BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #23
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Say "NO" to rod bearing replacement and stop scaring people.. Rev it all the way to redline and enjoy it god..
Tell that to anyone that found copper flakes in their oil and is shitting bricks. I know of someone who just found this out today. Hope it works out for him.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Maybe Track Trap will pay for the repairs of anyone who suffers rod bearing failure? I assume he stands behind his advice.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 01-13-2019 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #25
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Maybe Track Trap will pay for the repairs if anyone who suffers rod bearing failure? I assume he stands behind his advice.
I wish I knew how they treat their car. A lot of guys here using 5w30 , 5w40 , 0W40 , rev the shit out of it as soon as they start their car etc... I will never replace mine and enjoying every moment of it and no its not a garage queen.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #26
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Tell that to anyone that found copper flakes in their oil and is shitting bricks. I know of someone who just found this out today. Hope it works out for him.
Please tell them to use right oil. People started using all kinds of shit..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #27
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Tell that to hundreds of people who’s got their engine seized up by rod bearings.
I am talking to other Millions which never had a problem and have no clue what rod bearing is at the moment please call me back later..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #28
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep

Guys whoever has a time pick 100 bmw dealer call each one and ask them about rod bearing failure. I really wanna hear the stories. And talk to 2 different SA on each one.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 12:38 AM   #29
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe Track Trap will pay for the repairs if anyone who suffers rod bearing failure? I assume he stands behind his advice.
I wish I knew how they treat their car. A lot of guys here using 5w30 , 5w40 , 0W40 , rev the shit out of it as soon as they start their car etc... I will never replace mine and enjoying every moment of it and no its not a garage queen.
Did you see my bearing replacement thread? Decent detail of how I treat my car. Bearings still shot at 56k.
L4ces337.00
      01-13-2019, 02:01 AM   #30
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Please tell them to use right oil. People started using all kinds of shit..
What about all the people who have proven they baby the car until up to temp? What about all the people who followed proper maintenance procedure and still had their engines go? What do you have to say about that? Cause not everyone hops in and revs the shit outta their car while it's cold. Not everyone uses random oil weights too, I mean can you provide info on a car that blew its bearings using the viscosities you posted? Shouldn't be hard to considering there's a small registry of forum members who've posted about it.
      01-13-2019, 02:12 AM   #31
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
36k on those things... and you think they look great?

i'm no expert on rod bearings, but i theorize part of the problem comes from the bearings becoming smooth and no longer getting proper lubrication. i observed tiny oil ridges on my bearings (2011.5 with the tin/aluminum bearings). i suspect these tiny ridges carry oil. once these things get polished to the point of not carrying oil and making actual contact, they can only go so long before its done.
No where in my post I said they look great, I said I didn't think they look close in giving up the ghost.

I too trust Malek, he will be doing my bearings.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #32
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Track Trap is right that the vast majority of cars are driving fine on original rod bearings. But others are right that there have been many failures and the vast majority of bearing that have been preventatively replaced look excessively worn. And the failures and ugly bearings come even from owners who follow Track Traps warmup procedure and oil weight.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #33
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
What about all the people who have proven they baby the car until up to temp? What about all the people who followed proper maintenance procedure and still had their engines go? What do you have to say about that? Cause not everyone hops in and revs the shit outta their car while it's cold. Not everyone uses random oil weights too, I mean can you provide info on a car that blew its bearings using the viscosities you posted? Shouldn't be hard to considering there's a small registry of forum members who've posted about it.
Chance is way lower than you guys think..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #34
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Track Trap is right that the vast majority of cars are driving fine on original rod bearings. But others are right that there have been many failures and the vast majority of bearing that have been preventatively replaced look excessively worn. And the failures and ugly bearings come even from owners who follow Track Traps warmup procedure and oil weight.
Trust me I am not saying that there is no rod bearing failures but it really is very very small percentage.. And I hate the fact that everyone tells newbies or whoever comes to the forum recently with their new purchase and everyone is like ohhh shit change your TBA's and rod bearings immediately or you'll be screwed.
Appreciate 1
shimmy232348.50
      01-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #35
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Did you see my bearing replacement thread? Decent detail of how I treat my car. Bearings still shot at 56k.
I did sir I've been fallowing your most of the threads. I respect you and your posts. I saw bearings shot at 12K miles also and same look with 60K , same look at 110K miles marks goes on and on. There is wear on everyones bearings no matter what. Ones again percentage wise is very very small that engine will blow. All I can say is whoever drives their car to the limit, track, supercharged etc. maybe should do it just to be safe. Or everyone can go ahead and replace them every 40K - 50K miles mark. Their money their car..
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11584.50
      01-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #36
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Given the typical bearing condition coming out of S65 engines, and the data available thanks to some smart, dedicated members, I am not willing to take the risk.

