BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #23
ModBargains III
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 135i, E46 M3, 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Hello friends,

As the title says-I'm very new to tracking. Like you, I believe that its a sacrilege not to track these cars. Enough said.

Things that I know thus far:
  • Need a racing helmet (SA 2005 or higher)
  • Stock brake pads aren't adequate for track day (Need advice on the best pads for the stock rotors)
  • Need a tech inspection report prior to tracking.

What do I need to do to attend a track day? How should I prepare myself and the car for track day?

I have no plans of getting a new brake kit. At most-I'll get aftermarket brake pads for the track but need advice on what to get.

That being said-considering the car is under warranty-will the dealership install a new set of brake pads assuming I fry them on the track? How about the brake fluid?

Would appreciate it if someone would detail the order of things for me. There are many websites on the basics of tracking however I wanted to hear from you all considering your are also fellow E9X owners.

Thank you!
I've had lots of experience with this on the track and I'm sure so many other people on this forum and this thread have as well, so I wanted to put in my two cents too just so you can get multiple perspectives.

If you're new to tracking, then I wouldn't spend TOO much on a helmet. There are great companies out there that make helmets, but most of all, what you should do is go and try a helmet on, don't just go buy one online. If you buy one online, you run the chance of getting a helmet that isn't really comfortable. I've always had good luck with Simpson helmets as they're comfortable for me, and on the other spectrum I felt like ARAI helmets didn't fit well on my head. With that said, I can't say it enough, make sure to TEST fit your helmet before buying!.

As for brake pads, yes you can always get an upgrade, but you might as well give your stock brake pads a shot while you're still new. Might as well at least wear them out until they're done, THEN upgrade. The best advise I've ever got and I have ever given to a new person on the track is go slow, and don't go straight on the track with a heavily modified car. Get a feel for the car while it's in it's stock form, THEN start modifying where you feel the car needs to improve ie, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, etc...

Tech inspections can usually happen at some mechanic shops. I would suggest calling around and asking them to do the inspection for you if possible. Or you might be able to get to your track day early and have someone inspect it there for you too.

What do you need for a track day? Bring lots of water regardless if it's hot or not, I would say at least a case just in case you need it for yourself or someone else needs it. I cannot tell you how many times I have forgotten and the day is basically terrible because of that. Make sure you have all your equipment necessary ie, your helmet, gloves if you have them, all the necessary paperwork, and cash! You never know when you'll need it at your track day just in case you want a quick lunch.

Once you do your first track day, then I would get pads as I suggested earlier. I can get you a set if need be, but by my suggestion, do the track day first.

Change the pads and the brake fluid to something like ATE Blue which is what I use on the track and for daily driving.

I hope that helps! PM me if you have any other questions. Sorry about the full 5 page essay there haha.
      10-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #24
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

^^ Thank you sir and all the good folks here for the advice. This is all being duly noted.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #25
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

All you need is a cool buzz and some tasty waves!!!
Appreciate 0