BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

12-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #793
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I ended up ordering a new unit.

The existing updated AUX will be removed and posted for sale if anyone wants to buy it.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #794
Mister_mtree
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

So the new unit does not use the aux or bluetooth for audio anymore?
wifi to connect to carplay then the carplay unit direct connect to the cic then cic to speaker using most?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #795
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

I'm in. Just took the plunge...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #796
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Siri was working all day yesterday, no issues at all.. then this morning Siri wasn't connecting to factory mic.. a few hours later it started working again..

I think what's happening here is that Carplay natively wants to keep its audio source to itself (The "Carplay" audio connection, which has zero actual connection to the BMW speakers/microphone), and that when switching between functions (telephone, music, siri, playing back voice mails, etc), the Carplay box switches back to itself when the user switches functions, but Kremisino is overriding this and quickly setting the audio source to the BMW factory bluetooth system, which is how they're gaining control of the factory mic. They seem to have the logic worked out for this when switching from music to the telephone - if I'm listening to music, then place an outbound call, I can see on my iPhone that the audio source changes from the BMW factory bluetooth to "Carplay" (where I get no audio/mic), then within 1-2 seconds is automatically switches back to the BMW factory bluetooth so I do get audio/mic, and all is well.

However, when triggering Siri, their automatic switching over to the BMW factory mic is not always consistent - it often doesn't switch over, therefore I don't get any audio input/output from siri.

I had previously mentioned that sometimes when switching from the telephone back to the music, I had to press the volume/mute on the dash twice for the audio to come back.. I found that if I go to the iPhone control center, I can also fix this by changing the audio output from "Carplay" to the BMW bluetooth connection and the audio comes back. This would lead me to believe that upon mute/unmute, they're again overriding/switching the audio source back to the BMW factory system again via a canbus signal.

I think their code just isn't polished enough at this point.. Given that they are able to detect events such as the outbound telephone call and consistently switch the audio source for this event, I'd think this would be able to be fixed via software. I've been chatting with Michael tonight about these remaining issues who said they'd be working on this to "change a software" so it sounds like an update will be in the works...

Hopefully when more people install this new model and submit feedback we can get the kinks worked out.. If anybody in socal an would like to see it in person, hit me up.. I'm in north county San Diego.

Last edited by brettcp; 12-24-2019 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
derbo3608.50
      12-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #797
Daniboy
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

So I just got time to try to install the new unit.
Delivery was very fast, ordered December 10, got it December 16.
The installation is pretty straightforward and I got the CarPlay working with my iPhone very easily

The only problem is that I can't get audio out of the unit.

My CIC does not have bluetooth audio only bluetooth phone so I'm guessing this is the problem. Any ideas?
If this is the problem, anyone knows if I can change the original CIC unit so I can get a CIC with bluetooth audio?
I don't want to use the AUX and get lower sound quality.

Regards,
Daniel
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #798
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
The installation is pretty straightforward and I got the CarPlay working with my iPhone very easily

My CIC does not have bluetooth audio only bluetooth phone so I'm guessing this is the problem. Any ideas?
If this is the problem, anyone knows if I can change the original CIC unit so I can get a CIC with bluetooth audio?

Regards,
Daniel
You need to do the combox retrofit to get Bluetooth audio.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 01:59 AM   #799
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:

Regards,
Daniel
Did you attempt to select AUX?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #800
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

It sounds like they're working on a software update, in response to my reports about Siri not consistently taking over the factory mic/speaker, they've mentioned "changing a software" and "we'll see if we can fix it" so hopefully something will be released soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #801
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

I directly asked Michael in an email if I required AUX in since I do not have the combox with bluetooth audio. I'm waiting for a reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #802
rob10k8
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
It sounds like they're working on a software update, in response to my reports about Siri not consistently taking over the factory mic/speaker, they've mentioned "changing a software" and "we'll see if we can fix it" so hopefully something will be released soon.
I haven't tried Siri until today and found that I am having the same problem (I have a F32 which has NBT).

Sometimes when I press the button on the steering wheel, I hear the beep of Siri over my speakers, but other times I do not. It does however, always seem to hear me over the factory mic. Also, sometimes, it does not go back to CarPlay and I get no sound. I haven't done a lot of testing on this, so all I can say is that sometime it doesn't work.

Also, one other thing I noticed is that it is a bit slower to show the backup camera when putting in reverse and also slower to go back to normal after going back into drive. Even though it is slower, it isn't so bad that makes me wait until the backup camera unusable (or where I would have to sit for a second until the image appears). It's just a bit slower - I'm guessing, it just takes the CarPlay box a little longer to do it's thing.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #803
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10k8 View Post
I haven't tried Siri until today and found that I am having the same problem (I have a F32 which has NBT).

