BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
E4superfly
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

kw clubsport vs nitron R1

which to get?

looking for recommendations and why. I primarily drive my car on the street but do about 5 track days a year.

I want something that will be compliant enough for street use but can be stiffened up for track. I don't want ohlins road and track or kw v3's cause of the large spring on the front that may cause clearance issues I'm already running 275/30R19 upfront and will be going 275/35R18 all round soon.

I also don't want to make a purchase then have to swap it out in a few months because it's too uncomfortable or not track focused enough.

I know their is no goldilocks coilover just looking for a decent compromise.

I'm leaning towards nitron R1's cause I've seen a lot of track cars run their stuff and they come with warranty unlike the kw clubsports.
      07-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

In terms of capable track suspension, that's also very livable with on the road the Clubsports are hard to beat for the money.

Most of the users on this forum are from North America, and Nitron is definitely not a big name over here - so finding first hand experiences will be tough. With that being said I've heard good things about their suspension as well. From personal experience (on an E46 M3), the Clubsports will fit your needs very well and you won't be disappointed. Would the Nitrons be betters? Maybe. I'm sure both overall will be quite similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
I just went through this exercise considering AST 5k series, KW Clubsports, MCS, and the JRZ RS Sport line. Whatever direction you go, speak with manufacturers directly before pulling the trigger based on online reviews. Ideally someone that has direct experience with your chassis, stock level, track experience, and goals.

Lastly consider Apex! They'll work a custom built kit and likely have the components in stock. Vs long lead times as most retailers simply drop ship from the manufacturer. Apex was considerably less expensive than the competition too. Ryan at Apex was awesome and thoroughly knew the e92 chassis first hand. He spent over an hour talking through spring rates, dampers, and the respective impact from tires, aero, clearance, and addressable upgrades. No question was too basic. I went with a two way damper and thus will leverage them with tuning. Can't speak highly enough.

Worth a thought... Enjoy the process!
      07-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
chalbe
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, jeeps

I don't know anything about Nitrons, but I have 2-way clubsports. I DD them and autocross every two weeks.
I thought it might be too stiff for DD'ing too. If you want it softer then reduce compression, which is the same with other coilovers. 8 or 9 clicks from full stiff is pretty comfortable.

For autocross I have 18x10's with 275/35's. Its likely going to have tire interference with the front height adjustment collar. The options to fix this are front spacers, swapping to a shorter front main spring, removing the helper spring keeping the KW main spring, or using 9.5" front wheels with 265's or 275's. I swapped to the shorter main spring and don't have any issues, and I don't need spacers. There is a thread about swapping the springs. I posted my results there. If you have the tools it's very easy.

JRZ's are pretty popular, which have a shorter front spring stack height. There seem to be no tire interference issues using wide wheels/tires with JRZ's.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
dickchow
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3/2007 M5

I love my club sport and it performed well for dual purpose. Most impressive part about the KWs is how robust and tough to the elements. After 3 DD winters and the collars can still be adjusted freely by hand.

There are much better shocks out there but much more delicate and require more frequent rebuild. Team Schrimer uses nitron for their race cars and customers.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:08 AM   #6
nigt3
Rep
Drives: m3

To be honest, you can’t go wrong with either, their both very good and absolutely streets ahead of the standard suspension. Personally I’d go with nitron solely because I’ve had them before and always found them very good but you cannot go wrong with KW either.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
E4superfly
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigt3 View Post
To be honest, you can’t go wrong with either, their both very good and absolutely streets ahead of the standard suspension. Personally I’d go with nitron solely because I’ve had them before and always found them very good but you cannot go wrong with KW either.

how were the nitron r1's on the street