BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

06-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
New X3M

Would be nice to have more space. I use my e92 M3 as kind of a daily. Mostly just to surf.

Tested the new X3M yesterday. Heard it was fast. The only thing I remembered from the test drive was the uncomfortable seats (must be made for a very small person) and the massive amount of turbo lag. If u floor the car from a stop off idle it does 0-20mph in 4 seconds. Then at 20mph a huge surge of power. Same if you are cruising drop a gear and floor it and it needs a lot of time to spool. Would be very frustrating to own this car. But I liked the size. Looks on this car are debatable.

Maybe downpipes will fix the lag. Maybe a tune. I dunno but it was super annoying to be WOT and not going anywhere for a while. In today's world for a new $80k M car I was very disappointed.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 4
      06-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Had one as a loaner for a few days. Great to experience the new powerplant, however I was distracted by a few things. Namely the switch box of a center console and ZF transmission--I swear I was always doing the wrong thing i.e., too little throttle, or too much resulting in unwanted kick-downs. The exhaust burbles were fun, for a day
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

that just seems to be the way of the brand these days. impressive on paper, but ignores driving dynamics and attitude.
i had a loaner a few years back and we took a trip to the mountains. it was just terrible.
      06-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Well, people wanted more power so they got more power. Larger turbos mean more inertia. You notice it more on heavier cars, i presume the g80 will feel better

I don't think anything will help the lag

I already find the lag on the F80 CS to be annoying. Ugh I hate turbo cars
Appreciate 2
kyrix1st2361.50
      06-22-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Totally agreed on the turbo lag. I wrote a review of this vs other M cars I drove during an M town event. I'd like to drive an new M3/4 before final judgement, but if I was looking for a fun street vehicle from BMW, I think I'd go with a M340. Assuming I can deal with an automatic. On second thought, I don't think I'd buy a new BMW at all for a fun car once the M2c is no longer available.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Would be nice to have more space. I use my e92 M3 as kind of a daily. Mostly just to surf.

Tested the new X3M yesterday. Heard it was fast. The only thing I remembered from the test drive was the uncomfortable seats (must be made for a very small person) and the massive amount of turbo lag. If u floor the car from a stop off idle it does 0-20mph in 4 seconds. Then at 20mph a huge surge of power. Same if you are cruising drop a gear and floor it and it needs a lot of time to spool. Would be very frustrating to own this car. But I liked the size. Looks on this car are debatable.

Maybe downpipes will fix the lag. Maybe a tune. I dunno but it was super annoying to be WOT and not going anywhere for a while. In today's world for a new $80k M car I was very disappointed.
Try x3m40i with the b58 ?

it will save you money and shouldn't have so much lag
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Well, people wanted more power so they got more power. Larger turbos mean more inertia. You notice it more on heavier cars, i presume the g80 will feel better

I don't think anything will help the lag

I already find the lag on the F80 CS to be annoying. Ugh I hate turbo cars
I hated turbo cars also until I drove GTR and 911 turbo. GTR was 09 and 911 2010. I am in love with both. GTR was tuned while 911 stock. I liked 911 PDK way better. Only turbo car I'll replace my M with..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
I hated turbo cars also until I drove GTR and 911 turbo. GTR was 09 and 911 2010. I am in love with both. GTR was tuned while 911 stock. I liked 911 PDK way better. Only turbo car I'll replace my M with..
My dislike for Turbos is equally spread out to all of them. Even when the time comes that turbo lag is actually 0 due to electric spool I will still dislike them as they ruin the exhaust note and sound like crap, all of them.

I drove a buddies 880whp GT-R in Texas a few years back. Did nothing for me. I have no use for huge power figures in the States, where 100mph will get you into a courtroom. Growing up in Europe I definitely could have used that though...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

What did you think of the ride? Lots of criticism out there that it's overly harsh. I was thinking of and X3M to replace my wife's S6 that is coming off lease in October vs just buying it out. Roads in Southeast Michigan are probably some of the worst in the country.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The X3 M Sport Package is probably more compliant and would still go pretty good with a tune. The B58 engine is a step up from the N54 and N55.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      06-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #11
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Quote:

