BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

03-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Steering wheel squeaks & iND paddle issues?

Hey guys,

Unsure where to post this but I have two questions. My steering wheel squeaks at me when I turn it any direction. It's a quick squeak and at the same spot every time. About 30 degrees in turn both ways it will quickly squeak at me. Any ideas on that this is? Never caused any issues but if I can fix it I will.

Second question, anyone have the iND Extended Billet shifter paddles? My downshift sometimes shifts 2 gears instead of one during WOT. It's super annoying and could cause problems at the track when I'm expecting a certain gear change and the car shifts two gears. I've cleaned the metal part where the small ball sits and made sure the ball was in the correct position when installing the paddles. I've contacted iND about it and they said they have never heard of this issue. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!
      03-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

take out your airbag and double check your connections. Make sure everything is tight and no wires are pinched.
Appreciate 1
yidgyi235.50
      03-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

I should also mention both issues happened at different times. My steering wheel squeaked even with stock paddles.
      03-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Just to clarify we do not produce any DCT paddles. My guess this is a set of Pedal haus?

https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=BMWP_DCT
      03-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Just to clarify we do not produce any DCT paddles. My guess this is a set of Pedal haus?

https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=BMWP_DCT
Correct. Bought them from you guys. I forgot they were made by pedal haus, sorry.
      05-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post
Hey guys,

Unsure where to post this but I have two questions. My steering wheel squeaks at me when I turn it any direction. It's a quick squeak and at the same spot every time. About 30 degrees in turn both ways it will quickly squeak at me. Any ideas on that this is? Never caused any issues but if I can fix it I will.

Second question, anyone have the iND Extended Billet shifter paddles? My downshift sometimes shifts 2 gears instead of one during WOT. It's super annoying and could cause problems at the track when I'm expecting a certain gear change and the car shifts two gears. I've cleaned the metal part where the small ball sits and made sure the ball was in the correct position when installing the paddles. I've contacted iND about it and they said they have never heard of this issue. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!
I recently had a M Performance v2 steering wheel installed and noticed squeaks on the steering wheel.....same as what you mentioned, i.e., turning more than 30 or so degrees either way will create some noise or rubbing sound.

I had assumed it was the new cabling that is run from the v2 steering wheel that was rubbing in the steering wheel stalk.......but my shop took it to the local BMW dealer and had them verify (or at least sign-off on) that the issue is due to a fault clock spring. Mind you, a new clock spring was installed for the v2 steering wheel.

I'm not sure if I buy this reason, but BMW has ordered a replacement clock spring under warranty and I am having it installed next week. Will let you know if the sound disappears afterwards.
Appreciate 0