this, and I'll bet others reading are as well.
+1. I'm willing to play.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #47
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Got a response from ESS. "Those functions are not done thru the cars DME."
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #48
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Technic, if you don't mind can you either explain the above comments in as much detail as one would care to know () or point me to a resource that could do so? I am very curious about this, and I'll bet others reading are as well.
Looks like we will need access to this. http://www.autologic.us/bmw.html and a iDrive car to start. It's a like puzzle now that must be solved.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #49
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Well, the MDM is another option (code 2MD) in the ordering list of a vehicle so it is a matter of adding that option code into the particular Vehicle Order.

This is no joke.
Thanks Technic. Just out of curiousity, where does this "Vehicle Order" term come from? I mean, as it applies to a car's equipment level.

My thoughts on this is that while it is "just software" a practical solution would involve a piggyback module of some kind. Like the 335i mods, or like the smarttop I have installed that lets me close the roof by holding the fob button for a couple seoncds and then walk away while it closes with no further intervention from me (among other cool things).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #50
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Got a response from ESS. "Those functions are not done thru the cars DME."
Makes sense since DSC is "bigger" than just the engine - it includes brakes and other subsystems as wll. But it must be controlled by some computer module somewhere. Although it is certainly conceivable that the software to achieve the individual DSC functions is spread throughout the car. I.e. if the code that runs for "MDM" is not there in every car (read: our non-MDrive cars), regardless of equipment level from factory, then actually getting it in there might be beyond practicality.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #51
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Thanks Technic. Just out of curiousity, where does this "Vehicle Order" term come from? I mean, as it applies to a car's equipment level.

My thoughts on this is that while it is "just software" a practical solution would involve a piggyback module of some kind. Like the 335i mods, or like the smarttop I have installed that lets me close the roof by holding the fob button for a couple seoncds and then walk away while it closes with no further intervention from me (among other cool things).
The Vehicle Order is something that came about with the new generation of BMW and their MOST network. It is file with a list of modules/options installed in your car that it is referenced by the BMW system when your car is read. Software updates are mapped by that list, so when the BMW computer reads the car it can determine what to update -or not- depending on what the VO is listing.

There are some successful VO changes documented in this forum, especially the one for the old iDrive retrofit into a non-iDrive 3 Series. In this particular case, Navigation, Logic7 and Voice Activation were enabled just by changing the VO to include those codes. The iDrive computer then set itself to output digital audio signals (from analog) and to turn on the Voice Activation.

However, because even with proper VOs sometimes updating modules cause them to crap the dealer most of the time do not want to mess around too much with coding unless is it absolutely necessary. Thus, the probability of VO changes done at the dealer is extemely minimal although with the right dealer it can be done (that iDrive retrofit VO change was done at a dealer).

Again, all this is based on the premise that MDM is somehow dormant somewhere in the coding of the car and that a change of VO could "free it up".
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #52
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Makes sense since DSC is "bigger" than just the engine - it includes brakes and other subsystems as wll. But it must be controlled by some computer module somewhere. Although it is certainly conceivable that the software to achieve the individual DSC functions is spread throughout the car. I.e. if the code that runs for "MDM" is not there in every car (read: our non-MDrive cars), regardless of equipment level from factory, then actually getting it in there might be beyond practicality.
The DSC module is item #1 (no distinction between MDM or not):

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #53
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The DSC module is item #1 (no distinction between MDM or not):

Interesting.

I wonder if the DSC module (probably designed by Bosch or such) actually has all 3 modes built-in (ON, OFF and MDM) and that it's just a matter of turning the right switch on

BTW, I am loving this thread!

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #54
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all your help Technic. I think the first step is to find out whether the necessary software is in the car already. I wonder how one would determine that?

Edit: I just saw your post with the diagram. Thanks for digging that up. So, like Frenchboy said - I wonder if it could be as simple as feeding that 'black box' the right inputs to throw it into an MDM routine. If that were the case then that would mean we (or someone) could design a small module with a circuit that fed the proper inputs when you push a button.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #55
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Thanks for all your help Technic. I think the first step is to find out whether the necessary software is in the car already. I wonder how one would determine that?

Edit: I just saw your post with the diagram. Thanks for digging that up. So, like Frenchboy said - I wonder if it could be as simple as feeding that 'black box' the right inputs to throw it into an MDM routine. If that were the case then that would mean we (or someone) could design a small module with a circuit that fed the proper inputs when you push a button.
Hi, I have a BT Scan Tool (enthusiast not pro version). According to their info page Stability Control (among other things) is supported in terms of commands (but not actual values or activations) for our model vehicle. I'll see what I can "see" with the tool this weekend--perhaps the command list will tell us something (and help answer the software question that way).

