BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

04-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #1
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Help me select a new battery

The battery in my M3 is original and it starts the car with zero issues. I drive the car once a week max, but sometimes its two or three weeks between drives. I recently saw the battery discharge alert on my display, so I guess at 10 years its time to replace this one.

I know higher CCA is better, but I see the batteries now have aH ratings. Does that refer to charging capability or supply capability? The stock battery is up in the 90aH range but I see people putting in 40aH and saying "no prob".

Before anyone says "use the search" I've been doing a lot of reading here over the past hour and saw references to Bosch, Voltphreaks and Antigravity and I'm sure there's many others. I took a look at what EAS offered and my eyes glazed over after a couple of minutes. Many options, 7 to be exact, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to get.

I'm looking for:

A battery that hooks up with no adapters needed and uses all the BMW hold down brackets. Lightweight is a plus, obviously, even though this car will never be on a track. A little bit of a diet never hurts. I just want the thing to behave like stock and integrate well into the electrical system. Something that can stand being parked for a few weeks as well as the stock 10 year old battery has, because I don't use a battery tender. Cheaper would be better, as I'm about to drop a bag of money on tires, alignment, motor mounts, control arms, a lift, an addition to my house, etc.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Antigravity is a good value for an all around product.
      04-23-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

It looks that way, but which one?

And did you crossdrill yours yet?
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
It looks that way, but which one?

And did you crossdrill yours yet?
I have voltphreaks for maximum lightness.

Just get what's listed on the eas website. Sign up for their email list. They have good holiday sales.
      04-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I have voltphreaks for maximum lightness.

Just get what's listed on the eas website. Sign up for their email list. They have good holiday sales.
I looked at the eas site and it has 7 options. I have no idea what to pick.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Pick the one with the largest capacity if you want to let it sit for a few weeks at a time.
      09-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #7
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...19459_726903_0

Direct replacement/fit for the OEM battery, no adapters or any modification needed to install it. I've had zero issues with it, readily available at auto zone (at least here in SD). It is not a lightweight battery, though.
Appreciate 0