BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #177
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Just got it back and could not be happier, seriously felt like Christmas opening up the wrappers. TMS test pipes come in tomorrow so i'll be getting it all on next week sometime. Can't wait!!
Besides it looking AMAZING , there isn't any real benefit to ceramic coating a catback, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon View Post
Those tips are significantly nicer than the Ti tips! Damn, now my wheels are turning again. Ahhh, this forum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
The rolled tips are still Ti but yeah man this forum is a gateway drug to broke but happy.
Yeah I'm struggling here. I just dropped money on track wheels/tires, camber plates, install/alignment blah blah blah and now I want a Megan with primary cat delete. argh!
Coating the connecting pipes keeps heat otherwise dissipated though the exhaust from heating up the rear differential. In general coating the entire rear section will help recover some exhaust gas speed (energy) other wise lost at an area that is already the slowest. As we all know hot air is lighter than cooler air and can create lift undernieth the car. Though the area is well vented the problem still does exist and though the gains are minimal they are still there with ceramic coating the entire exhaust or as much as possible. It also looks great and helps fight corrosion to leave your exhaust looking and performing well for many years to come.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #178
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Got her mounted this morning! Left side looks a bit lower than the right so I might go back in for an adjustment. Definitely much louder than stock. Especially in the lower revs when leaving from a stop, etc. Up top it's got a nice note to it, but nothing obnoxious. Highway sound is decent. Around 70mph it's fairly quiet with a little resonance entering the cab as you move towards 80mph. BTW, black tips on a white car looks very good. I'm unsure about leaving my rivets unpainted at this point. When I post some pics later I'll look for some opinions.

EDIT: forgot to add that at WOT it sounds AWESOME!!!

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #179
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

My fitment isnt 100 percent perfect but they are level. One side extends a few mm more than the other. Frankly you have to get the perfect (imperfect?) angle to even notice it. Id want them level though, so good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #180
Sully1Time
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' MR440i

Garage List
Quote:
Got her mounted this morning! Left side looks a bit lower than the right so I might go back in for an adjustment. Definitely much louder than stock. Especially in the lower revs when leaving from a stop, etc. Up top it's got a nice note to it, but nothing obnoxious. Highway sound is decent. Around 70mph it's fairly quiet with a little resonance entering the cab as you move towards 80mph. BTW, black tips on a white car looks very good. I'm unsure about leaving my rivets unpainted at this point. When I post some pics later I'll look for some opinions.

Mine is a tiny bit lower on the left as well, only a few mm but needs an adjustment
      04-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #181
hypnotik126
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

So, I just decided to pick up a Megan locally instead of waiting on my order to ship (ordered mine back in January). I ordered an all stainless, but a local forum member was selling his titanium with rolled tips for an awesome price, so I went for it.

Bought it

Cleaned it

Installing tomorrow and will be sure to post a proper video once I install the test pipes and get a mic.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #182
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Very excellent cleaning job.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #183
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Is this louder than a OEM perforated mod ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #184
Matterhorn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotik126 View Post
So, I just decided to pick up a Megan locally instead of waiting on my order to ship (ordered mine back in January). I ordered an all stainless, but a local forum member was selling his titanium with rolled tips for an awesome price, so I went for it.

Bought it

Cleaned it

Installing tomorrow and will be sure to post a proper video once I install the test pipes and get a mic.
What a difference!
I hope mine ships tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #185
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon

If one side sticks out more than you need to push the the connecting pipe in more on the side that's sticking out more.

If one side is lower than the other, Unbolt everything but the muffler and see how it sets just hanging by its self. If it hangs perfectly then you need to redo your install. Work from rear to the x pipe.

If it doesn't hang correctly then you might have a bent hanger.

I had both problems but tip length was fixed as I described and tip height I just played with my install until it was perfect.

Good luck!
      04-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #186
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon

If one side sticks out more than you need to push the the connecting pipe in more on the side that's sticking out more.

If one side is lower than the other, Unbolt everything but the muffler and see how it sets just hanging by its self. If it hangs perfectly then you need to redo your install. Work from rear to the x pipe.

If it doesn't hang correctly then you might have a bent hanger.

I had both problems but tip length was fixed as I described and tip height I just played with my install until it was perfect.

