BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
JuRuKi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

want to make my Eisenmann race louder

I currently have a mostly stock e90 M3 and my first mod was getting an Eisenmann race exhaust. I got the race version because i read on this forum that it was LOUD but after installing mine i was kinda dissapointed in the loudness. It sounds really good but i feel like it could be a little bit louder.
So i looked into different options to make my Eisenmann louder and its either getting an X-pipe or I know one guy that removed the OEM resonators but I pm'ed him but he didnt reply.
Would removing the stock resonators make my car obnoxiously loud with a lot of drone? What would be louder getting a X-pipe or removing the resonators? anyone with Eisenmann race that removed the resonators?
thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Any change to the cats or resonators will of course increase the sound. Most of what you've read about the sound comes from people with HFC/catless x-pipes.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Macht Schnell test pipes remove the primary cats and are much cheaper than the x-pipe option. Although a race x-pipe like the challenge one would be much louder as it removes all cats and resonators
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
I have a Challenge Race+ X-pipe, and also including Challenge Resonators for a good deal, that will definitely make your car sound louder
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuRuKi View Post
I currently have a mostly stock e90 M3 and my first mod was getting an Eisenmann race exhaust. I got the race version because i read on this forum that it was LOUD but after installing mine i was kinda dissapointed in the loudness. It sounds really good but i feel like it could be a little bit louder.
So i looked into different options to make my Eisenmann louder and its either getting an X-pipe or I know one guy that removed the OEM resonators but I pm'ed him but he didnt reply.
Would removing the stock resonators make my car obnoxiously loud with a lot of drone? What would be louder getting a X-pipe or removing the resonators? anyone with Eisenmann race that removed the resonators?
thank you!
Funny, I have the opposite problem, see the thread I started yesterday. My eisenmann race is very loud, louder than I expected, and it seems that some folks have experienced different levels of loudness with that type of exhaust.

Wish I was closer to you so that we could compare in person and possibly trade.

BTW did you reuse the stock connecting pipes or did you get the ones from eisenmann?

Last edited by sycd; 11-09-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Catless X-Pipe FTW! Gintani & RPI Catless X's are probably the loudest two

This is actually an Eisenmann Race with a Gintani X

PS -- How long have you had your Eisenmann? Possible that it's not fully broken in & could get louder as you drive the car some more.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I installed hfc Aa xpipe to my existing loud muffler and the car sounds like a true race car. It's not only louder but way meaner with a side nasty to it. That's ur option if u want to go loud.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

did you used to have a 370z??
      11-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Get some test pipes. They will increase the volume and give you a noticeable power bump. Best mod for the M3. You will get a CEL so you will need a tune or a CEL fix (like Akra delete-R or BMS downpipe fix). There is no reason to buy a new x-pipe.

Removing the resonators won't make it much louder, just more "unpleasant". Resonators help to remove some unpleasant tones more than they muffle the sound (hence the need for that big ass muffler).
      11-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
JuRuKi
Private First Class
Rep

hmmm every xpipe + eisenmann race combo sound soo loud on youtube. I live in a town home and i dont wanna disturb my neighbours at 7am every day.
I think im just gonna remove the OEM resonators and hope the drone isnt too bad
this is the youtube video that i found:

Kchu221 i remember you from the 370z forums! Good to see you in the BMW forums
Sold the 370z and i miss its loudness heheh
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
JuRuKi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post
Macht Schnell test pipes remove the primary cats and are much cheaper than the x-pipe option. Although a race x-pipe like the challenge one would be much louder as it removes all cats and resonators
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Get some test pipes. They will increase the volume and give you a noticeable power bump. Best mod for the M3. You will get a CEL so you will need a tune or a CEL fix (like Akra delete-R or BMS downpipe fix). There is no reason to buy a new x-pipe.

Removing the resonators won't make it much louder, just more "unpleasant". Resonators help to remove some unpleasant tones more than they muffle the sound (hence the need for that big ass muffler).
Would test pipes make my car sound raspy? whats cheaper a tune or a CEL fix eg akra delete-R or BMS downpipe? im modding on a budget

M3PO thx for the tip about removing resonators, i dont want more unpleasant sounds.
hmmmmm what to do... lol
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Would test pipes make my car sound raspy? whats cheaper a tune or a CEL fix eg akra delete-R or BMS downpipe? im modding on a budget

M3PO thx for the tip about removing resonators, i dont want more unpleasant sounds.
hmmmmm what to do... lol

Get a catless X-pipe & Tune. The tune will eliminate the CEL & you'll also get a nice bump in power (40/50 WHP from a Tune + X-Pipe combo, upgrade the Pulley & Air Filter & you'll be 390-410 WHP). Also by not chopping up the OEM X for Test Pipes, you can always return the car to stock (resale/service/etc etc).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
JuRuKi
Private First Class
Rep

