BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #23
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

bumping this thread to see if anyone has DOCUMENTED proof of what carbon leather trim is made of.i read it, along with this one-

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622444

and some others.i just got some,and it's beautiful stuff.you know how you read some threads,and at the end you're not sure of the answer.well,according to these and others i read,carbon leather is definitely:

-leather,woven to look like cf
-uncoated (no resin clear coat) cf with a leather strip,or
-not leather,not cf,but cf look vinyl with a leather strip
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
bumping this thread to see if anyone has DOCUMENTED proof of what carbon leather trim is made of.i read it, along with this one-

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622444
Thanks for resurecting my old thread, LOL. Just like the OP I was nervous to sound stupid, but I still don't KNOW the answer, although I think it's likely paterned vinyl stitched to leather. I use high end leather products to keep it clean/protected. Havn't had any issues, but I'm still pretty low mileage.
      09-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #25
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Carbon Leather

Quote:
carbon leather is definitely:

-leather,woven to look like cf
-uncoated (no resin clear coat) cf with a leather strip,or
-not leather,not cf,but cf look vinyl with a leather strip
It is not woven (too flat), but rather looks to be leather that is impressed (embossed, stamped) with the pattern.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #26
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
not a dumb question, I couldn't figure it out myself either as it didn't make sense the way it's stated. So I went to a dealership, I found a M3 with the trim, touched it, and it was leather as everyone said. Interesting CF weave pattern on it.

It's by far the best trim for the M3, with the aluminum trim coming in a close 2nd. It beats the cheap plastic CF trim found in cheaper models, and looks cooler than real CF.
I personally think different trims look better with different interiors. I have Black extended leather and went with aluminum for the contrast as well as the fact that other trim bits in the car are silver/aluminum in color. I think the combination of Silver leather, and Carbon leather trim or real CF trim looks spectacular also. I don't think black interior with carbon leather trim looks very good. Not bad, but one can do better.
      09-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
Thanks for resurecting my old thread, LOL. Just like the OP I was nervous to sound stupid, but I still don't KNOW the answer, although I think it's likely paterned vinyl stitched to leather. I use high end leather products to keep it clean/protected. Havn't had any issues, but I'm still pretty low mileage.
thank you.this answers my other question,how to care for it.most people seem to use leather products.a few use protectants like 303.i'll probably use my leatherique.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #28
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I personally think different trims look better with different interiors. I have Black extended leather and went with aluminum for the contrast as well as the fact that other trim bits in the car are silver/aluminum in color. I think the combination of Silver leather, and Carbon leather trim or real CF trim looks spectacular also. I don't think black interior with carbon leather trim looks very good. Not bad, but one can do better.
agreed, though I think CF trim matches all leather options. But I also have aluminum, and i think the contrast looks great with my black leather. It also matches the SSII colored car too.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #29
grendelrt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

So how many of you guys put any leather product on their carbon leather trim when they do the other leather in the car?
Past: 2008 EVO X, 2003 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Its leather thats been worked to resemble a CF finish. I clean/condition it just like the seats
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #31
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bumping this again bc i ran across this in the bmw press release introducing the m3.as many have said,it's leather. this answers it definitively for me:

Four exclusive trim strips extending throughout the entire width of the dashboard beneath the Control Display and instrument cluster, provide further options in customising the new BMW M3. The “basic” trim comes in Titanium Shadow, with Aluminium Shadow and special leather tanned in carbon design as well as high-class wood in fine-grain surface design and platane wood in Anthracite all being available as an option. In each case, the trim strip gives the interior of the new BMW M3 its own very special touch ranging from cool
high-tech to sporting elegance.

here's the link to the whole press release-
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55136
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #32
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
bumping this again bc i ran across this in the bmw press release introducing the m3.as many have said,it's leather. this answers it definitively for me:
Thanks, but it was already definitive. Manufacturers are careful about misrepresentation. No way they would use the term "leather" if it was not.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
AFAIK, yes, it is real embossed leather. You are right that they would not get away with calling it leather if it weren't.
Besides, isn't leather made of carbon?

Yes, it should be texturized leather made to look like carbon fiber.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #34
SSpec9
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Le Mans Blue M3 ZCP

It looks great. Can it be a DIY job or would it need to be done at a dealer/shop in order to swap the aluminum for the carbon fiber leather trim?
Appreciate 0