BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

04-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #925
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatM3guy View Post
I ran the codes, and it was for a cam position sensor, bank A---anyone have a picture of which wire the cam position sensors are?
Cam position sensor is on top of each valve cover.
Item number 13 on the drawing. It would be on the A bank side of the car.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_4115
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #926
ThatM3guy
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Cam position sensor is on top of each valve cover.
Item number 13 on the drawing. It would be on the A bank side of the car.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_4115
thanks. It was that connector and it was visibly loose. I reconnected and problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #927
Gouki
Private
Rep
Drives: E92M3, E46M3, E63M6, SL55, 182

Thank you so much for the detailed how to guide, many years ago I had the throttle actuators fail on a European trip in my E63 M6, 2000 miles in limp home mode wasn't fun with the original goal 200mph!

So I decided to follow your guide and replace the throttle actuators with uprated items as a preventative maintenance measure on my E92 M3. One actuator was an original 2008, the other was a 2017. The 2008 wasn't in great shape missing teeth, the 2017 was already eroding.

After changing them I noticed that in non-sport mode the car had much better pick up. Since my car is one of the oldest, highest mileage variants many of the connectors were brittle but using a WD40 'moisturiser' certainly helped.

Thanks again, your guide did make me laugh a few times, ensuring the frustration was limited. The 1/4" flexible driver was a life saver, and also accessing the engine bay from different angles for the plenum removal.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:54 AM   #928
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Background:

Feedback on how I did with this DIY is welcomed. This is my first write-up and first time I've done a job with essentially no guide to follow. If you see anything that could be done better, let me know.

Good luck!
Thank you for this write up! It will definitely come in handy when I replace these things.

Today I got the P1628 code after I parked my car and accidentally hit the start button again. The car went into acc mode and I got tons of lights and limp mode. I turned the car all the way on and it was in limp mode while idling. I let the car sit for a few hours then checked the codes again and cleared the sole P1628 code. I cleared that code like 5 times in total then noticed redline was at 7k, no limp mode. I took the car for a spin and stopped at gas station to pick up a quart of oil to clear the low engine oil warning I got earlier today. Started the car back up and waited for the oil level to read then drove back home. I drove normally through the neighborhood, nothing crazy. Is this common? Is this a warning that I should just replace TBA1 since the car already went into limp mode? Finally, where is everyone getting their TBAs from these days? I see bimmerworld has them for $542, have the prices come down from the $800 days?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #929
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
Thank you for this write up! It will definitely come in handy when I replace these things.

Today I got the P1628 code after I parked my car and accidentally hit the start button again. The car went into acc mode and I got tons of lights and limp mode. I turned the car all the way on and it was in limp mode while idling. I let the car sit for a few hours then checked the codes again and cleared the sole P1628 code. I cleared that code like 5 times in total then noticed redline was at 7k, no limp mode. I took the car for a spin and stopped at gas station to pick up a quart of oil to clear the low engine oil warning I got earlier today. Started the car back up and waited for the oil level to read then drove back home. I drove normally through the neighborhood, nothing crazy. Is this common? Is this a warning that I should just replace TBA1 since the car already went into limp mode? Finally, where is everyone getting their TBAs from these days? I see bimmerworld has them for $542, have the prices come down from the $800 days?

Thanks!
i actually triggered limp mode by accidentally pressing my foot on the accelerator by accident before starting. never came back after a reset.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #930
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmygodzirra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post

Thanks!
i actually triggered limp mode by accidentally pressing my foot on the accelerator by accident before starting. never came back after a reset.
That's crazy how we've had seeming minor actions trigger limp mode. That's why I'm skeptical of the TBAs are ready to be replaced. I've been driving my car since I reset it that night and everything seems fine. I did a couple hard pulls with WOT to get on the freeway shifting around 8 krpm. Nothing was triggered. Ill just keep an eye on it for now I guess
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #931
111turbo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 e92 M3

So after 5+ hours I have successfully replaced my throttle actuator bank 1 and free from limp mode but now I have a check engine light with the following code 002764 Vanos valve outlet bank 1.

Can anyone show me an illustration on what I should be looking at and how to go about resolving this? Car seems to run fine but something does seem a bit off in terms of continued acceleration throughout the powerband like a slight hesitation at higher speed and shifting gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #932
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111turbo View Post
So after 5+ hours I have successfully replaced my throttle actuator bank 1 and free from limp mode but now I have a check engine light with the following code 002764 Vanos valve outlet bank 1.

Can anyone show me an illustration on what I should be looking at and how to go about resolving this? Car seems to run fine but something does seem a bit off in terms of continued acceleration throughout the powerband like a slight hesitation at higher speed and shifting gear.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...39#11367843117

bank 1 would be passenger side of car. Looks to be the front connector.

Last edited by TX; 06-29-2020 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #933
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
I believe my TA went bad, but the cheap code scanner I was using didn't show me any codes. I got the engine malfunction, reduced power, DBC and yadayada inactivated, limp mode. Do you guys replace both TA's at once and where do you order them from? Prefer something with upgraded internals and lifetime warranty, so far I've found this... https://www.mpowermotorsports.org/ . TIA!

