BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

resonated test pipes vs non-resonated: what did you get and why?

Its time to go to Stage 2, so I've been shopping for test pipes.

I remember that resonators have been used on E46 M3 exhausts to mitigate the raspy note, and I figured that pulling the cats out of the primary pipes might introduce rasp, so I started looking for resonated pipes. Rogue used to offer them but stopped, and I don't see anyone else who does. Is there a reason for this?

You guys who have heard both, could you please describe the difference in sound character between the two versions of pipes?
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:08 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Not much space in primary car location for resonators. If you are buying a complete X pipe, I would buy a resonated one. Mine has 4 resonators and with a Megan rear it is louder than I would like. If just deleting the primary cats on a stick pipe, the rear cats will muffle a bit. Sound will obviously vary considerably depending on the rear exhaust used. When I run my stock x-pipe with the Megan rear, the sound is much tamer.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Not much space in primary car location for resonators. If you are buying a complete X pipe, I would buy a resonated one. Mine has 4 resonators and with a Megan rear it is louder than I would like. If just deleting the primary cats on a stick pipe, the rear cats will muffle a bit. Sound will obviously vary considerably depending on the rear exhaust used. When I run my stock x-pipe with the Megan rear, the sound is much tamer.
I'm not going to go to an aftermarket x pipe. I picked up a spare stock section and I'll mod that with test pipes so I can switch back to stock if I want.

How much did you pay for the Megan and how do you like it? I currently have the Remus Race. It sounds spectacular in concrete canyons, going up/down ramps, in parking garages, etc, but I enjoy playing around with muffler changes so I always have an ear open to try other exhausts.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
blowbackpolicy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I've had my Megan for five years and 75k miles and it's still working great! I went with a dual resonated x-pipe but recently deleted the two resonators. I personally think it sounds much better without any resonators. I was worried due to what everyone says about rasp etc. but I really don't think it's bad at all. I think it sounds amazing.
ARC-8 Wheels - Stoptech Trophy BBK - Solid Subframe Bushings - Purple Diff Bushings - Topspeed X-pipe - Megan Catback - AFE Carbon Intake - RE Pullies - BPM Tune - GAS Monoballs - ECS Front Sway - GTS Wing - Autosolutions SSK - Vibratechnics Motor Mounts - Revshift Tranny Mounts - VAC Bearings - Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers - Dinan Camber Plates - Ultra Front Strut Bar - BSW Ghost Subs - Matek Diffuser
Appreciate 1
sparayno1182.50
      04-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowbackpolicy View Post
I've had my Megan for five years and 75k miles and it's still working great! I went with a dual resonated x-pipe but recently deleted the two resonators. I personally think it sounds much better without any resonators. I was worried due to what everyone says about rasp etc. but I really don't think it's bad at all. I think it sounds amazing.
I've read that the Megan exposes a cabin resonance at 3k, so does my Remus. I gotta wonder which one is quieter. I'll have to look around my area for someone who has the Megan to compare.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

I looked into this as well. Nobody seems to currently sell resonated test pipes. If your goal is to mitigate rasp, choose a rear section that doesn't respond poorly to having the main cats removed.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

I believe it was Macht Schnell who used to sell resonated test pipes. Resonators are a must on any exhaust set up imo.

Zero flow reduction, and rasp elimination.
      05-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #8
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
I believe it was Macht Schnell who used to sell resonated test pipes. Resonators are a must on any exhaust set up imo.

Zero flow reduction, and rasp elimination.
I never saw those at Macht, but I know Rogue Engineering sold them.
Appreciate 1
CPWINCH732.00
      05-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #9
pjk380
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

I looked at Rogue resonated test pipes a while back too. I am not sure why they stopped selling them. I was told its not a good idea to install resonators so close to the headers, too much heat and that resonators wont last. Maybe that's why Rogue stopped selling them..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #10
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I went with zero resonators cos I like a really high pitch sound, and I wanted it loud! Love the exhaust but it does rasp. I have a valved muffler so I can switch it to quiet mode and that gets rid of the rasp/volume for when I want it to be quiet.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #11
seamax319
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3

Topspeed carries a quad resonated x-pipe

https://topspeedauto.com/bmw-e92-e93...d-x-pipe-63mm/

Here's the review...
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1208810
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Just to simplify the ask... nobody currently sells a resonated test pipe that I am aware of.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #13
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

rogue might sell you the resonated version if you call and ask for them. that's what they told me a few months ago.
Appreciate 1
Freiheit492.00
      05-04-2021, 10:20 PM   #14
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
rogue might sell you the resonated version if you call and ask for them. that's what they told me a few months ago.
I'll try that, thanks.
Appreciate 0