BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-29-2024, 01:39 PM   #23
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I might be able to help answer this question as I have both and work as IT as profession haha.

Protools does not have the capability of programming a module. It can code, reset defaults but beyond that, it cann't say reprogram like how WinFKP does.
Protools VO coding is simple. You edit the VO and it actually determines which models needs to recode.
Protools also has popular, standard, expert tabs for each module. Sticking to Popular/Standard usually gets most things unless its an oddball thing like coding anti-dazzle headlights on a F8x/G8x.

That said, my go-to is the Protools tablet cause its signficantly faster to plug in a BT dongle, open the app and tap a few items. Let's use removing TPMS and adding FTM as an example. It requires removing VO, recoding KOMBI, CIC, DSC and unplugging RDS module. In Protools, you can just edit the VO and let Protools figure out what needs to be done. If you do it on the laptop, you will need to open up NCSexpert into a Manipulation profile, edit the VOs, then select Kombi and CIC and DSC individually to default code, or add the changes manually to each module if you don't want to lost other coding per module.

ISTA has good diagnostics and test plans for errors. I didn't install ISTA/P because I don't have an ICOM-B and refuse to program anything on the MOST network without one.
ooh good use case on the TPMS stuff. so near term wants for me are to code out TPMS (wheels don't have 'em and I don't care), and then actually what the OP wants -- code out the seat airbag. Both doable through protool?

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 03:27 PM   #24
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
ooh good use case on the TPMS stuff. so near term wants for me are to code out TPMS (wheels don't have 'em and I don't care), and then actually what the OP wants -- code out the seat airbag. Both doable through protool?
Protools can do both of those. I've done it in both and I prefer to do it in Protools cause there are fewer places for human input error.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
kolosy1493.00
      01-29-2024, 06:08 PM   #25
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
If you have an android tablet, you can buy Protools app from their store.

I've been exclusively using the BT dongle and my android tablet I bought for $250. I bring it to trackdays as a quick and easy diagnostics tablet as well!

It's a pretty straightforward process to remove the items and it is in English. I believe in the Airbag module, there is a popular tab that shows the items to remove. They also have a facebook group where you can ask questions for additional help from the community. Or hit up the discord in my sig and I can always help you there or someone else in the chat that might know how to use ProTools can help you out.

You wont regret it!
derbo decided to to buy Protools based on your advice along w/ other thread contributors
I'm not a droid guy, yet IT adept; MacOS, iOS, Windows to a slightly lesser degree.

Devices available [pics below]:
  1. Android tablet - Running v9 with installed 'branded' diagnostic software from Autel/Otofix
  2. OBDLink CX BT adapter - Used with Bimmercode
  3. Cable - Mated to VIN [supplied w/ Alpine Tune]. Believe its a K+DCAN, but unsure
My Questions/Comments:
  • My preference is to interface Protools via BT, not cable...any concerns?
  • Plan to start with coding only; specifically for seat(s) related replacement.
  • Given items 1-3 above, any compatibility/risk issues running Protools?
Notable
  • Bimmergeeks - Site states their BT adapter only/exclusive/necessary for Protools use, no others...is that 'accurate', particularly since OBDLink CX is used for OBD coding?
All said...'good-to-go' and/or missing anything?

Recommendations welcomed!
Attached Images

Last edited by smokinjoe64; 01-29-2024 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 06:36 PM   #26
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
derbo decided to to buy Protools based on your advice along w/ other thread contributors
I'm not a droid guy, yet IT adept; MacOS, iOS, Windows to a slightly lesser degree.

1. Android tablet - Running v9 with installed 'branded' diagnostic software from Autel/Otofix
  3. Cable - Mated to VIN [supplied w/ Alpine Tune]. Believe its a K+DCAN, but unsure
My Questions/Comments:
Notable
  • Bimmergeeks - Site states their BT adapter only/exclusive/necessary for Protools use, no others...is that 'accurate', particularly since OBDLink CX is used for OBD coding?

I have all types of diagnostic dongles and have had no success, so yes, you will need the BimmerGeeks specific one.

Personally, I would not get the BT version as the cabled version can be used with your laptop to connect if you wish to diagnose your car further with ISTA+/INPA, etc. But that is a personal preference. BMW Tools is such powerful software that it can essentially help you diagnose every issue and guide you on the proper repairs. Even if you don't use it, having this option in your back pocket will come in handy one day.

Key notes:

- The tuning cable (alpine tune) cannot be used to code/flash.
- OBD2 dongles no sold from Bimmergeeks will not work with ProTools.
- BimmerGeeks wired cable will be a powerful tool for BMW diagnostic and coding compared to the BT cable.
- The cabled version will give you access to BMW Tools, providing you with a powerful aid for your ownership.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:15 PM   #27
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
I have all types of diagnostic dongles and have had no success, so yes, you will need the BimmerGeeks specific one.

