BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #67
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
UPDATE: After two years, the dreaded pinging returned this month on a 1500-mile trip, 90% cruising on I-95. I took the car to a respected local indy shop, where a tech drove it, heard the ping, and said it was normal. Reassured, I thrashed the car in the Blue Ridge Mtns for 2 hours. The pinging disappeared. I have no idea if, or if so why, steady cruising would cause a ping, and hard use would cure it.
Mine came back as well, I've decided that it's normal and just ignore it now
Appreciate 1
Megabrode335.00
      12-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #68
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
Mine came back as well, I've decided that it's normal and just ignore it now
I've had this noise on 3 out of 4 of my E9x M3s.

I noticed when I put in a couple gallons of E85 on fill up, the pinging stops. I just chalk it up to the S65 being extra sensitive to fuel octane since I can only get 91 here in CA.

I run AlpineMSS tunes on all my car, I don't recall the noise being there on the stock tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 07:02 AM   #69
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
UPDATE: After two years, the dreaded pinging returned this month on a 1500-mile trip, 90% cruising on I-95. I took the car to a respected local indy shop, where a tech drove it, heard the ping, and said it was normal. Reassured, I thrashed the car in the Blue Ridge Mtns for 2 hours. The pinging disappeared. I have no idea if, or if so why, steady cruising would cause a ping, and hard use would cure it.
Did you check the rubber seal again?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #70
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
I've had this noise on 3 out of 4 of my E9x M3s.

I noticed when I put in a couple gallons of E85 on fill up, the pinging stops. I just chalk it up to the S65 being extra sensitive to fuel octane since I can only get 91 here in CA.

I run AlpineMSS tunes on all my car, I don't recall the noise being there on the stock tune.
The noise only appears when on the tune for me as well. If I feel like its going to "lug" the engine, I just drop a gear and that should be fine.
      08-03-2021, 12:07 AM   #71
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

I had this as well with one brand of 91 octane, but it goes away with two other brands which have 93 and 94 octane.

EDIT: More specifically I had it for years and as soon as I added 93/94 octane gas, it was gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 12:31 AM   #72
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Hmmm totally a coincidence, but after my oil change and switching to 5W50, the pinging has gone away for now. Could be that the gas station I went to got proper 94 Octane as well though.

I'm still on a 2 year old tune I believe from Alex@AlpineMSS
      08-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #73
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Hmmm totally a coincidence, but after my oil change and switching to 5W50, the pinging has gone away for now. Could be that the gas station I went to got proper 94 Octane as well though.

I'm still on a 2 year old tune I believe from Alex@AlpineMSS
Older alpine tune pinged like max on my car. New code seems better.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #74
BayAreaE93
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]

Does this resemble the rattling you heard? I had this sound on the second most recent Alpine tune, and it seems less noticeable with the latest update. Not sure if tune related, as the car sat for a month, and the newest tune was applied right when I got home. I do have to tighten up my donut gaskets in the exhaust because I'm having a small exhaust leak, I guess the sound could be coming from there. It sounded like it's coming from underneath the car, not the front/engine area.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #75
waterpanda
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaE93 View Post

Does this resemble the rattling you heard? I had this sound on the second most recent Alpine tune, and it seems less noticeable with the latest update. Not sure if tune related, as the car sat for a month, and the newest tune was applied right when I got home. I do have to tighten up my donut gaskets in the exhaust because I'm having a small exhaust leak, I guess the sound could be coming from there. It sounded like it's coming from underneath the car, not the front/engine area.
My car makes this noise, but very faintly. The stock tune seems to make it go away for the most part, but not entirely. I'm chalking it up to S65 being S65 for my mental sake. I'm on the latest Alpine tune. My story so far:

* Buy 6MT M3 last Oct, the car comes with Alpine tune
* Notice pinging when lugging (high gears, 75%+ throttle @ low RPMS like < 2k)
* Put back stock tune, pinging goes away for the most part, but still there under same conditions as above, just very faint
* Load up newly updated tune (Stg 2) this past month, slightly more pinging than stock, but a significant improvement over the sound it made when I initially bought the car.

I fill up at BP - 93oct, in North Jersey.

Many have said S65 does not like being lugged and that it's one of a kind with all of the funny noises it makes.

Mods: Bimmerworld resonated x-pipe (custom quad, no cats), Akra slip-on, MS Stg 2 intake
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #76
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpanda View Post
Quote:

My car makes this noise, but very faintly. The stock tune seems to make it go away for the most part, but not entirely. I'm chalking it up to S65 being S65 for my mental sake. I'm on the latest Alpine tune. My story so far:

* Put back stock tune, pinging goes away for the most part, but still there under same conditions as above, just very faint
* Load up newly updated tune (Stg 2) this past month, slightly more pinging than stock, but a significant improvement over the sound it made when I initially bought the car.

Many have said S65 does not like being lugged and that it's one of a kind with all of the funny noises it makes.

Mods: Bimmerworld resonated x-pipe (custom quad, no cats), Akra slip-on, MS Stg 2 intake
My car makes pings like this, and has the BPM tune activated. I've been meaning to flash back to stock. Finding this thread is timely. Will report back

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:14 PM   #77
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
Quote:
Quote:

My car makes pings like this, and has the BPM tune activated. I've been meaning to flash back to stock. Finding this thread is timely. Will report back
Is it still there?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 12:43 AM   #78
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR.Y View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Is it still there?
Haven't flashed back yet. Got an e30 project car in the way 😹. Will post back when I do it

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 1
DOCTOR.Y102.50