BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

BPM

01-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
jotrevza
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

fuse #16 - What does this feed??

Morning,

I could really use some help with my (new to me) M3. I'm experiencing a no-start condition with a recently purchased 08 E92 (6mt). This car has approx. 59K on the clock. Anyway, I was hoping someone could tell me what item(s) fuse #16 in the glove box supplies power to? I don't have access to good schematics. This particular 10 amp fuse keeps blowing immediately after replacement, and upon each attempt to start the car. It cranks with authority each time, but, just refuses to start.

The car was running terrific for about the first week that we owned it. No signs of any problems whatsoever. Then about a week later, we had made several stops that day. After third stop of the day the thing would start but, crap out immediately after. (within seconds) After each attempt it was clear that it's trying to fire off again as if spark is there.

We have 'fuel pump malfunction' showing on the nav. screen and other malfunctions showing as well. ('DSC malf.', warning lights on cluster, etc.) I tried to pull codes but all I can do with my particular reader is get generic OBD2 codes, not BMW specific codes. It basically showed all 8 cyl's misfiring, which, I would totally expect to see if it's not getting any fuel...

I would really appreciate some wisdom from an experienced owner/tech who might have direct knowledge with these 'black-box' wonders. The acronyms alone (applicable to this car) are enough to scare the average driver away. I don't know my EWS from my DME, or, my EKP from my C...ASS!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tracy
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotrevza View Post
Morning,

I could really use some help with my (new to me) M3. I'm experiencing a no-start condition with a recently purchased 08 E92 (6mt). This car has approx. 59K on the clock. Anyway, I was hoping someone could tell me what item(s) fuse #16 in the glove box supplies power to? I don't have access to good schematics. This particular 10 amp fuse keeps blowing immediately after replacement, and upon each attempt to start the car. It cranks with authority each time, but, just refuses to start.

The car was running terrific for about the first week that we owned it. No signs of any problems whatsoever. Then about a week later, we had made several stops that day. After third stop of the day the thing would start but, crap out immediately after. (within seconds) After each attempt it was clear that it's trying to fire off again as if spark is there.

We have 'fuel pump malfunction' showing on the nav. screen and other malfunctions showing as well. ('DSC malf.', warning lights on cluster, etc.) I tried to pull codes but all I can do with my particular reader is get generic OBD2 codes, not BMW specific codes. It basically showed all 8 cyl's misfiring, which, I would totally expect to see if it's not getting any fuel...

I would really appreciate some wisdom from an experienced owner/tech who might have direct knowledge with these 'black-box' wonders. The acronyms alone (applicable to this car) are enough to scare the average driver away. I don't know my EWS from my DME, or, my EKP from my C...ASS!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tracy
Fuse 16 powers the Engine Control module (also powers the Heating and HVAC), if memory serves.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
jotrevza
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Ron1n,

Thanx for the info. I just bought a DME relay after posting this, HOPING that this might help fix the problem. It didn't. I realize that it was a longshot. Figured if it's got a burnt/stuck contact in it, it may be overtasking the fuse at ignition/start sequence and blowing it. Also figured it might be contributing to the no fuel pump prime. I don't even want to think about the worst case scenario. That's a $2K fix for a new DME! If it's a wire-chasing situation, this could go on indefinitely...

Thanks again for the info.

Tracy
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Hey Ron1n,

Thanx for the info. I just bought a DME relay after posting this, HOPING that this might help fix the problem. It didn't. I realize that it was a longshot. Figured if it's got a burnt/stuck contact in it, it may be overtasking the fuse at ignition/start sequence and blowing it. Also figured it might be contributing to the no fuel pump prime. I don't even want to think about the worst case scenario. That's a $2K fix for a new DME! If it's a wire-chasing situation, this could go on indefinitely...

Thanks again for the info.

Tracy
All I can offer at this point is my best wishes on hunting down the issue. Personally, the $150 diagnostic fee or w/e at the dealership is worth it at this point, it sounds like. Also, if you didn't buy this car private party, I'd take it back to the dealership you bought it at and ask them WTF.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
jotrevza
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, the 'stealership' won't be working on this car. It's a long story so I won't bore you with it. Best case for me would probably be a qualified local import shop but, your point is well taken. Also, YES this was a private party sale. I couldn't believe how nice this car ran when it arrived a couple of weeks ago. Pulled like a freight train and never missed a beat. After approx. one great week of driving, it's dead as a doornail.

Ain't life grand?

Thanks for the words of encouragement,

Tracy
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
KillerE90M3
Rep
Drives: jerez black 08 e90 m3

Did you ever figure this out? Having the same problem

Quote:
Yeah, the 'stealership' won't be working on this car. It's a long story so I won't bore you with it. Best case for me would probably be a qualified local import shop but, your point is well taken. Also, YES this was a private party sale. I couldn't believe how nice this car ran when it arrived a couple of weeks ago. Pulled like a freight train and never missed a beat. After approx. one great week of driving, it's dead as a doornail.

Ain't life grand?

Tracy
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
Macyvaladeztruspeed
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

Ain't life grand?

Tracy

Did you ever find out what’s happening??? Cause I’m having similar problems
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
Macyvaladeztruspeed
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerE90M3 View Post
Did you ever figure this out? Having the same problem

Have you figure it out? Having same issues
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #9
Mimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 13'

Garage List
2013 e92 m3  [0.00]
Curious about this. Any update?

Idk anything about fuse but if you getting that error it's so many possibilities... hopefully the diagnose found the exact issue for you.
Appreciate 0