BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Newbie to tracking-Need advice!

Hello friends,

As the title says-I'm very new to tracking. Like you, I believe that its a sacrilege not to track these cars. Enough said.

Things that I know thus far:
  • Need a racing helmet (SA 2005 or higher)
  • Stock brake pads aren't adequate for track day (Need advice on the best pads for the stock rotors)
  • Need a tech inspection report prior to tracking.

What do I need to do to attend a track day? How should I prepare myself and the car for track day?

I have no plans of getting a new brake kit. At most-I'll get aftermarket brake pads for the track but need advice on what to get.

That being said-considering the car is under warranty-will the dealership install a new set of brake pads assuming I fry them on the track? How about the brake fluid?

Would appreciate it if someone would detail the order of things for me. There are many websites on the basics of tracking however I wanted to hear from you all considering your are also fellow E9X owners.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

• Performance Friction 06 or 01 Race Pads
  • Castrol RBF 600 or 660 Brake Fluid
  • Helmet of choice
  • Gloves of choice

Where are you located? The first thing I would do is jump on a website like www.motorsportreg.com and find out what is happening in my region. Sign up for an event at a track near you. Second, find a shop in your region that sells motorsport gear. Go try on your gear, helmet, gloves etc. Find the one that fits you best and buy it. Third, buy a set of race pads. From personal experience the PFC06 or PFC 01 are excellent applications for the E9X M3. Brake fluid, either RBF600 or RBF 660. After you source the bare essentials the next thing I would do is...

Go to your local dealer and talk to your SA. Tell them you are interested in taking your M3 to a driving school. Tell them you want the car to be safe yet prepared for the school and would need the following installed...

Find out if they are comfortable with you doing this, if not, find a dealer in your area that is.

The tech inspection can be performed at the dealership or a local speed shop you trust, no big issue there.

Have fun and don't get hooked-

Martin D
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
  • Performance Friction 06 or 01 Race Pads
  • Castrol RBF 600 or 660 Brake Fluid
  • Helmet of choice
  • Gloves of choice

Where are you located? The first thing I would do is jump on a website like www.motorsportreg.com and find out what is happening in my region. Sign up for an event at a track near you. Second, find a shop in your region that sells motorsport gear. Go try on your gear, helmet, gloves etc. Find the one that fits you best and buy it. Third, buy a set of race pads. From personal experience the PFC06 or PFC 01 are excellent applications for the E9X M3. Brake fluid, either RBF600 or RBF 660. After you source the bare essentials the next thing I would do is...

Go to your local dealer and talk to your SA. Tell them you are interested in taking your M3 to a driving school. Tell them you want the car to be safe yet prepared for the school and would need the following installed...

Find out if they are comfortable with you doing this, if not, find a dealer in your area that is.

The tech inspection can be performed at the dealership or a local speed shop you trust, no big issue there.

Have fun and don't get hooked-

Martin D
I'm located near Baltimore. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Mentally, this is a learning experience. Be open minded and willing to listen to your instructor. They *sometimes* are in the right seat for reason. The car is already prepared for this event (minus the listed items). What you need to do is focus on getting the driver prepared for this event

All I mean by this is no ego. Listen to the instructor and be safe.

If ANYONE in the world had a harder time with this it was me. It will be easy for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I'm located near Baltimore. Thank you!
VIR - Virginia International Raceway

www.trackdaze.com

Nov. 14/15th they have an event (great group to drive with)

Carolina Porsche Club Region event (also great group to run with)

Nov 19/20

I will be at both of those...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OG Racing in Sterling, VA is the source for your motorsport gear shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mentally, this is a learning experience. Be open minded and willing to listen to your instructor. They *sometimes* are in the right seat for reason. The car is already prepared for this event (minus the listed items). What you need to do is focus on getting the driver prepared for this event

All I mean by this is no ego. Listen to the instructor and be safe.

If ANYONE in the world had a harder time with this it was me. It will be easy for you.
Quote:
VIR - Virginia International Raceway

www.trackdaze.com

Nov. 14/15th they have an event (great group to drive with)

Carolina Porsche Club Region event (also great group to run with)

Nov 19/20

I will be at both of those...
Thank you Sir! I am big fan of your cars-hope to see you soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I will be out there. Either instructing or not. I will not be in the GTR though, I am buying a slow car
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

You might want the read this FAQ:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333653
      10-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
That link is super informative.