Sometimes when I press the button on the steering wheel, I hear the beep of Siri over my speakers, but other times I do not. It does however, always seem to hear me over the factory mic. Also, sometimes, it does not go back to CarPlay and I get no sound. I haven't done a lot of testing on this, so all I can say is that sometime it doesn't work.
Sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.. If you haven't already, please report this to Michael.. I think they only have a few of these new units out in the wild at this point so they do need to get feedback in order to fix these issues.

It seems like their software just doesn't reliably take control of the factory bluetooth audio source with siri and when switching between functions.

Other than these minor issues, it's been great. I haven't found any other issues yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:34 AM   #804
Daniboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I directly asked Michael in an email if I required AUX in since I do not have the combox with bluetooth audio. I'm waiting for a reply.
Yes you do. I'm in the same place.
I can't get sound and after talking with Michael and his engineer now they said I can use AUX IN or Bluetooth Audio. My Combox doesn't have Bluetooth Audio so I can only use AUX IN.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:40 AM   #805
Daniboy
Rep

Quote:
Did you attempt to select AUX?
Yes but it work two ways.
1 With bluetooth audio.
2 With AUX if you use the AUX cable connected to the armrest AUX IN.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:42 AM   #806
Daniboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
You need to do the combox retrofit to get Bluetooth audio.
Ok anyone knows if I can buy the OEM Combox with bluetooth audio that came for E90 after 2011 and put it in my car? Or I have to buy an aftermarket option?
And If I do can anyone recommend a good one?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #807
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Ok anyone knows if I can buy the OEM Combox with bluetooth audio that came for E90 after 2011 and put it in my car? Or I have to buy an aftermarket option?
And If I do can anyone recommend a good one?
Yes search for combox retrofit there are a few guides. It involves re-pinning a connector and coding mostly.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #808
rob10k8
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.. If you haven't already, please report this to Michael.. I think they only have a few of these new units out in the wild at this point so they do need to get feedback in order to fix these issues.

It seems like their software just doesn't reliably take control of the factory bluetooth audio source with siri and when switching between functions.

Other than these minor issues, it's been great. I haven't found any other issues yet.
I sent an email to Michael. I'll let you know what he says.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #809
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
1 With bluetooth audio.
This is disappointing. I guess I'm literally swapping out the new unit for just the BT OEM Mic but not the AUX in..

Looks like I'll try and do a combox retrofit after all.... lol

Last edited by derbo; 12-27-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #810
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Quote:
1 With bluetooth audio.
This is disappointing. I guess I'm literally swapping out the new unit for just the BT OEM Mic but not the AUX in..

Looks like I'll try and do a combox retrofit after all.... lol
Yes, disappointing indeed. I guess I'll keep waiting and maybe version 3 will be perfect.
      12-28-2019, 04:29 AM   #811
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Hello all,

I've been looking at this thread for quite some time now and I must say I'm impressed by those who were willing to take the plunge and purchase this relatively unfinished product!
Everybody seems to be focussing on Apple Carplay at the moment, but is any of these units compatible with Android Auto? I've seen pictures posted here of some sort of 'main screen' on which one of the options seemed to be Android Auto, but discussion seems to mainly concern the iSolution

Yes I drive an E89, but from what I've read the internal hardware does not seem too different from E9X.
EDIT: internal hardware in terms of iDrive and the like, I do not pretend to own a car that can match an M3

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #812
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnygator View Post
Hello all,

I've been looking at this thread for quite some time now and I must say I'm impressed by those who were willing to take the plunge and purchase this relatively unfinished product!
Everybody seems to be focussing on Apple Carplay at the moment, but is any of these units compatible with Android Auto? I've seen pictures posted here of some sort of 'main screen' on which one of the options seemed to be Android Auto, but discussion seems to mainly concern the iSolution

Yes I drive an E89, but from what I've read the internal hardware does not seem too different from E9X.
EDIT: internal hardware in terms of iDrive and the like, I do not pretend to own a car that can match an M3

Kind regards
Since an E89 never had CIC, I'm not sure. The setup does says it is compatible with CCC and supports Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #813
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
Since an E89 never had CIC, I'm not sure. The setup does says it is compatible with CCC and supports Android Auto.
I can confirm the E89 has CIC, not CCC. Perhaps the E85/E86 had CCC but mine is the 'second gen Z4' if you will (2009 onwards). I can't really find any concrete info on these units supporting Android Auto apart from the name sometimes being included in the product title, only to never be mentioned again in the product description. I'm going to wait a tad bit longer, no point in shelling out north of 300 euros if I can't even use it with my phone!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #814
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnygator View Post
I can confirm the E89 has CIC, not CCC. Perhaps the E85/E86 had CCC but mine is the 'second gen Z4' if you will (2009 onwards). I can't really find any concrete info on these units supporting Android Auto apart from the name sometimes being included in the product title, only to never be mentioned again in the product description. I'm going to wait a tad bit longer, no point in shelling out north of 300 euros if I can't even use it with my phone!
Oh man, I feel like a fool! I was thinking E85/E86 when I was thinking E89...

I think it works but I would need to confirm with a friend.
Appreciate 0