Good luck!
Great tips, thank you! I'll take your suggestion and work from the rear section forward.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #187
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Took my car back over to the shop yesterday. The mechanic (Justin) was super nice and insisted on doing everything he could to align the exhaust perfectly. When we started the left side was lower than the right side by approximately 3/8". I know this seems small, but visually it was obvious to me. Started by loosening all clamps and let the rear section hang on its own. Upon closer inspection the left side hanger (with safety strap), appeared to be bent when compared to the right side. A little magic with a crowbar and the exhaust was sitting pretty close to level but just wasn't spot on. We decided to install 2 washers on each post under the right side rubber mount to drop it another 3/16". Perfect! The exhaust now sits 10-1/2" from the floor on all four tips. A little patience goes a long way.

Here's some pics installed:
Attached Images

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #188
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Took my car back over to the shop yesterday. The mechanic (Justin) was super nice and insisted on doing everything he could to align the exhaust perfectly. When we started the left side was lower than the right side by approximately 3/8". I know this seems small, but visually it was obvious to me. Started by loosening all clamps and let the rear section hang on its own. Upon closer inspection the left side hanger (with safety strap), appeared to be bent when compared to the right side. A little magic with a crowbar and the exhaust was sitting pretty close to level but just wasn't spot on. We decided to install 2 washers on each post under the right side rubber mount to drop it another 3/16". Perfect! The exhaust now sits 10-1/2" from the floor on all four tips. A little patience goes a long way.

Here's some pics installed:
The black tips looks so good!
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #189
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

My last piece of the puzzle came in yesterday, getting everything installed this Saturday

MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #190
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
My last piece of the puzzle came in yesterday, getting everything installed this Saturday

Damn you! The gauntlet has been thrown down!! LOL!!

Seriously though, congrats. Let us know how the install goes. Tune pending?

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #191
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn you! The gauntlet has been thrown down!! LOL!!

Seriously though, congrats. Let us know how the install goes. Tune pending?
I'm gonna run the BMS downpipe fix for now, still debating if i should get a tune or not
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #192
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

This is infectious, I just ended up ordering the exhaust myself. Will see how it goes when it gets here.

By the way, many seem to be pairing this with test pipes. Is there a particular advantage to doing this instead of getting an x-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #193
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
This is infectious, I just ended up ordering the exhaust myself. Will see how it goes when it gets here.

By the way, many seem to be pairing this with test pipes. Is there a particular advantage to doing this instead of getting an x-pipe?
I went with a test pipe because it was only 400-500 dollars compare to thousands of dollar for an xpipe that yield the same output in HP, This has to be one of the best bang for the buck setup.

I went through so many exhaust Encore TI, Remus Sport, RPI GT catless, RPI section 3, and gintani race it was either to loud or to quiet for my taste. I'm hoping this setup will be it for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #194
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep

I find it to be loud enough for my taste. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but sometimes the low rpm harmonics get to me. Another forum member turned me on to using Dynamat in the trunk and I think it has definitely helped alleviated a fair amount of unwanted resonance. I believe he was a little more enthusiastic than me as he put 3 layers on the bottom of the plastic tray. I opted out of this because a) getting the tray out looked to be a PITA, and b) that was going to be like $200 in Dynamat. I think if I lay down a layer of acoustic carpet in the tray it will be right where I want it. Sorry. That was a bit long winded...

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #195
advans
Advansolosis
Rep
Drives: ///M+////AMG

mine arrived at the shop! installing it early bird saturday morning! can't wait!

2011 E90 M3, ESS VT2-650, 2015 GL550
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #196
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans View Post
mine arrived at the shop! installing it early bird saturday morning! can't wait!
Where did you guys order from, I'm about to pull the trigger on this.
      04-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #197
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post

Hehe, just had mine installed today! Turned out great, and the difference is definitely noticeable to me. Can't wait to get the car tuned, just waiting for some free time.

Btw, I've got it paired with the OEM exhaust mod (bypass) and it's ridiculously loud. Going to drive like this for a few days and then decide if I'm going Megan exhaust.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #198
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Hehe, just had mine installed today! Turned out great, and the difference is definitely noticeable to me. Can't wait to get the car tuned, just waiting for some free time.

Btw, I've got it paired with the OEM exhaust mod (bypass) and it's ridiculously loud. Going to drive like this for a few days and then decide if I'm going Megan exhaust.
Lucky you my bodyshop reschedule my car until next saturday, i was gonna drop by a Sonic but they are book also this week. guess ill wait to get it done since i need them to pop out a door ding for me also.

We demand video now hahaha
Appreciate 0