Looks like I need to get HPDE insurance as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
Blotman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

If you're new to tracking, then your stock brakes are more than adequate... by far. Get on the track and you'll realize that you will meet your own limitations before meeting the limits of your M3. It just means you should come back to the track more often

Your tech inspection will cover what you actually NEED to do to your car (which should be nothing). However, you might want to bring an extra bottle of oil, a jack, and tools (at least a tire pressure gauge and torque wrench). If you don't have any of these handy, I wouldn't sweat it too much as I doubt you'd actually need to use any of it your first time out. People on the paddock are typically friendly about sharing if you're in a bind though.

For yourself bring lots of water or at least a bottle, layers of clothing, sunscreen, and a foldout chair.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blotman View Post
If you're new to tracking, then your stock brakes are more than adequate... by far. Get on the track and you'll realize that you will meet your own limitations before meeting the limits of your M3. It just means you should come back to the track more often

Your tech inspection will cover what you actually NEED to do to your car (which should be nothing). However, you might want to bring an extra bottle of oil, a jack, and tools (at least a tire pressure gauge and torque wrench). If you don't have any of these handy, I wouldn't sweat it too much as I doubt you'd actually need to use any of it your first time out. People on the paddock are typically friendly about sharing if you're in a bind though.

For yourself bring lots of water or at least a bottle, layers of clothing, sunscreen, and a foldout chair.
I get all of the above except the layers of clothing part..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
If you're new to tracking, then your stock brakes are more than adequate... by far. Get on the track and you'll realize that you will meet your own limitations before meeting the limits of your M3. It just means you should come back to the track more often .
+1

I ran VIR in a stock M3 for two days on stock pads, no reason to change the brakes yet. I was impressed on how well the car performed stock at VIR. At sebring two laps in your toast. (FYI: I run Rcomps and pagid yellows with SRF fluid at Sebring)
      10-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

The first time out, I wouldn't worry about changing brake pads/fluid. Unless you are the most gifted/natural racer on the planet, the stock ones will be fine.

You should definitely get a torque wrench that can torque to 120 Nm or 88 ft-lbs, a 3 inch socket extension and a 17 mm socket. You'll want to get in the habit of torquing your lug bolts before EVERY session.
      10-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek View Post

You should definitely get a torque wrench that can torque to 120 Nm or 88 ft-lbs, a 3 inch socket extension and a 17 mm socket. You'll want to get in the habit of torquing your lug bolts before EVERY session.

I see guys torquing all the time, I have never had an issue with bolts (if properly torqued initially) coming loose. Maybe I'm lucky.
      10-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I see guys torquing all the time, I have never had an issue with bolts (if properly torqued initially) coming loose. Maybe I'm lucky.
I think it's dependent on the wheels for some reason. My track set are Volks and occasionally I'll find a bolt a little loose.

Better safe than sorry here.
      10-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Track First
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wouldn't change your brake fluid but definitely do a bleed. Saw someone nearly eat it on his first day due to boiled fluid (he hadn't done a bleed in 4 months).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #18
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I was very lucky that i decided to torque my lug bolts right before my second session last time i was at WGI. One of the front left bolts was broken. That bolt was ok before the first session. So i learned my lesson, and from now on i will torque lug bolts before every session not only to check if bolts are torqued properly, but also to check if they are broken or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
Blotman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I get all of the above except the layers of clothing part..
I meant to dress in layers. I was at Buttonwillow a couple weeks ago and it was 40°F in the morning, but warmed up to 80°F later in the day.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
I meant to dress in layers. I was at Buttonwillow a couple weeks ago and it was 40°F in the morning, but warmed up to 80°F later in the day.
O

every track day I've been to has been pretty hot
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
Doc V.
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 964 Turbo

http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/DrivingSch...hronicles.aspx
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Martin has given you very good advice, and should be the basic corner stone to follow if you get hooked on the track fever. I suspect that you will, but until then, your bone stock E 90 will be fine at a track like VIR for the very first time. It is the second, third, and on going that you will need to focus on. Then, Martin is spot on with what to begin with. I recommend, attend an event, have an open mind, and have fun. What follows afterwards will feed itself.
Good luck.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0