BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5

E9x M3 vs F10 550i

I wanted a M3 for many years and is finally able to get one soon, but the fact that it is about to be outdated with the new 3 series coming out got me thinking. The new 550i is also very good looking and will not be outed for about 7 years. Even though I don't like big cars, but the new 5 looks smaller than it actually is. I actually thought it was an E90 a couple times when I saw it on the road. It has a 4.4L V8, and is capable of doing 495hp and 573 lb-ft torque. I may be wrong, but the car tuned may be able to beat the M3 in everyday driving. Anyone know the straight line performance of the tuned 550i compared to the M3 and the previous M5?

M3
-it's a M
-good looking, but is about to be outdated
-engine not tunable, low torque

F10 550i
-good looking, won't be outdated for about 7 years
-4.4L, tunable, 495hp and 573 lb-ft torque

Opinions guys?

Last edited by eNCore; 02-26-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

The 550 is a HEAVY 4400lb car, it's by no ways anything close to an M3 in performance

recent Road and Track Mag has these numbers:
0-60: 5s
1/4: 13.4s
skidpad: 0.88g
Slalom: 66mph

M3 has it beat in every category, no contest. the 550 is no track car. But it is cheaper than an M, a fully loaded is about $68k in line with a E90 M3.
And we all know M5 has beaten the M3 in every category of performance as well except for skidpad and slalom.
If you want straight speed, buy a used M5, if you want a track day/ race inspired car, get the M3.

Last edited by mdosu; 02-26-2011 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

I love the 5 series,

would love to own a 535i
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
The 550 is a HEAVY 4400lb car, it's by no ways anything close to an M3 in performance

recent Road and Track Mag has these numbers:
0-60: 5s
1/4: 13.4s
skidpad: 0.88g
Slalom: 66mph

M3 has it beat in every category, no contest. the 550 is no track car. But it is cheaper than an M, a fully loaded is about $68k in line with a E90 M3.
And we all know M5 has beaten the M3 in every category of performance as well except for skidpad and slalom.
If you want straight speed, buy a used M5, if you want a track day/ race inspired car, get the M3.
I am talking about a tuned 550i.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

apples and oranges
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

The 550 has 8 gears. Even stock it should keep up with one in a straight line. Modded it would most likely walk one, but the M3 will always remain the more pleasurable drive and the tool for the track mechanically.
A 550 is a massive car these days, an M3 will have to wind it's chicken legs to keep up driving aggressively in traffic ssuming the roads are straight and wide like most American cities. The torque is awesome around town. Try a tuned 335 to get a feeling for it if that's what you like
      02-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #7
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

2 completely different cars, the onlything the same about them is the badge. If you need a larger luxery family car with some oompff then the 550i is a good bet. If you have plans on "spirited" driving witha better driving experience then the M3 is your car.

I would assume that since you are comparing these 2 cars that are in 2 different classes, that you don't really have a clue as to what you are looking for and have some money to burn. Test drive them both extensively, write down on a paper what is important to you in a car and grade them each on a scale of 1-10 after you havd driven them.

As far as being "outdated" since this is so far and probably will be the only iteration of the V8 M3........... it will never be outdated and will more than likely be worth more on the open market than the new M3 in certain circles. E9X M3 will be a classic, the F10 550i will not.

Just my .02 cents
      02-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Will it be apples to oranges if you guys look at the tuned 550i as a mini M5?

I know a lot of people are thinking about switching from the M3 to the new M5.

The M5 is faster than the M3 in a straight line but not the track just like the tuned 550i.

So it wouldn't be wrong to look at the tuned 550i as a poor man's M5. It has more HP and torque and is more luxury than the M3, and it is faster in a straight line but not the track; all just like the M5. It's just not as fast and expensive as the M5.

I'm not trying to put down the M3. I love the car. I'm just trying to have a good comparison!

