BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Gintani Distributor in Australia

Hi everyone. After thinking about this for a while and a whole lot of testing I've taken out sponsorship and I’m very pleased to say that I have the Australian Distributorship for Gintani products from California USA. In addition I also am working closely with Mike Weber (Prestige and Performance) in Brisbane for installs of exhaust systems and Superchargers. Modification plates and modification certification will be done on the installation of Superchargers to ensure you car’s Supercharger is street legal.

I currently have 2 x stage 2 superchargers on order and expect delivery and installation around the end of January. There has been a lot of testing and a long wait for the new Gintani Supercharger manifold which looks fantastic along with the carbon fibre cover.

There has never been a more suitable time to fit a supercharger to your M3, regulations regarding modifications have changed and become national and there is a grace period to install under the old system for the next few months. All vehicles fitted with the Gintani Supercharger will be certified and issued with a modification place as part of the install.

For us it is exciting news that Alex, the CEO of Gintani will be coming to Australia to do a training course with Mike and supervise the install of the Superchargers here in Brisbane. Although Mike is very experienced in this area there is nothing like working with the designer of a product to get that install perfect. A two way learning curve as it also indicates to him any issues with fitment to right hand drive vehicles.

Alex will also be doing tunes while he is here, including DCT tunes.

After now having had 4 major brands of exhaust systems on my M3 I found the Gintani Quad Resonated X-pipe with the valved sport rear section to have the best sound and significant performance gains. This system really is the best of both worlds as it is quiet and droneless on the highway and when you want it to be, and nice and loud with the valves open under acceleration.

Although I have lots of videos and sound clips, nothing compares to hearing the car live.

An exhaust system is a big investment and I’m happy for anyone who wants to hear this system live to come for a run in my M3. I’m confident you will not hear a better sound if you like the traditional muscle car V8 sound.

I’m not in this for the money, it’s a love of the product and the service I’ve experienced myself. All prices will be the same as the USA price, no padding at all. The only additional costs are freight and GST which are calculated at the entry to Port in Australia. There is no import tax on Gintani as it is wholly made in USA at the Gintani shop in California
Feel free to call me (0434 555 660) or visit my Facebook page if there is any information you would like. I will never knock other products; Gintani is an alternative to any of the best other products made

Below is a preview of the new supercharger manifold, it is currently unpainted but is now available in black or any custom colour

Attached Images

Last edited by DaveDee; 01-06-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Congrats on sponsorship Dave!! I can personally vouch for him as a stand-up guy. Spending hours on the phone to me even before I wanted a Gintani!! (When Dave was simply expressing his opinions based on what he owned).

PS My Gintani Sport sounds unreal!
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Congrats on sponsorship Dave!! I can personally vouch for him as a stand-up guy. Spending hours on the phone to me even before I wanted a Gintani!! (When Dave was simply expressing his opinions based on what he owned).

PS My Gintani Sport sounds unreal!
Thanks for the kind words. It's great when you can get it right first time around and its great to know your liking it!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Good stuff!!

Does Gintani also offer engine tunes and what does the DCT tune do Dave?

I have a SBM engine tune and it made a pronounced difference, especially in lower RPM's which normally feel flat.

Good to see some QLD support for M3's. Would recommend locals jump on the opportunity of Alex' being in town! If only he could bring his s/c M5 out too!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post

Good stuff!!

Does Gintani also offer engine tunes and what does the DCT tune do Dave?

I have a SBM engine tune and it made a pronounced difference, especially in lower RPM's which normally feel flat.

Good to see some QLD support for M3's. Would recommend locals jump on the opportunity of Alex' being in town! If only he could bring his s/c M5 out too!!
Yes, tunes are something that will be available in a week or two. At the moment they are being done in house at Gintani but now a USB>OBD cable is being released to allow anything from a CEL removal on install of a full exhaust system, full ECU tunes, DCT tunes and supercharger engine remapping and back to stock at any time. The cable is licensed to the cars' VIN and allows owners to tune or modify at will. The DCT tune improves performance in the 4th and 5th power band and makes gearshift much snappier as well as some RPM changes for launch control keeping in mind the changes in performance when a Supercharger is fitted.
The cable will fit a laptop PC running Windows XP or higher to allow owners to make changes at will or have multiple revisions of a tune.

Alex does amazing work and anyone wanting a tune on virtually any vehicle can book on advance. During this period tunes will be done at a special price.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Freddo
Freddo
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 M3

Hi Dave

I have followed your posts (Luv your car) as I am a new M3 owner and just getting a handle on all that goes on with modifications. I do like the sound (over Youtube clips) of your Gintani exhaust. Great news about your Aust Distribution and setting up fitting in Brisbane. I want to listen to a few in the flesh so hope to get out to QLD Raceway when track days are on and hear what exhausts guys are running on their M3's.

Cheers
Freddo
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
Hi Dave

I have followed your posts (Luv your car) as I am a new M3 owner and just getting a handle on all that goes on with modifications. I do like the sound (over Youtube clips) of your Gintani exhaust. Great news about your Aust Distribution and setting up fitting in Brisbane. I want to listen to a few in the flesh so hope to get out to QLD Raceway when track days are on and hear what exhausts guys are running on their M3's.

