BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CP

Need new rear tires for my 2012 E92 with 245 fronts

Bought my 2012 E92 Comp Pack 6MT 1 year ago and now I need new rear tires. The car came with Hankook V12 Evo tires front and rear. Fronts are 245's and the rears are 265's.

I plan on tracking the car in the next few months but it mostly is my daily. After researching I want to go with 275 PSS tires for the rear. I have a few questions...

1-Will the 245's Hankook's in the front work well with 275 PSS in the back? I read this might throw off the traction control or something like that.

2-Is it worth the extra money to upgrade the fronts to 255 PSS tires? This is already gonna cost some good money changing the rear tires so if I can keep the 245 Hankooks in the front that have a lot of life left that would be great.

3-Is there a better rear tire recommended for Daily/Track duty than PSS?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

you're headed in the right direction considering MPSS. I'm assuming you mean PS4. My guess is that you are a beginner driver/tracker. That being said, you probably won't push the car too hard and these will be fine for double duty.

that being said, absolutely swap the fronts. not only will your ration f/r be closer with 255/275, but your tread material/pattern will match. having had both V12s and PS4, there is very noticeable difference in the way they perform. whether you call it a performance thing or safety issue, if i were you, I would buy new fronts and rears. ditch those V12s.

edit: i'm not saying the V12s are garbage tires. they have their place in the market and are excellent, affordable daily tires. however, I will never buy another set. the other school of thought i have is to replace your rear with a V12... you may learn to control your car better, learn its capabilities before stepping into a tire with more grip like the PS4. again, this is assuming your are a beginner.
      01-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I run AD08r's and absolutely love them.. you can't go wrong either way.. you can do the rears only and run 245/275.. you'll have a lot of understeer which is preferable for your first track day anyway..
      01-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
you're headed in the right direction considering MPSS. I'm assuming you mean PS4. My guess is that you are a beginner driver/tracker. That being said, you probably won't push the car too hard and these will be fine for double duty.

that being said, absolutely swap the fronts. not only will your ration f/r be closer with 255/275, but your tread material/pattern will match. having had both V12s and PS4, there is very noticeable difference in the way they perform. whether you call it a performance thing or safety issue, if i were you, I would buy new fronts and rears. ditch those V12s.

edit: i'm not saying the V12s are garbage tires. they have their place in the market and are excellent, affordable daily tires. however, I will never buy another set. the other school of thought i have is to replace your rear with a V12... you may learn to control your car better, learn its capabilities before stepping into a tire with more grip like the PS4. again, this is assuming your are a beginner.
Appreciate the reply! The more I think about it the more I want to just rebuy the V12's for the rear and call it a day. For the last year they have been a great tire to me and I never thought they were holding me back. Yes I will be a track beginner so I feel it's better to wear out the cheaper V12's while I'm still learning than spend close to 1k on PS4's all around.
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      01-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well I decided to go with replacement Hankook V12 Evo2 Tires for the rear because going PS4S all around would have been over $1200 installed. I got the same exact spec as what I took off, 265/35/R19.

Just took the car out for it's 1st highway shakedown run and the car feels HORRIBLE. The car is completely unsettled and the 100% planted feel the car used to have is gone. Feels like it takes the rear tires longer to respond to driver input than the fronts. I haven't checked the tire pressures since having the rear tires installed but I'm not happy so far. Gonna match the tire pressures tomorrow and see of that helps.

Hopefully I can get the car to feel close to how it used to cause I wouldn't track the car in it's current condition, it's that bad.
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      01-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

It takes 100-200 miles to wear off the mold release that’s used in tire manufacturing. Also, you’re likely feeling tread squirm because you’ve gone from worn tires to tires with full tread depth. Grip will improve over the next ~200 miles plus you’ll get used to having tread squirm again over this time period.
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      01-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
It takes 100-200 miles to wear off the mold release that’s used in tire manufacturing. Also, you’re likely feeling tread squirm because you’ve gone from worn tires to tires with full tread depth. Grip will improve over the next ~200 miles plus you’ll get used to having tread squirm again over this time period.
Good to hear this is something that should get better. Figured tires have some kind of break in time I was just shocked how different the car felt. Matched all 4 corners to 38PSI and it feels a little better. Still don't like the tread squirm, hopefully I can get over that. I'm looking forward to the PS4S now than ever lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
L1FHR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8500RPM View Post
Well I decided to go with replacement Hankook V12 Evo2 Tires for the rear because going PS4S all around would have been over $1200 installed. I got the same exact spec as what I took off, 265/35/R19.

Just took the car out for it's 1st highway shakedown run and the car feels HORRIBLE. The car is completely unsettled and the 100% planted feel the car used to have is gone. Feels like it takes the rear tires longer to respond to driver input than the fronts. I haven't checked the tire pressures since having the rear tires installed but I'm not happy so far. Gonna match the tire pressures tomorrow and see of that helps.

Hopefully I can get the car to feel close to how it used to cause I wouldn't track the car in it's current condition, it's that bad.
I recently debating which tires should I get. Michelin PS4S vs Any other tires (pirelli, Brisgstone, Goodyear).
I came to realization that I spent money on E92 so i can enjoy the car, maximize its potentials and I want to enjoy every smile per gallon without comprise.
After talking to the tire person and the forum here I decided that $1200 on 4 tires is totally worth it.

4K miles later, i can say that PS4S combine with my E92 and how sticky it is, they are totally worth it.
I can go from standing still to 7th gear (freeway) with no grip problems at all, cornering apex into the freeway interchange with no slip, and since its currently rain in california, i have no problems with driving fast on the rain. The tire just feels grippy and it just feels solid to the road.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

PS4s have gotten very good reviews and we're likely a nice choice. I went with Michelin Super Sports since they were the closest thing to what came with the car. I don't know why anyone would hesitate about paying a little more for quality tires on an M. You get what you pay for and tires is now a place to go cheap...
Appreciate 1
shimmy232341.00
      01-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
PS4s have gotten very good reviews and we're likely a nice choice. I went with Michelin Super Sports since they were the closest thing to what came with the car. I don't know why anyone would hesitate about paying a little more for quality tires on an M. You get what you pay for and tires is now a place to go cheap...
I hear you man. With the savings of going with just replacing the rears with the Hankooks I bough BE bearings and bolts. Figured that was money better spent at this time.

Next tire change is Michelin's for sure
Appreciate 0