Last edited by eNCore; 02-28-2011 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

It won't be the same type of driving dynamics. There are many cars that can be tuned to out run a ///M3 in a straight line. But when was the last time your daily drive was in a straight line? The 550i will feel heavy in daily traffic and will not have the versatility of a ///M3. Here's what I mean......the ///M3 can be a very relaxing drive if you have it set up right; then at a moments notice all hell can break loose around 8000 RPM. A tuned car is just that, tuned to be one dimensional. Think of the ///M3 has Jekyll and Hyde.....Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybimmer View Post
I'm sorry but E9X V8 is not going to be a "classic". It's a glorified 3 series car with custom parts is what it is. It's a fast car with amazing handling and engineering. But it's not a ferrari maranello or a lotus. It's still a serial production 3 series BMW. Not to mention it's body style is outdated (6 years? now with the current 3 series). I'd love to chat with you when the F3X is released and your "classic" M3 is barely sold for 40k, half of what you spend on it right now (with taxes/fees/etc a fully loaded E90 will cost around 75k). Sometimes you guys make me cry when you make it sound like this is the space shuttle and its just flying its last mission like the Discovery shuttle.

I am by no means suggesting OP to go for 550i, I have never driven a new 5 series, have no idea how heavy it is so cannot comment on it. I just wanted to share my opinion on this whole "NA V8" thing that everyone here is talking about. Reality is, most of you will be waiting in line when the F3X with new idrive, interior, 450hp/500lb engine is released. E46 was also the classic and E9X was just too heavy, guess what, all of you sold your E46 and went for the E9X

OP, don't come to an M3 forum an expect the enthusiast audience most of whom spent a fortune on their car to give you a fair suggestion. You won't find a single thread here where M3 vs. any car was compared and this wasn't the case. The right question isn't 550 vs M3, it is those features you care and how they compare against 550, so you should be asking M3 owners about their mileage, oil changes, exhaust notes, brake maintenance, etc and do the same in the 5 series forum. Your main aim should be facts gathering not getting carried away by biased opinions of everyone here (including me). Lastly, go and test drive both cars, 99% chance you will have made a decision by the end of the day.
Thought.......since you have never driven a 550i and you don't own a ///M3 did you only post to have a negative comment towards ///M3 drivers? I'm amazed at how many comments I've read on this forum where 335i drivers try to hit ///M3 drivers below the belt. At the end of the day, you purchased a 335i for whatever your reason was. Take pride in that and be glad that you are blessed enough to have the means to do so. Don't H8 on others to improve your status......where I'm from, that's ho like...........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nowhere I said or meant to say anything to attack M3 drivers. Take "pride" in the fact that I own a 335? Can you take a second and realize how you sound like? This is just a car, how you can associate something like a pride with it shows you are either obsessed with it or you dont know what pride actually means.
This back and foward nonsense is really not my style.....but let me clarify something for you. When I say take pride, I don't mean take pride in a material object. So now that I have your attention......take pride in the fact that you have the ability and (again) the means ( finances) to afford a new car period! Your choice of car is not my concern. You buy what you desire but at the end of the day, don't minimize others decisions to buy what they desire. Doing so will not improve your status or justify your purchase......Now I'm sure the OP would like to get back on topic...........Phil
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright, sorry for misunderstanding, like I said didnt mean to attack anyone. Anyways, back to topic....

OP, have you considered the space limitation of 3 series (or the fact that F1X is huge)? I have such hard time fitting luggage into my 335, its not even funny. When We have famiky visiting us we actually have to tell them to not to use a big luggage and use two small ones. I am not kidding about this, I even took pictures of my trunk once and sent it to my family along with dimensions. For american life standards, its not a big car
I am just looking for a good looking sports/special car. If it was couple years back I would of got the M3 right away, but I couldn't at that time. Now I can finally get the car the fact that the car will be outdated very soon and the next M3 will be more powerful and eats less gas worries me. Let's face it, everyone wants the newest things.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Turismo View Post
I am just looking for a good looking sports/special car. If it was couple years back I would of got the M3 right away, but I couldn't at that time. Now I can finally get the car the fact that the car will be outdated very soon and the next M3 will be more powerful and eats less gas worries me. Let's face it, everyone wants the newest things.
The newest thing won't be available for at least 3 years. ///M cars aren't ready to go for 18 months or so after the new body style is out.....so lease a E9x now and jump into a new one then.......you'll then have something to compare it to.......Phil
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
e90_2_f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Turismo View Post
I wanted a M3 for many years and is finally able to get one soon, but the fact that it is about to be outdated with the new 3 series coming out got me thinking. The new 550i is also very good looking and will not be outed for about 7 years. Even though I don't like big cars, but the new 5 looks smaller than it actually is. I actually thought it was an E90 a couple times when I saw it on the road. It has a 4.4L V8, and is capable of doing 495hp and 573 lb-ft torque. I may be wrong, but the car tuned may be able to beat the M3 in everyday driving. Anyone know the straight line performance of the tuned 550i compared to the M3 and the previous M5?