What did you think of the ride? Lots of criticism out there that it's overly harsh. I was thinking of and X3M to replace my wife's S6 that is coming off lease in October vs just buying it out. Roads in Southeast Michigan are probably some of the worst in the country.
I didn't notice the ride quality as the seat side bolsters are very narrow and forced my legs close together and so my legs were pinching my scrode so for me the entire test drive was uncomfortable. I'm not big 6 foot / 185 pounds so maybe for someone 5'5 120 pounds it would be perfect.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #12
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I ditched my m40i due to the uncomfortable seats. I liked the size for sure but am much more comfy in the new X5 for my daily. I checked out the X3M and yeah, couldn't get comfortable in it either. The m40i sounds better to me and I prefer the power delivery of the B58.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I ditched my m40i due to the uncomfortable seats. I liked the size for sure but am much more comfy in the new X5 for my daily. I checked out the X3M and yeah, couldn't get comfortable in it either. The m40i sounds better to me and I prefer the power delivery of the B58.
Yeah totally agree. We have a 2019 X5 with the 3.0 8AT and the seats are very comfortable and there is no lag - it just goes instantly. To me, the lag in the X3M is inexcusable.
a couple others
Appreciate 1
Denk1006.00
      06-30-2020, 07:22 AM   #14
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Ive been in the market for a new daily and saw the insane lease deals guys were getting on the X3M. I called around all the dealers in Atlanta and was surprised how easily I secured 13% off plus around $4k in incentives over the phone. Lease cost with tax and no cap down just around $700 a month.

Went to actually drive it and left completely unimpressed. I also found it very uncomfortable tho I am a giant.

I started looking a X5s and found them insanely comfortable just not economic in terms of depreciation and resale.

Im sure ill end up in another 4runner daily.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #15
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Ive been in the market for a new daily and saw the insane lease deals guys were getting on the X3M. I called around all the dealers in Atlanta and was surprised how easily I secured 13% off plus around $4k in incentives over the phone. Lease cost with tax and no cap down just around $700 a month.

Went to actually drive it and left completely unimpressed. I also found it very uncomfortable tho I am a giant.

I started looking a X5s and found them insanely comfortable just not economic in terms of depreciation and resale.

Im sure ill end up in another 4runner daily.
You sound like a candidate for a Grand Cherokee SRT or Trackhawk. It nicely straddles the experience between the BMW and Toyota, while also substantially out-towing both (if such a thing matters). The resale, at least on the SRT version, is also a good amount stronger than the X5. Ours has been nearly perfect for that last 1.5 yrs of ownership.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #16
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
You sound like a candidate for a Grand Cherokee SRT or Trackhawk. It nicely straddles the experience between the BMW and Toyota, while also substantially out-towing both (if such a thing matters). The resale, at least on the SRT version, is also a good amount stronger than the X5. Ours has been nearly perfect for that last 1.5 yrs of ownership.
Interesting. I was actually considering a 16-18 SRT but after reading the Jeep forums I got scared off.

Specifically
- water pump weakness. Fails at 50k like a 35i x5. Whats up with that?
- CF trim bubbling and peeling
- CF trim separating
- external body trim coming unglued (this happened on my dads Summit)
- 9mpg not that it should matter if youre buying in this segment

You have not experienced any of this?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #17
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. I was actually considering a 16-18 SRT but after reading the Jeep forums I got scared off.

Specifically
- water pump weakness. Fails at 50k like a 35i x5. Whats up with that?
- CF trim bubbling and peeling
- CF trim separating
- external body trim coming unglued (this happened on my dads Summit)
- 9mpg not that it should matter if youre buying in this segment

You have not experienced any of this?
I've only had the vehicle for 1.5 yrs and it's garaged (so heat/sun aren't as big of an issue). I mean, the only real issue you note is the water pump, which I read as well. Given the problems that many BMWs have (including those associated with the s65), a water pump really isn't a big deal should it fail. I've had no interior issues at all. The bubbling/peeling is for the material on the dashboard which is fancy vinyl or leather (depending on the trim).
The rumor I've heard is that FCA changed the glue in the '18+ GCs. I have no idea if it's true or not. I also have a sun shield I put on if I have to keep the car in direct sunlight for any length of time as a precautionary measure. I've also never heard of exterior trim falling off the outside of SRT or trackhawk models. Maybe it's happened to someone, it's just not something I hear about in any numbers.

As far as mileage is concerned, I've never gotten 9 mpg, even when towing the corrado. I'm usually between 13-15 mpg. I see a lot of d-bags with these who seem to think the throttle is an on-off switch. If you drive it reasonably, you won't see 9 mpg. But yeah, even 15mpg isn't exactly economical. It's not a vehicle for everyone, that's for sure. It's more exciting to drive than a 4Runner, but likely less reliable. It's not as nice of a vehicle as an X5, but it is a lot faster than whatever new X5 you're going to get for the price and from a reliability perspective, I'd put my money on the Jeep (given that the platform and engine have been around for a while). And interesting---if it matters to you---the unlike most other Jeep/Ram/Dodge products, the ZF 8-speed is made in Germany (the others with a similar transmission are made in the US).

