BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

04-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Grinding/squeaking noise coming from rear brakes

I replaced my pads and rotors the other day. The front were done in one day and had no issues. I did the rear the next day and right after doing them I started to notice a noise coming from the rear passenger side at normal braking.

It has a fast ticking high-pitch squeak when under normal pressure and a slow grinding noise when going very slow and coming to a stop, however - there is no noise when hitting the brakes hard.

Here is the other thing. My old rotors were SHOT and when I say that, I mean that I can guarantee without a shadow of doubt that you've never seen worse rotors on ANY vehicle in your life even if you're a master tech. The pads were worn unevenly as a result, but I did not replace them. I figured they'd wear evenly on the new rotors.

I've more or less ruled out the parking brake at this point. I'm just trying to figure out if it's the pads. I have a new set that I ordered and would rather put them on instead of return them if anyone thinks that it may be helpful. Any advice is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

just replace them. did you at least try to bed them in?
      04-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Change the pads. Bad idea not doing it all at once. Don't cheap out with brakes. Your old ones shouldn't have been that bad before replacing either.

Also I have done brakes on multiple Ford e-series vans that had the rear inner pad with nothing but metal left and the rotor worn to the inner fins. If yours were in any condition similar to this you need to replace everything and still hope your calipers are ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
LostPanda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 M3 , 02' E46 M3

I, too just changed pads on all four corners last week with Textar pads. Not even 5 miles on them and somewhat bedded.. However, mine has a high pitch squeal/ringing harmonics front driver side only when I'm coasting to a slow stop. Just need some confirmation that this is normal or I might have done something wrong..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #5
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I ended up changing them since I was back in there anyway. The issue ended up being the dust shield. It was rubbing ever so slightly on the lip of the rotor where it meets the parking brake assembly. I pushed it back and everything is good. Of course driving this morning to work I hear the other one making the tiniest noise to the point where I wanted to drive the car into a wall so I guess I'll be taking that side back apart tonight to do the same thing. Oh well
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Change the pads. Bad idea not doing it all at once. Don't cheap out with brakes. Your old ones shouldn't have been that bad before replacing either.

Also I have done brakes on multiple Ford e-series vans that had the rear inner pad with nothing but metal left and the rotor worn to the inner fins. If yours were in any condition similar to this you need to replace everything and still hope your calipers are ok.
Also to respond to that, you are correct. I shouldn't have waited. I should have also made myself more clear. I'd consider rotors with the inner fins showing to be completely unusable. These were not showing the inner fins, but they have a massive lip that you could probably fit two quarters inside of on each side of the rotor. To be clear, these are the worst USABLE rotors you would ever see.
Appreciate 0