M3
-it's a M
-good looking, but is about to be outdated
-engine not tunable, low torque

F10 550i
-good looking, won't be outdated for about 7 years
-4.4L, tunable, 495hp and 573 lb-ft torque

Opinions guys?
I was in this spot 3 month ago...and I am in an m3 now.The best decision that I ever made point blank.

I test drove the 550, 535, 335is, and c63 and e63. The Merks were out of the consideration as they are nice cars but not driver cars, just too mooshy for me.

The 5 series is big and heavy, but it has the torque and is sporty. I have to admit that I was more impressed by the 550 than the e63 on handling and overall package for the price.

The m3 is a dual personality car. You get a family car that by a press of a button or throttle gives you the performance might I say of a sports bike??!?

Steering response, handling, and chassis are incredibly nimble and capable. The engine is on a different level, this v8 loves to push the limits. I never owned a car that shines at rpm north of 7000, I did own bikes that revved that high and performed similarly to this m3. That's why I love this car.

This m3 is 9x is considered the last naturally aspired m3 engine, with time I predict it will be placed as high as the m3 e30 2.5 euro spec which made me love this car 20 years ago.

Test drive them both back to back for a good hour or so. They are both nice cars, I would pick the M3 anyday.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
apples and oranges
this
      02-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaktabi View Post
I was in this spot 3 month ago...and I am in an m3 now.The best decision that I ever made point blank.

I test drove the 550, 535, 335is, and c63 and e63. The Merks were out of the consideration as they are nice cars but not driver cars, just too mooshy for me.

The 5 series is big and heavy, but it has the torque and is sporty. I have to admit that I was more impressed by the 550 than the e63 on handling and overall package for the price.

The m3 is a dual personality car. You get a family car that by a press of a button or throttle gives you the performance might I say of a sports bike??!?

Steering response, handling, and chassis are incredibly nimble and capable. The engine is on a different level, this v8 loves to push the limits. I never owned a car that shines at rpm north of 7000, I did own bikes that revved that high and performed similarly to this m3. That's why I love this car.

This m3 is 9x is considered the last naturally aspired m3 engine, with time I predict it will be placed as high as the m3 e30 2.5 euro spec which made me love this car 20 years ago.

Test drive them both back to back for a good hour or so. They are both nice cars, I would pick the M3 anyday.
I did the same thing. Went in looking at the 550. It was REALLY heavy and you can feel it, even with the sport package. The 535 is much more of a drivers car. I thought about the 535, but finally put down my cash for the e90 M3 ... my second one.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

def two different beast. I will say i drove a 550 for a couple weeks and i must say this car feels soooo fast! i was really impressed but I just had so much more fun getting back into my M3. The 550 is a awesome car I can't even start to imagine what the M5 will be like. but at the end of the day ill keep my M3

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #18
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
I'm sorry but E9X V8 is not going to be a "classic". It's a glorified 3 series car with custom parts is what it is. It's a fast car with amazing handling and engineering. But it's not a ferrari maranello or a lotus. It's still a serial production 3 series BMW. Not to mention it's body style is outdated (6 years? now with the current 3 series). I'd love to chat with you when the F3X is released and your "classic" M3 is barely sold for 40k, half of what you spend on it right now (with taxes/fees/etc a fully loaded E90 will cost around 75k). Sometimes you guys make me cry when you make it sound like this is the space shuttle and its just flying its last mission like the Discovery shuttle.