I'm not at all saying any of the options you noted are bad or that you must buy the SRT, but I do think you should have a go in one before you settle back into a 4Runner (I'm a big fan of these FYI and if they could tow more, I'd probably own one).
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #18
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've only had the vehicle for 1.5 yrs and it's garaged (so heat/sun aren't as big of an issue). I mean, the only real issue you note is the water pump, which I read as well. Given the problems that many BMWs have (including those associated with the s65), a water pump really isn't a big deal should it fail. I've had no interior issues at all. The bubbling/peeling is for the material on the dashboard which is fancy vinyl or leather (depending on the trim).
The rumor I've heard is that FCA changed the glue in the '18+ GCs. I have no idea if it's true or not. I also have a sun shield I put on if I have to keep the car in direct sunlight for any length of time as a precautionary measure. I've also never heard of exterior trim falling off the outside of SRT or trackhawk models. Maybe it's happened to someone, it's just not something I hear about in any numbers.

As far as mileage is concerned, I've never gotten 9 mpg, even when towing the corrado. I'm usually between 13-15 mpg. I see a lot of d-bags with these who seem to think the throttle is an on-off switch. If you drive it reasonably, you won't see 9 mpg. But yeah, even 15mpg isn't exactly economical. It's not a vehicle for everyone, that's for sure. It's more exciting to drive than a 4Runner, but likely less reliable. It's not as nice of a vehicle as an X5, but it is a lot faster than whatever new X5 you're going to get for the price and from a reliability perspective, I'd put my money on the Jeep (given that the platform and engine have been around for a while). And interesting---if it matters to you---the unlike most other Jeep/Ram/Dodge products, the ZF 8-speed is made in Germany (the others with a similar transmission are made in the US).

I'm not at all saying any of the options you noted are bad or that you must buy the SRT, but I do think you should have a go in one before you settle back into a 4Runner (I'm a big fan of these FYI and if they could tow more, I'd probably own one).
Yeah I wish they offered the V8 in the 4runner still. Rumors of a new gen or a diesel have been around for years. Who knows if it will ever happen. Towing my boat is one of the reasons I was considering a Jeep.

I also considered F150s but they also don't come close to the reliability or cost of ownership of the Toyota.

I was spoiled by my 4th gen in terms of cost and im having trouble wrapping my head around fun car depreciation again. I bought the 4runner for $16,000, drove it for 6 years, and sold it for $11,000.
Appreciate 1
W///7494.00
      07-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #19
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Yeah I wish they offered the V8 in the 4runner still. Rumors of a new gen or a diesel have been around for years. Who knows if it will ever happen. Towing my boat is one of the reasons I was considering a Jeep.

I also considered F150s but they also don't come close to the reliability or cost of ownership of the Toyota.

I was spoiled by my 4th gen in terms of cost and im having trouble wrapping my head around fun car depreciation again. I bought the 4runner for $16,000, drove it for 6 years, and sold it for $11,000.
Not to derail, but our '17 GC Overland has been fantastic. Surely not as fun as the SRTs, but there's a lot of boxes that can get checked at a reasonable price. Tows great, rides great, does 4x4 great, hauls stroller great. Good value when bought used. I truly wanted an SRT, but I think I would have gotten mad the first time a Cheeto stained the suede. Cheaper and less to worry about = I'll go get a dedicated fun ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #20
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I test drove X3M a few months ago. It was fast but bland, namely due to numb gear changes and exhaust. Throttle response is noticeably slower than S55 M2/M4 with DCT.

However, the fact that I can feel rear axle lock up from e-diff in an SUV makes me chuckle and would be a perfect car for my fiancee and for my occasional grocery getting.
      07-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #21
14_deltaM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36m3 euro —>e92m3

Just another perspective for those looking for a comfortable, fast and capable SUV for hauling lots of stuff (be it kids, furniture, etc).

The latest generation of Audi Q7 (2017+) utilizes the chassis and running gear of the latest gen Cayenne (I think 2019+), and the current bentyaga. The 2020 versions use a faster (but less efficient) turbo 6 instead of the older but fast supercharged 6.

Hugely over engineered, luxurious as you could want, quiet as a Tesla and surprisingly fast (not x3M fast, but still 60mph in about 5). Also better built than most cars I’ve owned (which includes x5s and an s class).

With the dynamic handling package, it gets rear wheel steering and air suspension, and while never feeling like a sports car, doesn’t feel less agile or controlled than my old 328 wagon when driven hard.

It fits 7, and becomes what is essentially a cube van when all the seats are down. I’d highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #22
14_deltaM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36m3 euro —>e92m3

Quote:
Totally agreed on the turbo lag. I wrote a review of this vs other M cars I drove during an M town event. I'd like to drive an new M3/4 before final judgement, but if I was looking for a fun street vehicle from BMW, I think I'd go with a M340. Assuming I can deal with an automatic. On second thought, I don't think I'd buy a new BMW at all for a fun car once the M2c is no longer available.
Interestingly, look at the difference between 0-60 and 5-60 for the x3M. It really supports that the turbo lag you found is a big issue.

When these modern turbo high boost engines don’t utilize their LC features to build boost from a stop, their day to day performance is highly compromised due to the lag.
Appreciate 0