BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

02-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #45
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I believe you can do it also, but think it stresses the diff bushings and those 3 sideways bolts were not meant to support half the weight of the car. Using a block just aft of the diff to run from the subframe down to the jack is the better way.
Appreciate 1
Exclusivs540.50
      02-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #46
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I believe you can do it also, but think it stresses the diff bushings and those 3 sideways bolts were not meant to support half the weight of the car. Using a block just aft of the diff to run from the subframe down to the jack is the better way.
You have a block already cut ? Trying to figure out ideal dimensions for this particular spot
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #47
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

No. I have many blocks and can usually find one that works.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #48
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Revisiting w some observations :

Using hockey puck on saddle and lifting at side rubber jack points creates extra resistance. Thought may have been the jack, so tried w/o puck and required significantly less effort BUT not ideal! As the Arcan saddle (like majority of other jacks) does not have a flat rubber top. The raised edges will press into your rocker panel. Found it essentially impossible to align saddle center on the side point without it making contact with rocker. Will be trying the jack pad adapter that fits into the side factory jack pad (YES I believed they were, and maybe still are a major gimmick but maybe they do work as intended). Bunch of different ones on the market - I made sure to order one that had a rubber bottom that would not slip while raising or lowering the car.

Front center rubber jacking point : no issues jacking up with puck on saddle. My guess is because that point is already made of a firm rubber - not one that recesses up like the sides. Hope this helps anyone, and please feel free to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #49
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

You need jack pad adapters. Buy a set of 4 on eBay.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #50
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep. Ordered the BT one , and another to try. Will have by tmr or Sat. Truly thought these were gimmicks till now. They are now making a lot of sense - long as they're manufactured well.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #51
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Have you ever just used the jack as it is? It works fine. Jack pads are totally unnecessary. The only reason I could see someone wanting jack pads (and this is fine if you do) is not wanting the jack surface touching the lower part of the side skirts at all.

I've used some rubber capped, flat top jack stands to support the car as I worked on it, and it was 100% solid. May as well have been on the ground with all the wheels on.
      02-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #52
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Have you ever just used the jack as it is? It works fine. Jack pads are totally unnecessary. The only reason I could see someone wanting jack pads (and this is fine if you do) is not wanting the jack surface touching the lower part of the side skirts at all.

I've used some rubber capped, flat top jack stands to support the car as I worked on it, and it was 100% solid. May as well have been on the ground with all the wheels on.
Exactly the reason I ordered the adapters. As noted in the lengthy reply - jack works "fine" without sure. But does make contact w side skirt and am not okay with that. Having a simple solution like a pad adapter (already in mail) if it works well and doesn't slide or provide an unstable surface what's the hurt?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 06:25 AM   #53
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

They are like a hockey puck with a rectangle on top, so they do exactly what you want. Obviously you use just with the 4 side points. For the center, I just use the jack with no adapter though you can put a block of wood on it for more height if needed.

Mine are one piece aluminum and I paid about $50 for 4 years ago on eBay. BMW has needed these for 20 years — I used these adapters on our 99 528i.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #54
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Probably not the same as you got years ago, but you can now get 5 adaptors for less than $20! I have no idea on the quality, but it's not like we use them every day...

E9x BMW jack pad adapters

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #55
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yep. Grabbed this FGT one, used it over the weekend. Served its purpose well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #56
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post

Using hockey puck on saddle and lifting at side rubber jack points creates extra resistance. Thought may have been the jack, so tried w/o puck and required significantly less effort BUT not ideal! As the Arcan saddle (like majority of other jacks) does not have a flat rubber top. The raised edges will press into your rocker panel. Found it essentially impossible to align saddle center on the side point without it making contact with rocker. Will be trying the jack pad adapter that fits into the side factory jack pad (YES I believed they were, and maybe still are a major gimmick but maybe they do work as intended). Bunch of different ones on the market - I made sure to order one that had a rubber bottom that would not slip while raising or lowering the car.

Front center rubber jacking point : no issues jacking up with puck on saddle. My guess is because that point is already made of a firm rubber - not one that recesses up like the sides. Hope this helps anyone, and please feel free to chime in.
I didn't see anywhere but did the jack finally work? Were you able to reach the front point without any issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:47 AM   #57
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciprem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post

I didn't see anywhere but did the jack finally work? Were you able to reach the front point without any issue?
No, it didn't unfortunately. Best bet will be work with 2 jacks or a race ramp. Get 1 side supported and then there's enough room to access the center.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:51 AM   #58
Blasus
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: m3

I was searching for the best floor jack so I can go easily change my wheels or go under my car home to change oil and some small things by myself, and it was so hard because my car was low and I was afraid not to break anything and I got the Arcan ALJ3T Floor Jack, and I can say that I am happy with this, because its almost 3 years since I got them, and I never had a problem with them. Now I have a pick-up and a small coupe, and I use them on both cars with no problem and I go under the car very confident.

Last edited by Blasus; 01-28-2021 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:44 PM   #59
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

I have the longest and lowest stack height jack I could find, made by Sunex, at 2-3/4" height. Although the arm is very low and very long, i still cannot get it under either of my lowered cars.
Appreciate 0