Cheers
Freddo
Thanks Freddo and welcome to owning the most exciting car, the longer you have it the more you like it. It is hard to pick an exhaust sound from a video clip and even harder to get an accurate recording. Coming along to track day is a great way to check out a few options, you hear them at the loudest. In the meantime I can put you in touch with some friends who have different systems (the major ones) on their car and if you are down on the Goldie you are always welcome to come for a run in mine.
There are so many factors that have to be taken into account when choosing an exhaust system, what it sounds like from the outside is very important but one of the biggest issues is what they sound like inside the car and how you can live with them or love them on a daily basis taking into account sound quality and drone.
Look forward to hearing more about your M3 and hopefully seeing you next track day
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Freddo
Freddo
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 M3

Hey Dav

Thanks, I might just take you up on the offer as I do get down the Gold Coast for work & the beach. My M3 is Alpine white manual, I just ordered black front grill and bonnet vents from a website in the US, Tuner Motorsport as heaps cheaper than here in OZ, (test as first time buying parts on the net from overseas). Next on my list is a carbon spoiler again so much cheaper off this site than BMW Aust. Any sites you would recommend?
I liked what you did with the BBS black wheels to make them look same as BMW Matt Black M Y-spoke wheels. They are on my list as well!

Cheers
Freddo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
Hey Dav

Thanks, I might just take you up on the offer as I do get down the Gold Coast for work & the beach. My M3 is Alpine white manual, I just ordered black front grill and bonnet vents from a website in the US, Tuner Motorsport as heaps cheaper than here in OZ, (test as first time buying parts on the net from overseas). Next on my list is a carbon spoiler again so much cheaper off this site than BMW Aust. Any sites you would recommend?
I liked what you did with the BBS black wheels to make them look same as BMW Matt Black M Y-spoke wheels. They are on my list as well!

Cheers
Freddo
Hi Freddo

Keep in mind most Australian vendors have to pay freight, import duty,GST and have stocking costs. Freight from USA to Australia is a killer, for example freight only (from USA) on an exhaust system can be $700.00 as a single shipment.

Warranty is another thing to remember. Not so long ago I bought a part that didn't fit properly (from USA) and although the vendor was happy to refund, freight to and from was more than half the price of the goods.

I can get carbon for you, it's a Gintani line and on my website but with carbon there are so many variations it depends on the style you like.

If you are buying big ticket items like exhaust systems, superchargers and performance parts it's best to stick the the brands that have been around for a while and are popular and will resell well. It's also important to have the support of a local supplier and there are some great suppliers in Australia, for example Southern BM in Victoria who stocks and supports major brands.

Mostly parts should come from Germany or USA. Keep in mind German parts attract export duty from Germany and import duty here, parts made in USA do not attract any duty as they will likely qualify under the US/Aus free trade agreement.

As suppliers too we should have a good relationship with other suppliers who we should look at as alternative choice rather than competition, in the end the M3 community is the winner if we have good local supporting vendors. There are always those who will price gouge but you can always cross check on line.

So if you can support a local supplier even if you have to pay a bit more it's better for everyone in the long run. You have a quality car and you don't want to be compromising on the parts you fit.

Hope this is some value to you
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Dave

Good luck with your new venture. Hope it is very successful and buyers warm up to the product.
      01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Dave

Good luck with your new venture. Hope it is very successful and buyers warm up to the product.
Thanks AussieM3. I'm really confident the product will match any expectations and will stand up to any of the alternatives. Gintani has been around in USA for a while now and are very popular there. I've been to the shop in California and spent some time with the guys there. It would be hard to meet a bunch of people who are so passionate about performance and tuning and have good family values.
Also got to check out Paul Walker's (Fast and Furious) M3 being rebuilt in the shop. What an awesome car!
I have the full exhaust system on my car and can't wait to drive it every day.
SuperCharger is going on in a few weeks so that will be well posted and the car will be available for anyone interested to go for a run.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #12
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M AW (F10 520D MSport - gone)

DaveDee, congratulations on the distribution!

I completely agree with your earlier post about bringing variety and choice to our local enthusiasts (incl M3 owners ). Being a small market in a land far, far away...many companies haven't bothered supporting us for years.

That is exactly why I started TuringMS and distribution of Euro brands.

All the best mate!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sverma_turingMS View Post
DaveDee, congratulations on the distribution!

I completely agree with your earlier post about bringing variety and choice to our local enthusiasts (incl M3 owners ). Being a small market in a land far, far away...many companies haven't bothered supporting us for years.

That is exactly why I started TuringMS and distribution of Euro brands.

All the best mate!
Thanks for that, checked out your website and I see you handle quite a few products for different models. Good to know. I'm keeping this small and only doing the Gintani line of products but there is a big market for other essentials like that magnificent Brembo kit :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Hats off to Dave @ Gintani Australia.

Even though my client did not end up going through with the purchase, Dave was more than helpful in providing useful information and honest recommendations on suitable products.

It helps when he has tried and tested the typical range of M3 exhausts and hence can safely compare the Gintani against Eisenmann, Remus, Akrapovic, etc.
Also very assuring considering how particular Dave is with his own car, so you can trust his judgement. He doesn't have the "sales pitch" tone and is very easy to deal with.

I would highly recommended Dave to anyone looking at E92 M3 upgrades
Appreciate 0