Wouldn't a catless Xpipe make my car sound too loud? I want a little more volume but I don't want it obnoxiously loud. The idea of 40 whp sounds very tempting though lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Get a catless X-pipe & Tune. The tune will the CEL & you'll also get a nice bump in power (40/50 WHP from a Tune + X-Pipe combo, upgrade the Pulley & Air Filter & you'll be 390-410 WHP). Also by not chopping up the OEM X for Test Pipes, you can always return the car to stock (resale/service/etc etc).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
JuRuKi
Private First Class
Rep

Which one is the most quiet catless x-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Which one is the most quiet catless x-pipe?

That'll wake up the neighbors
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

Quote:
hmmm every xpipe + eisenmann race combo sound soo loud on youtube. I live in a town home and i dont wanna disturb my neighbours at 7am every day.
I think im just gonna remove the OEM resonators and hope the drone isnt too bad
this is the youtube video that i found:

Kchu221 i remember you from the 370z forums! Good to see you in the BMW forums
Sold the 370z and i miss its loudness heheh
haha i thought i recognized your name! but look into the mastermind street x pipe! it deletes the primary and secondary cats but has twin resonators! ill be getting that soon!
      11-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Wouldn't a catless Xpipe make my car sound too loud? I want a little more volume but I don't want it obnoxiously loud. The idea of 40 whp sounds very tempting though lol
Something with high-flow cats (will lower your gains) & dual resonators. I'd look into (YouTube Research) the Fabspeed & Challenge X-Pipes (both sells x's with those options).

The problem is your X-pipe as much as the Eisenmann Race exhausts lol
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
This personally is one of the best Eisenmann Race combos I've ever heard...and he's selling. Go down to post #9
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...eisenmann+race
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Lalit@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

How about a set of ACM test pipes
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
crispy tofu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

if you want louder, you can go with a muffler delete. It is very inexpensive and you save a ton of weight. and it sounds amazing on our cars. Although you won't get the power increase of removed or high flow cats.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #21
NickS65
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 MRed ZCP

Hello M3 (ex) owners,

I am new to this forum and I couldn't find the 'introduction' segment, so I thought I'd do it here.

First of all I'd like to say that this forum is filled with information from owners from all over the world, which helps alot of people (registered and unregistered, like me until today). This is something I appreciate as it's a 'wikipedia' for M3 owners who need information concerning their beloved car.

2nd of all; I am 24 years old and from Holland (I love how most Americans love modding). I am a lucky guy as I am the owner of a Melbourne red E92 M3 ZCP since ~6 months (after owning an E90 318i and a 325i Coupe)

3rd of all; I hope I am not bumping an old threat, but I searched for 2 days, for the answer to my question which is becoming a bit of a obstacle for me now as I cannot seem to be finding the answer, or maybe I am not 'seeing' the answer.

I think this is the most appriopriate topic to ask. Do excuse me, as I think this is still a bit of a hard question;

I am having the exact same issue as the thread opener; I installed my Eisenmann Race muffler 3 months ago, but I am also a bit disappointed in the 'loudness' (the sound itself is amazing imho).

I also am a bit 'against' cutting up the whole thing underneath my car and I think that is why my question is a bit of a problem to answer.

I am looking for a solution; increasing the decibels without having to tamper with too much parts, avoiding the well known 'CEL', the tune (removing errors scares me) and/or gasoline smell. This is because I do not want any problems with the tests, and to prevent the smell, which plenty of people around me experience as a horrid one.

I have seen 30+ youtube video's of the most wicked pipes (Gintani + Eisenmann Race), Challenge X pipe + Eisenmann race, the OEM Mod + Turner Test pipes, etcetera. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE hearing them, they are just too loud/raspy for me concerning people around me.

The X pipe seems to me, a quite expensive solution to what I want (an increase in decibels, nothing more)

I think (do please correct me if I am wrong) I have two options, concerning the CEL and smell avoiding issue;

1. Remove the secundairy cats entirely
2. Change the secundairy cats into HFC's (High Flow Cats)

People should not run away from the cold start or low revs, I would just like more 'RAARH' while seeking the 8000 RPM+ of this beloved engine.

Is trying secondairy race cats worth it, or should I go for the removal of the secondary cats right away? Or is this improvement of the sound too little and not worth the $$? I'm looking for the most ideal solution for a decibel improvement, the extra power is a nice side-issue, but certainly not priority.

I thank you in advance, and again, I am sorry if I yet missed a topic which answers this question anyway.

Nick

Last edited by NickS65; 04-21-2016 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0