BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
Jiren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

5FE1 error

I'm getting the 5FE1 error code. I checked the EDCK65 file and it says the steering correction value is 107. I tried to clean the optic disc and also to use Tool32 to get rid of that correction value but it doesn't work. It says argument error and doesn't adjust the value.

Do I have to replace the SZL module?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
FrozenE92M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen White Edition E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiren View Post
I'm getting the 5FE1 error code. I checked the EDCK65 file and it says the steering correction value is 107. I tried to clean the optic disc and also to use Tool32 to get rid of that correction value but it doesn't work. It says argument error and doesn't adjust the value.

Do I have to replace the SZL module?
Hey what did you end up doing? I am also having trouble zeroing out that value with tool 32. I use argument ORT;0x5FE1 but also get the argument error.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
Jiren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenE92M3 View Post
Hey what did you end up doing? I am also having trouble zeroing out that value with tool 32. I use argument ORT;0x5FE1 but also get the argument error.
replaced the EDC module. It was faulty.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
I'm experiencing the 5FE1 error as well. Also tried tool32 and got the argument error. What I found with the argument error was that tool32 appears to be passing "ORT;0x5FE1" as a single value when the writing function is expecting two values (ORT and 0x5FE1). Separating them with a comma instead of semicolon works, but still didn't fix my issue with the code...
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
FrozenE92M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Quote:
I'm experiencing the 5FE1 error as well. Also tried tool32 and got the argument error. What I found with the argument error was that tool32 appears to be passing "ORT;0x5FE1" as a single value when the writing function is expecting two values (ORT and 0x5FE1). Separating them with a comma instead of semicolon works, but still didn't fix my issue with the code...
thanks for the heads up, let me try it out and report back to you

also on your end try achse;5FE1

ACHSE didn't work for me but it did for some others.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion! It unfortunately did not help, but was worth a shot

Just to close the loop on this problem, I ended up swapping the module. I got a used module from a Z4 from a local scrapper. I read out the original EDC module before removal, saved the .TRC file, then coded that to the new module once it was installed. Cleared the errors, and the Steering error went away, and the EDC button worked again!

The module was located in the right-rear, behind two layers of trunk liner. Was not a particularly fun job, but not the worst either.

Name:  IMG_20200512_221952.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  147.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
FrozenE92M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion! It unfortunately did not help, but was worth a shot

Just to close the loop on this problem, I ended up swapping the module. I got a used module from a Z4 from a local scrapper. I read out the original EDC module before removal, saved the .TRC file, then coded that to the new module once it was installed. Cleared the errors, and the Steering error went away, and the EDC button worked again!

The module was located in the right-rear, behind two layers of trunk liner. Was not a particularly fun job, but not the worst either.

Attachment 2309495
I think this is what I will need to do. Would you mind telling me how much the Z4 Module cost you? And also what year Z4? I had no idea we could use modules from a Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think this is what I will need to do. Would you mind telling me how much the Z4 Module cost you? And also what year Z4? I had no idea we could use modules from a Z4.
I bought it for $200. It's a little more than average on eBay, but the yard specializes in BMW parts, guaranteed the part was tested and working, and had a return policy, so it was worth it for me.

The part # was 37156788790, and was apparently also in the E89 Z4s (realoem is helpful for verifying these things). Again, it required coding because of the different chassis; I had a whole bunch of EDC errors when I first started the car after installing. Flashing the EDC trace file back on it via NCSExpert did the trick.

It may be worth a test to read out your EDC module with NCSExpert and then re-flash it. Some of the hardware I work with can get their flash memory in a funky state, and a re-flash will fix it. I didn't think about this before swapping the module, unfortunately.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
FrozenE92M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I bought it for $200. It's a little more than average on eBay, but the yard specializes in BMW parts, guaranteed the part was tested and working, and had a return policy, so it was worth it for me.

The part # was 37156788790, and was apparently also in the E89 Z4s (realoem is helpful for verifying these things). Again, it required coding because of the different chassis; I had a whole bunch of EDC errors when I first started the car after installing. Flashing the EDC trace file back on it via NCSExpert did the trick.

It may be worth a test to read out your EDC module with NCSExpert and then re-flash it. Some of the hardware I work with can get their flash memory in a funky state, and a re-flash will fix it. I didn't think about this before swapping the module, unfortunately.

Hope that helps!
Hey I'm really sorry for this but if you have the time could you please give me a rundown on how to reflash my EDC module, I'm new to BMW coding and such so I have just been experimenting with tool32. if it's no trouble could you PM me the procedure on how to reflash the module? just before I commit to buying one.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:15 PM   #10
lastV10
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

5FE1 Fix

I suspect there is more than one way to skin this cat, but here's what finally worked for me.... load the SZL.prg control file. Run job "abgleich_lenkwinkelsensor_ruecksetzen" (adjustment_steering angle sensor_reset"). That's it. You may or may not have to recalibrate your steering wheel angle with ISTA/INPA afterwards. Seems like the first time I ran the job, I was ok. When I did it a second time to verify, I had to recalibrate. STRANGELY - the job "lws_offset_korrektur_schreiben" ("steering angle sensor_offset_correction value_write") seems like the obvious job to run. But I could never get the argument of "zero" to run without error, no matter what format I tried for the value of zero. If someone else knows, I'd be glad to hear.
Appreciate 0