BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

02-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #67
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Maybe I am getting old but back in my days you graduate from college, you save for a few years to pay off your for loans (if any) and then find your own place and move out. Getting a fancy car was not even in my mind (new our used).

Nowadays, I see late 28 year old's still living with their parents yet drive nice cars that are leased Its instant gratifications for the younger generation I guess. That's why household debt is climbing year after year. I know a divorced woman that is still supporting her 32 year old son! He doesn't pay for rent or food.

I would definately save and get a property first. Especially with the current real estate market in the States right now being so affordable. This won't last forever.

BTW, we have been getting an awful lot of 20 year old's living with their parents lately asking if its ok to get an M3.
Looks like my prior comment was deleted so I'll clean it up. It's like breast feeding a five year old. It's just not right and creates a pile of babies that never really mature. And yeah it's strange how many of these threads we see.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #68
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am a believer in delayed gratification. It usually gets you farther ahead in life .
So true ^^^ this is ... when I was a young fellow I set a goal and it was to drive a new German car by age 50. I was happy when I did exactly that, my daughter still drives drives our first Bimmer. She will never ever sell it since it holds so many pleasant memories.

It felt real great to have accomplished that goal at the time.

Sure I dreamt when I was younger, I remember test driving a new Mercedes SL in 1971 did I get it No Way it was around $9,000- then. No it did help support my dreams

I am a strong believer in ...

"Accept the Challenges so that one day one can feel the exhilaration of Victory"

It felt great getting that first Bimmer and writing out the cheque for the full sales price then taking the family all the way to California from Western Canada and back again.

Now in my forth M3 I often think back ... memories are made of this

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #69
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, X5

"Nowadays," Jiro says on camera with a slight smile, "parents tell their children, 'You can return if it doesn't work out.' When parents say stupid things like that, the kids turn out to be failures."
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #70
glockperfect
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo
"Nowadays," Jiro says on camera with a slight smile, "parents tell their children, 'You can return if it doesn't work out.' When parents say stupid things like that, the kids turn out to be failures."
Haha!! Jiro kicks ass.
      02-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #71
Gil@McKennaPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO M sport 2 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrackerXL View Post
I did it when I was making 60k. I leased mine at first as I didnt drive much and the 840 payment wasnt a big deal with 5k coming in.

Now I make way more and bought one so your call essentially.

Oh im almost 23.
Kracker... you're just all over the place aren't you? lol
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #72
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream3rr View Post
Makes sense. I ask because I figure this forum is full of pretty smart folks who have a ton of knowledge about the car, its costs, and have wisdom beyond my years to be able to give me a pretty good idea of what they'd do.

Thanks everyone for your input! Clearly it's best to wait it out, but if I can find a good deal on an E9x I will go for it, with extended warranty for peace of mind. I would love to have owned one when they were still "new".
Are you really taking these "life" advises from the M3 owners?
Half of these people doesn't even know what they are talking about..
OP, no one here knows about your true financial situation.
In the end, you make your own decision, learn from mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #73
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I'm 22 and I'm currently employed making $60k/yr. I have no debt.

I have no desire to move out yet, so I've got the next 3 or so years to get the ball rolling on my own place.

The M3 is a splurge I may not deserve at this point, but given my particular situation, is it doable? I have a deep love for cars and I feel like owning an M3, especially this particular generation, would be something I would look back on in a few decades with a huge smile.

What do you think?
Your only in your early twenties, some people in their 30's and 40's can't even afford an M3. Invest your money in like real estate or something and in a couple years you'll be able to afford one without even thinking about it. You don't have to pay rent or any bills. So invest your money.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #74
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep
Drives: RedcarWhitetruck

You could die tomorrow,do whatever you want. Theres no 'one' magical proper way to live financially. With that said, be logical
2006 Porsche Carrera 4s-forgestar/eissemann/Ceramic brakes/Techart
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #75
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

I don't think the m3 is for a 22 year old period and not for financial reasons either. Its too much of a machine for that age, its a disaster waiting to happen. At 22 you barely know what a car is.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #76
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep
Drives: RedcarWhitetruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
I don't think the m3 is for a 22 year old period and not for financial reasons either. Its too much of a machine for that age, its a disaster waiting to happen. At 22 you barely know what a car is.
Could not agree any less with this. Age doesnt 100% dictate driving skill, its completely nonsense to say that. I had a 500whp Viper when I was 22, a 22 year old isnt a 16 year old showing off to his highschool friends. Someone who is 45 could easily rack up an m3 as a 22yrold could. And besides, a stock m3 isnt a violent raw car. Ive got friends with Civics who have lost control of those more often then friends with s5's, camaros, etc
2006 Porsche Carrera 4s-forgestar/eissemann/Ceramic brakes/Techart
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #77
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Makes sense. I ask because I figure this forum is full of pretty smart folks who have a ton of knowledge about the car, its costs, and have wisdom beyond my years to be able to give me a pretty good idea of what they'd do.