Personally, I would not get the BT version as the cabled version can be used with your laptop to connect if you wish to diagnose your car further with ISTA+/INPA, etc. But that is a personal preference. BMW Tools is such powerful software that it can essentially help you diagnose every issue and guide you on the proper repairs. Even if you don't use it, having this option in your back pocket will come in handy one day.

Key notes:

- The tuning cable (alpine tune) cannot be used to code/flash.
- OBD2 dongles no sold from Bimmergeeks will not work with ProTools.
- BimmerGeeks wired cable will be a powerful tool for BMW diagnostic and coding compared to the BT cable.
- The cabled version will give you access to BMW Tools, providing you with a powerful aid for your ownership.
omgzirra_exe certainly helpful feedback.
More clarifications requested...

Cable method provides both diagnostic and coding options. Understand and point taken.
Do not have or wish to obtain/use ISTA+/INPA path...a no-go for me

Not clear on "BMW Tools" reference:
  • Same as Bimmergeek Protools or something different?
  • What are benefits "BMW Tools" provides for a 'non-expert level' user? Can definitely do it...jus wanna understand why?
So if using a Cable approach/interface stated...that actually work with a Mac capable of running Windows 10?
Successfully accomplished with cable tuning uploads via OBD II.

Unclear of best approach & tools needed for originally stated scope/intent...coding seat(s) replacement

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:32 PM   #28
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
omgzirra_exe certainly helpful feedback.
More clarifications requested...

Cable method provides both diagnostic and coding options. Understand and point taken.
Do not have or wish to obtain/use ISTA+/INPA path...a no-go for me

Not clear on "BMW Tools" reference:
  • Same as Bimmergeek Protools or something different?
  • What are benefits "BMW Tools" provides for a 'non-expert level' user? Can definitely do it...jus wanna understand why?
So if using a Cable approach/interface stated...that actually work with a Mac capable of running Windows 10?
Successfully accomplished with cable tuning uploads via OBD II.

Unclear of best approach & tools needed for originally stated scope/intent...coding seat(s) replacement
BMWtools is generally what we all use and is 'freeware' and i use that loosely for... reasons hard to come by.. but not hard to find the github for it

but it includes wide range of softwares:
  • Inpa 5.0.6
  • EDIABAS 7.3.0
  • Bluetooth Activation Tool 1.0.0
  • BMW Coding Tool 2.5.0
  • FindECU 1.1
  • NcsDummy 0.6.10
  • NcsExpert (English menus & NCS Dummy) 4.0.1
  • Tool32 4.0.3
  • WinKFP 5.3.1
  • ISTA+

Successfully accomplished with cable tuning uploads via OBD II.:

I personally have not done it on a mac running W10, but if you flashed your DME with it, then it should be no problem as well..

the reason why i push the cable is, that if you're going to get the protools stuff, you might as well make use of all the possible available software as well. but NOT NEEDED. although comes in handy..

you'll be fine with just the APP and the BT dongle end of the day.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 10:01 PM   #29
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:

My Questions/Comments:
Notable

Like omgzirra_exe said, The only BT dongle that works is the BG one. I recommend having an OBD cable extension as well as the dongle tends to fall apart when you pull it out of the OBD port. I've gone through 2 of them already, luckily I bought the lifetime warranty.

Alpine's yellow OBD dongle is not your typical K+DCAN cable and won't work with this app. You can however use the coding cable he provides which is a silver one. You will need an Android OTG USB adapter as most android tablets nowadays is USB-C only.

I'm not sure if your Autel Android will work. If you can access a google play store to grab it it will fundamentally work with Android version 9 but I am unsure how much access it will allow via BT etc. I imagine a sideloaded BG app might work too if your Android requires whitelisting.
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2024, 11:08 PM   #30
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Arrow

derbo & omgzirra_exe, many thanks for detailed feedback and advise!

My Objective - Reasonable/proper seat coding results...all else for me, is 'nice to have' and may be for another day.

Geez, simply way too overcomplicated; time required to hash out/resolve this-n-that, devices, hardware, compatibility, experimental risks etc
No time or inclination to 'chase' a potential solution.

That said, anyone know of a trusted resource in SoCal area [LA/Orange county] capable to do the job at a fair price?

Appreciate 1
      01-30-2024, 08:25 AM   #31
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:

My Objective - Reasonable/proper seat coding results...all else for me, is 'nice to have' and may be for another day.

Geez, simply way too overcomplicated; time required to hash out/resolve this-n-that, devices, hardware, compatibility, experimental risks etc

That said, anyone know of a trusted resource in SoCal area [LA/Orange county] capable to do the job at a fair price?
No problem!

EAS, BPM or Alpine can do all that. Alpine can do it remotely and...dun dun you end up with a silver coding cable too.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 10:12 AM   #32
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

if you're near Irvine i can come do it for you, just make sure you have everything done beforehand.
Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00
      01-30-2024, 12:15 PM   #33
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
if you're near Irvine i can come do it for you, just make sure you have everything done beforehand.
omgzirra_exe that sounds great.
In Fullerton, so close-by.
I'll PM you for discussion/coordination...

Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00