BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

03-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #23
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Find a high volume dealer and/or provide logic as to why they should sell for less. Don't show emotion. Don't be afraid to walk away.

I used to be in the auto sales industry in the Seattle area. Worked it old school. 4 squares. If I could would you's. Bumps. Pencils. Bought my '08 M3 from a BMW dealer. Don't remember the specifics, but did pretty well.

Wife and I moved to Arizona last August. Upon arriving, I quickly decided it was time for the MDX to go and I needed to get back into an M3. The car selling/buying culture down here was night and day from Seattle. Went to several dealers. I didn't run into salesmen. I ran into schmucks who just walked back and forth from me to the sales office. Pricing was a joke. I informed all of them that I was very successful in the auto sales industry and to not pull any games. I got lowballed on my trade, but then offered large discounts. As if I wasn't going to pick that up. I got offered what I wanted for my trade, but told they can't discount because they're in the car too much. Meanwhile asking above retail prices. It was ridiculous. Friends of mine down here experienced somewhat the same thing on a Merc SUV they wanted. But they really wanted it, so they just bought it. It was on sale. They got a pretty solid deal, but better could have been had.

Long story short, I found my '11 M3 at Chapman BMW. I ran into a real salesman. A guy who had been there a long time and had been in the industry 20+ years. They're high volume. They have 2 BMW dealers in the area. I presented him with Manheim auction figures on my MDX and on his M3. I advised my concern was overall profit and lack of profit on my trade. Trade on my MDX was $38k, but they were going for $40k at auction. I got $40k for my trade. Retail on the M3 was around $54k or so and they had it listed at $57k. I got it for $49.5k after agreeing that $2k in profit was fair and that it was my informed opinion that they were in it somewhere between $46.5k and $48k.

It can be done. Just have patience. Don't get anxious. And if possible, treat your salesman like a friend. The more he likes you, the harder he'll work for you. Treat him like shit, and he won't give 2 shits if you buy a car or not.

2020 RDX A-Spec : Apex Blue Pearl / Red
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #24
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
It's an M3, you aren't buying a used Honda. If you don't buy it at their list price the next sucker through the door will and they know that.
+1

It's best to look for a private market sale. Dealers are price gauging playing up the fact that these are the last of the NA V8s.. blah blah.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #25
esk8mw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3

In case anyone's interested, I finally found a decent dealer and great, responsive salesman willing to give a fair price. Got a pristine, low mileage, loaded 2011 ZCP sedan for under $47k. I'm happy.
Appreciate 0