Thanks everyone for your input! Clearly it's best to wait it out, but if I can find a good deal on an E9x I will go for it, with extended warranty for peace of mind. I would love to have owned one when they were still "new".
threadshouldhaveendedhere
      02-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #78
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
I'm 22 and I'm currently employed making $60k/yr. I have no debt.

I have no desire to move out yet, so I've got the next 3 or so years to get the ball rolling on my own place.

The M3 is a splurge I may not deserve at this point, but given my particular situation, is it doable? I have a deep love for cars and I feel like owning an M3, especially this particular generation, would be something I would look back on in a few decades with a huge smile.

What do you think?
I would go with an E46 M3 or E86 M in your situation. Done and done. Living at home, I would honestly buy a house and enjoy all the fun and craziness that comes with that before I would spend money on a nice car living with parents.

Just me.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #79
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
not another one of these threads...
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #80
Uiop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heps
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
Could not agree any less with this. Age doesnt 100% dictate driving skill, its completely nonsense to say that. I had a 500whp Viper when I was 22, a 22 year old isnt a 16 year old showing off to his highschool friends. Someone who is 45 could easily rack up an m3 as a 22yrold could. And besides, a stock m3 isnt a violent raw car. Ive got friends with Civics who have lost control of those more often then friends with s5's, camaros, etc
The whole show off factor of a high schooler with an M3 would be huge.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #81
talontid
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

do it; life's short
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #82
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Agreed! And mine was removed also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Looks like my prior comment was deleted so I'll clean it up. It's like breast feeding a five year old. It's just not right and creates a pile of babies that never really mature. And yeah it's strange how many of these threads we see.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #83
talontid
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

this whole forum has become a wreck. Shit, I have been warned/infracted upon and banned for what seems like me posting obvious slapstick comedy back to stupid posts such as this.

I am on many forums and am amzed that on an M car forum, where these cars are 75k!!, people post almost daily about how to buy insurance; how much is insurance, and the best, Can I afford this car?

How do people make it through life making their own decisions? And how on earth can they afford an M3 if the questions they ask here are any inidcator of who they are in real life. Amazing I tell ya..

Yet, me, gets reprimanded. People make stupid posts/jokes all day on this forum and nothing happens. If you're a vendor, oh jeez forget about it!! Rules go out the window.

this forum is failing tremendously. I wish M3fourm was more popular for e9x chassis as it really is a good tech forum and not at all like m3post. Mods are gonna let a good forum go bad real quick
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #84
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
^^^ Yes this appears to be the "money" board, with trust fund kids aplenty ... not like the '.net' forum. There is some good information here though, especially the DIY section.
      02-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #85
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
this whole forum has become a wreck. Shit, I have been warned/infracted upon and banned for what seems like me posting obvious slapstick comedy back to stupid posts such as this.

I am on many forums and am amzed that on an M car forum, where these cars are 75k!!, people post almost daily about how to buy insurance; how much is insurance, and the best, Can I afford this car?

How do people make it through life making their own decisions? And how on earth can they afford an M3 if the questions they ask here are any inidcator of who they are in real life. Amazing I tell ya..

Yet, me, gets reprimanded. People make stupid posts/jokes all day on this forum and nothing happens. If you're a vendor, oh jeez forget about it!! Rules go out the window.

this forum is failing tremendously. I wish M3fourm was more popular for e9x chassis as it really is a good tech forum and not at all like m3post. Mods are gonna let a good forum go bad real quick
You mentioned the M3Post site!

The activity over there does not seam to be any different when it comes to questions like in this thread or does it?

From what I see there (see attachment below)

... What is so wrong for a younger fellow to ask a question? You been young once right! Bet you asked a lot of stupid questions when you were young once, like we all did at one time or another.

Besides this here M3Post Forum is the best M3 forum on the net ... take my word for it.

You have no clue what good a job the Moderators here do, how dare you criticize them!
Attached Images

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 02-15-2013 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #86
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post

because: internet
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #87
baba louey
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

I am a new M3 (July 2012) owner and so far I've observed that when push comes to shove, this forum delivers with good technical comments. I will continue to view.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #88
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I'm almost 19 and make $500k+ because I work hard and bought my M3 with cash. But I'm vey mature. Sucks that some people can't afford an M3.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread