BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

Tire repair kit recommendations?

I have a 2021 X3M on order with the Mobility Kit option (i.e., no spare tire). While the kit seems to include a compressor and tire sealant, I'd like the option to plug a flat tire instead of using the sealant.

I'm presently considering the Nealey Tire Repair Kit and the Dynaplug Pro Xtreme. I'd add a multitool or at least a pair of pliers to either one as an enhancement, and would be interested in recommendations/experiences people have had with these or other alternatives to address a flat tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Damn that Dynaplug Pro looks pretty cool. The Nealey doesn't look anything special. To tell you the truth, I've just used the slime kits from the local auto parts store for years.. I have probably had to plug a tire for myself or someone I know once a year and have never had any issues with it. I think the biggest problem is not knowing if my tube of rubber cement was dry or not. The plugs themselves never seem to go bad. I'm curious how the dynaplug stays/glues if it's literally just the thread inside a tube. Plus I understand the point is going to stick inside and hopefully not throw off the balance (especially if you have to plug it more than once). I've only had to use the slime kit once in the last 20 years and it seemed to work okay. On most flats once I see a nail in it, I just use my compressor, put as much air in it, and I've been lucky enough that it is a slow enough leak I can be on my way back home and patch/plug it then.. (Or once just drive it to an autoparts store).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

Neither the Dynaplug nor the Nealey use glue, which is an attractive feature since that's one less potential point of failure if the glue dries out before you need the kit.

As I understand it, Dynaplugs physically block air from escaping just through a friction fit, and then bond to the surrounding tire material as the tire heats up.

The Nealey kit seems almost primitive, but has good reviews. They mostly aim for the agricultural/farm equipment and commercial truck markets, but their product works on car tires too. Their value proposition, beside being simple and inexpensive, is that their plug also forms a sort of patch on the inside of the tire. Two strands of plug are inserted into the hole, and when the tool is withdrawn, another two strands are added, resulting in a very tight friction fit which seals the puncture through pressure against the hole and the creation of a knot of plug material on the inside of the tire at the puncture. Nealey also says that heat from tire operation contributes to the creation of a chemical bond between the plug and tire, and they say their repair is permanent.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Griot's kit is recommended by tire rack but it uses sealant. You can get any cheap plug kit if that's your goal they are very simple but you'll still need a compressor and finding a leak is not always possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
Kitzhabersucks
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi 2017 X3 35i

Do yourself a favor and purchase an additional aftermarket 12v scissor jack.
Makes jacking up your car or SAV fun, believe it or not.
I have one for both the X3 and our 335xi.
Appreciate 0