I'm hoping that since we have "DSC on" and "DSC off" (which sound like "commands" and not activations--since DSC is "activated" if we can use it) that a third option/command is possible. (Our holy grail of a three position toggle....)

This may net us nothing, but it's worth taking a look.

I'm sorry I can't check this sooner but I have Linux as my only OS on my laptop (got sick of Windows). I'll have to partition and load up Windows to run the scan. Windows is a pain to partition and load and it takes a long time on my old laptop to configure to run a scan.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #56
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree. I just wish there response was a bit more in depth.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #57
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Interesting.

I wonder if the DSC module (probably designed by Bosch or such) actually has all 3 modes built-in (ON, OFF and MDM) and that it's just a matter of turning the right switch on

BTW, I am loving this thread!
I believe that to be the case. If we can get access to the dataports on an iDrive DSC control unit car and see the signal output when switching modes, that gives us an opportunity create a third party trigger. Assuming all that the DSC control units and mode is there for us to play.

My guess is that everything is there and we just need an accessible control unit. From a manufacturing perspective, this make sense. Using the same part makes manufacturing simpler and less costly for BMW. A good case for this is people being able to enable the 'up-sell' features by updating there VO.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #58
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

+1. I think this is the case.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #59
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Hi, I have a BT Scan Tool (enthusiast not pro version). According to their info page Stability Control (among other things) is supported in terms of commands (but not actual values or activations) for our model vehicle. I'll see what I can "see" with the tool this weekend--perhaps the command list will tell us something (and help answer the software question that way).

I'm hoping that since we have "DSC on" and "DSC off" (which sound like "commands" and not activations--since DSC is "activated" if we can use it) that a third option/command is possible. (Our holy grail of a three position toggle....)

This may net us nothing, but it's worth taking a look.

I'm sorry I can't check this sooner but I have Linux as my only OS on my laptop (got sick of Windows). I'll have to partition and load up Windows to run the scan. Windows is a pain to partition and load and it takes a long time on my old laptop to configure to run a scan.
This would be great! I love this community.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #60
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Lots of info in this thread. I hope some of it can be put to good use and get us MDM without iDrive. I have my fingers crossed
      09-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #61
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Hi, I have a BT Scan Tool (enthusiast not pro version).

I'll see what I can "see" with the tool this weekend--perhaps the command list will tell us something (and help answer the software question that way).
That's great Finnegan - thanks in advance for digging into this. Let us know what you are able to find.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #62
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's great Finnegan - thanks in advance for digging into this. Let us know what you are able to find.

Sure! Glad to be of help. It will be interesting in terms of what we'll see. I'll screen print and post what I find.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #63
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Any updates Finn?
      09-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #64
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Sorry this took so long guys, it was a busy weekend! But it's done. Here's the report.

I think what we're looking for is an activation not a command. Commands reset or calibrate; activations toggle existing functions. My initial understanding of the difference between command/activation was inaccurate. So, now that is cleared up let's move on to what we were looking for.

Unfortunately I was not able to find any activations around DSC (even to toggle it to simply on/off as we can from the DSC switch) in the Stability Control Module or in any other module. (I went through every module on the list and checked--nothing there yet around DSC on, off, sport.)

This isn't necessarily the last word as it may simply be that the tool can't see it yet and that functionality isn't built out. BT is continually adding to functionality and the ability to read/see modules and adding to the command/activation list.

I'm encouraged as I was able to find some fairly extensive activations for a whole lot of things. E.g. turn on/off right/left headlight, open/close this window and that window, etc. (That was found in the "Footwell Module" module list of activations). The number of activations in various modules is rather extensive....but missing the one I was looking for.

I will send an email to BT and see what I can find out about activations under Stability Control or other modules that will toggle "DSC" or related functions. More to come (hopefully).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #65
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Any updates Finn?
Yep! I was proofreading and updating as you were posting this!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #66
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Thank you for posting your results Finnegan. Much appreciated. It is too bad you didn't hit pay-dirt, but as you said, this is by no means the final word yet.

One thing that immediately comes to mind would be - what is the DCT dash switch wired to from the factory? It must be "activate"-ing something somewhere, right?
Appreciate 0