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:55 PM   #934
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
I believe my TA went bad, but the cheap code scanner I was using didn't show me any codes. I got the engine malfunction, reduced power, DBC and yadayada inactivated, limp mode. Do you guys replace both TA's at once and where do you order them from? Prefer something with upgraded internals and lifetime warranty, so far I've found this... https://www.mpowermotorsports.org/ . TIA!
Replace them both. They will both have the same gear wear and the second one wont be far behind. You can buy from the guys you linked or buy new from fcpeuro with lifetime replacement warranty. It seems a lot of people go with the Mpower rebuild TAs that you already linked. Mpower will want your cores back.
You might want to inquire about their inventory before placing an order.
      07-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #935
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
I'm a firm believer of replacing one at a time. When I wrote this DIY years ago, my car was on original TAs. First one failed at maybe 61k miles, second one didn't fail until 82k miles or something like that. At the amount of miles I drive, that was a good 3 years afterwards too. Some people have made it over 100k miles on original TA's. It's not that difficult to replace them, so I don't see the point on dropping that much money on something that's not broken yet.

First time around, I bought the TA from dealership. Second time I got it from FCP and will just replace them as needed with their warranty. Not too familiar with these upgraded parts if I'm completely honest.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
tigermack466.00
      07-07-2020, 10:55 PM   #936
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'm a firm believer of replacing one at a time. When I wrote this DIY years ago, my car was on original TAs. First one failed at maybe 61k miles, second one didn't fail until 82k miles or something like that. At the amount of miles I drive, that was a good 3 years afterwards too. Some people have made it over 100k miles on original TA's. It's not that difficult to replace them, so I don't see the point on dropping that much money on something that's not broken yet.

First time around, I bought the TA from dealership. Second time I got it from FCP and will just replace them as needed with their warranty. Not too familiar with these upgraded parts if I'm completely honest.
I know for sure one of them were replaced, just wasn't sure if it was both when I bought the car in 2018, less than 7k miles since. I have to find the paperwork or scan codes with a better scanner to see any codes. My cheapo $20 scanner didn't pull any codes regarding that, only DTC inactivated.

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #937
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 e90 IB M3

So how easy is it to replace the Thermostat when doing the Throttle Actuator?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #938
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroBiz View Post
So how easy is it to replace the Thermostat when doing the Throttle Actuator?
Once the plenum is off, thermostat replacement is very straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #939
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
Do you happen to know part number for the thermostat?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #940
drrust
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you happen to know part number for the thermostat?
No, but you can look it up quickly on the system called the 'Internet'. I hear they have APs called search engines. Also there are places you can order parts and they show up at your door. Amazing what they come up with these days.

Also check the DIY section for the procedures for the thermostat replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:27 PM   #941
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, but you can look it up quickly on the system called the 'Internet'. I hear they have APs called search engines. Also there are places you can order parts and they show up at your door. Amazing what they come up with these days.

Also check the DIY section for the procedures for the thermostat replacement.
WOW! What is that? Thanks for nothing!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:59 AM   #942
drrust
Captain
Rep

Sorry, the truth hurts. But you could have looked up the information yourself in less than 5 minutes rather than waiting several hours to check on a response to your question.
Appreciate 1
ToddinTN504.00
      08-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #943
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, the truth hurts. But you could have looked up the information yourself in less than 5 minutes rather than waiting several hours to check on a response to your question.
Here is the thing, I did. I just wanted confirmation from someone who had knowledge and experience.
Appreciate 1
tigermack466.00
      08-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #944
drrust
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here is the thing, I did. I just wanted confirmation from someone who had knowledge and experience.
I apologize for my snide remarks. There are many threads on different temperature thermostats.

Motorrad 880090 Thermostat https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562627

For OEM part #s I refer to RealOEM or ECS or FCP Euro.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #945
JL947
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 - Melbourne Red

Error Codes After TA Swap

Just dropped in two actuators with new gears and the car no longer throws code for them. HOWEVER, it is still in limp mode. Carly shows codes 002b20 & 002b1F which are both for L & R TPS. Here's what is perplexing...according to Bimmerworld's TPS part page HERE, "A fault in the sensor, or bad data, may send the system into a fail safe mode and reduce power. " Which I assume is limp mode. But right below that paragraph it also says "TPS fault will not send the car into limp mode." That's quite contradicting to me and very confusing. Anyone have ideas of what is going on with my TPS?

Another very weird thing I discovered on my spare actuators was the circuit board drastically slowing down the actuator itself. Here's a video of the said issue. The left actuator is an old unit with replacement gears 30k ago and is also the one that was just in the car putting it into limp mode, while the right one is a newer unit with 15k. Also note that in the attached pictures, nothing is bent or in the way of the gears from slowing down the spin. Even with the circuit boards switched around, the oddity follows.

2016 Shelby GT350
2015 428i M Sport

Last edited by JL947; 08-11-2020 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #946
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL947 View Post

Another very weird thing I discovered on my spare actuators was the circuit board drastically slowing down the actuator itself. Here's a video of the said issue. The left actuator is an old unit with replacement gears 30k ago and is also the one that was just in the car putting it into limp mode, while the right one is a newer unit with 15k. Also note that in the attached pictures, nothing is bent or in the way of the gears from slowing down the spin. Even with the circuit boards switched around, the oddity follows.
That was strange, what has the PCB to do with the mechanics here?? It's a spring pulling the arm back or?
Appreciate 0