Also, with the data available, it is clear that most S65 rod bearings have less than the industry standard clearance, even if the engine was lucky enough to be built on the loose end of the curve.

Properly designed hydrodynamic bearings do not wear. 8400 RPM is high, but not terrible for an over square engine. There are many 500ml per cylinder high RPM engines out there that do not spin rod bearings, or show bearing wear.

If a replacement S65 was worth $2500, then roll the dice. Sadly, the cost to replace an S65 with a used engine out of an unknown donor is getting close the value of a lower priced M3. Re-build is even more. Is it really worth taking the chance that you won the tolerance lottery?

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #37
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Don't dodge the questions, you clearly should have some sources for some of the questions
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      01-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #38
KhanhyeEast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black on Black

Quote:
A rod bearing replacement for me is just cheap insurance, slim chance our engine grenades because of it but I don't want the added stress every time I drive the car, takes the joy out of it.
Appreciate 4
      01-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #39
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Given the typical bearing condition coming out of S65 engines, and the data available thanks to some smart, dedicated members, I am not willing to take the risk.

Also, with the data available, it is clear that most S65 rod bearings have less than the industry standard clearance, even if the engine was lucky enough to be built on the loose end of the curve.

Properly designed hydrodynamic bearings do not wear. 8400 RPM is high, but not terrible for an over square engine. There are many 500ml per cylinder high RPM engines out there that do not spin rod bearings, or show bearing wear.

If a replacement S65 was worth $2500, then roll the dice. Sadly, the cost to replace an S65 with a used engine out of an unknown donor is getting close the value of a lower priced M3. Re-build is even more. Is it really worth taking the chance that you won the tolerance lottery?
Took the words out of my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:18 AM   #40
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
"built on the loose end of the curve" how does that work?
All 16 rod bearing shells in one engine hit the cosmic jackpot of being manufactured out of tolerance exactly the right amount to provide a "lucky" amount of looseness for all 8 rods? What are the odds of that?
Sure a handful of engines maybe...but its not going to have occurred in the thousands of engines running 100,000 150,000 and even >200,000 miles on original bearings.
The chances of that are zero.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #41
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

The tolerance stack theory seems to be more like a reverse lottery. A relatively small number win and suffer engine failure.

The part that concerns me is that the vast majority of bearings that come out for preventative maintenance replacement look excessively worn for their mileage.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11478.00
Scharbag2620.50
      01-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #42
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Hundreds of thousands of people buy aftermarket or third party warranties for their vehicles with the hope that IN CASE of a mechanical breakdown they wouldn't have to come out of pocket a tremendous amount of money. Almost all OEM's offer their own factory warranties as well. The reasons behind this is simple, cars will eventually break. Why not give yourself the piece of mind or "insurance" that you could eliminate the possibility of a massive expense? I agree that there is a ton of cars on original bearings well into their mileage life with no issues, yet. Hell, even for resale purposes its better knowing you could purchase a vehicle from someone who has invested into preventative maintenance. Look into early 2000's 911, IMS bearing failure hasn't happened to every one out there but is well documented, like rod bearings, and has proven to be a know preventative measure which can cost a few thousand and save a 10+ thousand dollar breakdown.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #43
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanhyeEast View Post
A rod bearing replacement for me is just cheap insurance, slim chance our engine grenades because of it but I don't want the added stress every time I drive the car, takes the joy out of it.
Good for you. I am right at 80K miles mark and daily drive to enjoy every moment. After car is warmed up I rev that engine and pass 8K every time i have a chance without thinking my original bearing will fail. I can't leave like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #44
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
Hundreds of thousands of people buy aftermarket or third party warranties for their vehicles with the hope that IN CASE of a mechanical breakdown they wouldn't have to come out of pocket a tremendous amount of money. Almost all OEM's offer their own factory warranties as well. The reasons behind this is simple, cars will eventually break. Why not give yourself the piece of mind or "insurance" that you could eliminate the possibility of a massive expense? I agree that there is a ton of cars on original bearings well into their mileage life with no issues, yet. Hell, even for resale purposes its better knowing you could purchase a vehicle from someone who has invested into preventative maintenance. Look into early 2000's 911, IMS bearing failure hasn't happened to every one out there but is well documented, like rod bearings, and has proven to be a know preventative measure which can cost a few thousand and save a 10+ thousand dollar breakdown.
Ratio between engine replacement due to RB failure and bearing changes at your shop?
Appreciate 0