I am by no means suggesting OP to go for 550i, I have never driven a new 5 series, have no idea how heavy it is so cannot comment on it. I just wanted to share my opinion on this whole "NA V8" thing that everyone here is talking about. Reality is, most of you will be waiting in line when the F3X with new idrive, interior, 450hp/500lb engine is released. E46 was also the classic and E9X was just too heavy, guess what, all of you sold your E46 and went for the E9X

OP, don't come to an M3 forum an expect the enthusiast audience most of whom spent a fortune on their car to give you a fair suggestion. You won't find a single thread here where M3 vs. any car was compared and this wasn't the case. The right question isn't 550 vs M3, it is those features you care and how they compare against 550, so you should be asking M3 owners about their mileage, oil changes, exhaust notes, brake maintenance, etc and do the same in the 5 series forum. Your main aim should be facts gathering not getting carried away by biased opinions of everyone here (including me). Lastly, go and test drive both cars, 99% chance you will have made a decision by the end of the day.

I suppose your right and the enthusiast automotive authorities ei; Top Gear, And all of the Magazines that claimed this iteration of the M3 is going to be a "classic" are all wrong.
      03-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #19
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Can't expect a 335 owner to support claims about an M3... Don't know why you guys are even entertaining his "almost troll" post.

Anyway, they are two really different cars with different styles. I don't agree with the whole "outdated" term you are using though. Even the E46 isn't really "outdated," it just looks different. I still think the E46 is an extremely nice looking car, even with the E9x out now. And the fact that the V8 in the current model will not be continued in the next generation M3's, that makes it even more valuable IMO. V8's have always been synced with a certain type of enthusiast in the car industry, and it will stay that way. A lot of people will never go to a V6 after having driven a V8, no matter what the bells and whistles that come with the 6.

It's a lot of preference, but drive each and see what you enjoy. That's what it all boils down to.
      03-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

This post is actually stupid. The 550i is a family sedan with power. The M3 is a sports car. I personally dont like 4 door cars and dont even know why they made a M3 in 4 doors. Oh yea, to compete with C63.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #21
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

335 -> F10 550i major update

335 -> E90 M3 not so much of an update..

That being said, I still enjoy my 08 E90 M3 almost everyday..it has been almost 3 years since I took delivery..no regret. Had I picked 550i Sport with M5 body kit 3 years ago, I would have kicked myself everyday why I didn't picked the M3.

To each his own. It seemed like F10 550i is probably better for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #22
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Quote:
Nowhere I said or meant to say anything to attack M3 drivers. Take "pride" in the fact that I own a 335? Can you take a second and realize how you sound like? This is just a car, how you can associate something like a pride with it shows you are either obsessed with it or you dont know what pride actually means.

I bought a 335 simply because it has the highest speed sportive looks/practical ratio for my needs among all cars i considered. The fact that I drive a ordered manual car should at least show I am not some random idiot who wants to floor it. I honestly dont see value in spending 80,000 dollars for a 3 series sedan which will look outdated in 6 months. I come to this conclusion and share this view not because I hate M3 or I own a 335, its simply because I had to make a decision on a car 6 months ago and at the time (as its still now) this was the way I felt about these cars. I will however grab a F3X M3 in its 2nd or 3rd year when its mature enough, so I am definetly not an M3 hater.

I find it amusing when people bash/hate on others while saying "I'm not bashing/hating, I'm just saying". Seriously you can't be that naive to think anyone buys that right?

2 things stick out to me from your post above:

1) You don't see the value in spending 80k on a car that will be outdated in 6 months, but you do see value in spending 45k on a car that will be outdated in 6 months. This, to me, says that your concern isn't so much about buying a car that will be outdated (in your opinion), so much as how you much you are able/willing to spend on it.

2) You contradicted yourself in your post. You don't see the value in buying an M3 that will be outdated (again, in your opinion - because E60 M5s still look damn good to me) in 6 months. However, you see yourself buying the F3x M3 2-3 years into it's production. The F3x will be on it's way to becoming outdated 2-3 years into it's production too brother (albeit, not 6 months away).

Just my thoughts...

EDIT - Did I miss the release that said the F3X will be on the ROAD in 6 months?!?!?
Appreciate 0