BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
ramo135
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 ZCP Alpine White

Lux H8 issues

Hey I've had my current set of H8's for just about a year and a half. One side has died and their warranty only covers 1 year. I had a previous version of their lights on a Z4 in 2016 and same as these one side went out after about a year and a half.

I emailed their customer support and they told me this shouldn't happen and lifespan should be about 5 years but he would sell me one side discounted to $80. Should I just bite the bullet and purchase from them again? Any other recommendations? I know they are well liked I just don't want to get burned again on these.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

I am going to put an opinion here which may be nonsense or maybe someone else can speak to.

You can set the brightness of stock halos using a tool like Carly.

Obviously with led its digital and you are either on or off.

When I installed my lux I purposely lowered the brightness setting under the theory that while the output stays the same the lower voltage may add some longevity to the components. I didn't do any elaborate testing, just knocked down the brightness from max to high or medium in Carly and left it at that.

So perhaps your halos are set to max which shortened the life of your current set.

Someone with more knowledge of electronics than me feel free to correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

IMO for the price of these bulbs, they don't last very long. I too had a set and one side started burning out a little after a year. I had the adjustable color ones and the white LEDs burnt out leaving one side more blue.

Stuck my OEM bulbs back in and moved on. OEM bulbs is still the original set that came with the car, going good for 6 years now. Save your dough and put it towards a real headlight retrofit.
      07-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
I bought my car with them installed and one went out soon after. I just took them both out as it seems like a waste of money since I'm planning to do bayoptiks headlights eventually.
Appreciate 0