BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #1
Turbmando
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Hotchkis Swaybars and Ohlins R&T

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience with Hotchkis front and rear swaybars paired with Ohlins R&T?

I just want to make sure the swaybars aren't too stiff for the "softish" Ohlins R&T coilovers.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
dfwashere
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
have the Ohlins + Hotchkis. only the front bar is installed so far and yea, im planning to do the rear now too. not too stiff imo. but everyone got their own preference. GL!
      03-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
Turbmando
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the response! Any other experiences?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Stiff bars and softer springs is a suspension setup that some people seek from the start. Keeps the ride smooth and wheels planted and then when you dip into a corner the bar helps control the roll. Stiff bars don't necessarily go with stiff springs, and soft bars don't necessarily go with soft springs. It all comes down to what you're trying to achieve.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
Turbmando
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! Rear subframe is coming down so just taking the opportunity to upgrade the bar.
Appreciate 1
Ajolives901.00
      03-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #6
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbmando View Post
Thanks! Rear subframe is coming down so just taking the opportunity to upgrade the bar.
Assuming you're doing solid rear subframe bushings? That was one of my most favorite mods on my last E90, paired with Hotchkis sway-bars the ride was incredibly flat and planted.

Out of curiosity, how do you like the Ohlins ride-quality wise?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Turbmando
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Quote:
Assuming you're doing solid rear subframe bushings? That was one of my most favorite mods on my last E90, paired with Hotchkis sway-bars the ride was incredibly flat and planted.

Yep, subframe and differential. While I live in the same state as Coulter at Mporium, I'm doing as much as I can.

Ride is fantastic. I have a pretty good sense for subjective ride, and they perform great!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #8
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, subframe and differential. While I live in the same state as Coulter at Mporium, I'm doing as much as I can.

Ride is fantastic. I have a pretty good sense for subjective ride, and they perform great!
Mporium is great—you're smart for doing that. And that's great to hear. My last car had KW Clubsports and the ride was rough. Hoping to not give up too much comfort going from EDC to Öhlins.

Enjoy the new mods!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Mporium is great—you're smart for doing that. And that's great to hear. My last car had KW Clubsports and the ride was rough. Hoping to not give up too much comfort going from EDC to Öhlins.

Enjoy the new mods!!
Just chiming in here as I had Ohlins Installed 1k miles ago on my E90 M3.

They are fantastic. More comfy than stock but in a different way. They inspire such confidence compared to the ZCP EDC and adjusting them takes about 5 mins if you don't have rear carpets installed.

I have run Tc Kline 2 ways, KWV3, BC Racing shit with external reservoirs, KWv1 and it goes without saying it blows all of those out of the water in terms of performance AND comfort.

I run mine at 20 clicks from full stiff. The way you adjust them is you put them at the stiffest setting and count the clicks backwards. So the lower the number the stiffer it is.

On the canyons and performance driving I have run 10 and 5 clicks and it feels incredible. I have a track day next month and will give 0-3 clicks a try.

I would not hesitate to get the Ohlins. I own a 991.2 GT3RS and I find them on par with the dampers on that car and that's saying a lot.
Biginboca3759.50
      03-10-2021, 05:53 PM   #10
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
Quote:

Enjoy the new mods!!
Just chiming in here as I had Ohlins Installed 1k miles ago on my E90 M3.

They are fantastic. More comfy than stock but in a different way. They inspire such confidence compared to the ZCP EDC and adjusting them takes about 5 mins if you don't have rear carpets installed.

I have run Tc Kline 2 ways, KWV3, BC Racing shit with external reservoirs, KWv1 and it goes without saying it blows all of those out of the water in terms of performance AND comfort.

I run mine at 20 clicks from full stiff. The way you adjust them is you put them at the stiffest setting and count the clicks backwards. So the lower the number the stiffer it is.

On the canyons and performance driving I have run 10 and 5 clicks and it feels incredible. I have a track day next month and will give 0-3 clicks a try.

I would not hesitate to get the Ohlins. I own a 991.2 GT3RS and I find them on par with the dampers on that car and that's saying a lot.
Really appreciate you chiming in, that's high praise.
Appreciate 1
CPWINCH732.00
      03-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #11
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No Problem. I am more obsessed with them day after day haha. Im sure you have a shop you go to already but I highly recommend Garage54 in Glendale. Owner has a 1 of 1 Dakar Yellow E90 M3 and is a guru when it comes to our cars. They can supply the Coilovers too as they are authorized Ohlin distributers
      03-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #12
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
Quote:
No Problem. I am more obsessed with them day after day haha. Im sure you have a shop you go to already but I highly recommend Garage54 in Glendale. Owner has a 1 of 1 Dakar Yellow E90 M3 and is a guru when it comes to our cars. They can supply the Coilovers too as they are authorized Ohlin distributers
I've driven past their shop several times! I've always wondered about them.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #13
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've driven past their shop several times! I've always wondered about them.
Best in the business for our cars without a doubt. I truly mean it. The amount of knowledge they have about our cars is bewildering. Been taking all my cars to Gary the owner for about 10 years