BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Help! TPMS reset.

need some help. searched everywhere i could think of and came up empty. if there is a thread already, please just post the link and i'll take it from there.

the apex wheels on my car didn't have tpms installed. i got sick of having the light on the dash so i called discount tire today and asked what costs and all that were for an install if i brought some in. they said they had some in stock for my car. they use the huf brand. this is what i was planning on ordering anyways so i just went with them.

anyways, i can't get the tpms reading to reset after install. i've tried every youtube video, forum diy and each method i could come across.

my car is an 09 with idrive and it has the updates for it as well. no matter what variation of the reset process i follow, the "reset" option under vehicle info is always light grey and cannot be selected.

so here are my questions:

-i know there are two different versions of the huf tpms, one for the early models and one for the later models, is it possible that because the idrive on my car is the most recent that i would need the tpms for the newer models? i assume the sensor installed was for the early model e9x m3's since mine is a early 2009.

-is there any way to reset the tpms through bavtech?

-since they are aftermarket wheels, would i have to get specific sensors from apex? i didn't see any other than the ones i already have on their site, not to mention that it seems kind of redundant anyways but i'm at the point where i'm considering all angles of approach.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
E90Dave
Daily Dose of Reality
Rep
Drives: 2008 loaded DCT M3 MINT

Wrong sensors
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Dave
Wrong sensors
So I need the sensors for the late 2009 and newer models?
      09-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

unfortunately, it looks like wrong sensors.
warning lights on with your apex wheels means the TPMS system on your car is active/functioning.
like you said, it shouldn't be so complicated resetting tpms. you should be able to press reset button once, and driving 2~3 blocks will just sense the new tpms.

I had the exact same case. I have an 09, bought 359M wheels from 2012 car with 2012 tpms, and like you, I was sick of the warning sign on the dash, so I recently bought 2009 tpms from ecs tuning.

Installed new tpms, and after resetting using the I drive, the warning sign was gone and tpms reads "active" in i-drive screen in less than a mile of driving. It should automatically sense and the warning sign should be gone immediately.

08, early 09, late 09, 10, 2011+ this TPMS area gets a bit gray (I know, I did tons of search too) because a lot of website have wrong info, and it confuses us even more

I would ask discount tire for a refund (because clearly it is a wrong tpms), or have them get the right tpms for you. Or just go to ecs tuning or other reputable bmw web store and order a 2009 tpms (I still don't get why some divide early 2009 and late 2009 because IN THEORY, 2009 model year has 1 tpms with 1 frequency, there's NO early and late 09 TPMS, period.

For your reference/correct part number or the 09, this is the TPMS I purchased that is working fine with my 09.
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2763262/
Also, my car is an "early 09 build" car as well, if that helps (factory built Nov, 08)

Last edited by jaehshim; 09-07-2016 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim
unfortunately, it is clearly due to wrong sensors.

I have the exact same case. I have an 09, bought 359M wheels from 2012 car with 2012 tpms, and like you, I was sick of the warning sign on the dash, so I recently bought 2009 tpms from ecs tuning.

Installed new tpms, and after resetting using the I drive, the warning sign was gone and tpms was "active" in i-drive screen in less than a mile of driving. It should automatically sense it and the warning sign should be gone immediately.

08, early 09, late 09, 10, 2011+ this TPMS area gets a bit gray (I know, I did tons of search too) because a lot of website have wrong info.

I would ask discount tire for a refund (because clearly it is a wrong tpms), just go to ecs tuning or other reputable bmw web store and order a 2009 tpms (I still don't get why some divide early 2009 and late 2009, it confuses us even more because IN THEORY, 2009 model year has 1 tpms with 1 frequency, there's NO early and late 09 TPMS, period.

For your reference, this is the TPMS I used that is working fine with my 09.
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2763262/
Also, my car is an "early 09 build" car as well, if that helps (factory built Nov, 08)
Thanks. I planned on going back tomorrow anyways but I'll doublecheck which ones they installed. I'm fairly confident that these may be the ones they put on since these were also the ones I planned on ordering from ecs myself.
      09-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I'll echo others. You have the wrong sensor. Get the older gen sensors. Your TPMS module has no bearing on your iDrive version.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer
I'll echo others. You have the wrong sensor. Get the older gen sensors. Your TPMS module has no bearing on your iDrive version.
Thank you. I'm gonna get it checked out today after work hopefully. Priority #1 is getting my money back haha.

But thanks to each of you for clarifying. I searched and searched and searched and for whatever reason came out empty so hopefully this thread might have some use for others in the future.
      09-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #8
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

If you go on APEX's website, they have the part numbers and clarification of the different model years and what TPMS sensor they require.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

discount tire was great when i came back in. after trying again and seeing for themselves that the system would not reset, the manager said he'd be happy to install the new sensors if i wanted to order them and bring them in. not only that, he also refunded me for the wrong sensors right then and there so i could use the money for the new sensors and said he'd just take them out when i brought the new ones in. labor will be free as well. really pays off to develop a relationship with tire shops. for reasons like this and another bonus is that i've never had an issue with them scratching or damaging any wheels i've ever brought in

so i'm going to call ecs and apex just to confirm one last time (paranoid at this point) that the correct sensors are ordered and hopefully have this headache all taken care of.

thanks again to everyone above who helped out
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

called apex first and spoke with Ryan. didn't need to bother calling ecs or anyone else for that matter. Ryan explained everything to me thoroughly and made sure i understood what i needed to. ordered the same part from the ecs link above, except from apex.
Appreciate 1
jaehshim489.00
      09-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

so....even with the confirmed correct tpms, the option to reset the system can't be selected. ryan at apex has helped a lot with this process and is going to contact huf directly to see if they can think of anything that could solve this. he's also recommended a shop somewhat local to me that may be able to help. so i'm waiting to hear from him today to figure out what's next.

really wanting to avoid the dealer so i'm hoping something is figured out. as of now, seems like it may be something idrive related but literally every other function of the system works perfectly so i don't know.
Appreciate 1
Datka450.00
      09-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #12
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

This is weird. Is it possible you got wrong sensors again?
      09-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #13
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
This is weird. Is it possible you got wrong sensors again?
i wish it were that easy at this point haha.

the original ones installed were the correct ones. regardless, had them swapped out with the confirmed correct part number, which ryan at apex helped verifying for me over the phone so i ordered directly from them. still wouldn't reset.

tried literally every reset process i came across on the forums and online when it didn't take the first time.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

Hold down the button for a few seconds when you reset it.
Also, set tire pressure at 38 and drive a few days. It takes a few days sometimes to reset by itself.
If that doesn't work, I would just take it to BMW.
      09-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
Hold down the button for a few seconds when you reset it.
Also, set tire pressure at 38 and drive a few days. It takes a few days sometimes to reset by itself.
If that doesn't work, I would just take it to BMW.
yep, tried these already.

it's not a big deal, i can tell when a tire's running low or flat on my own easily. just really wanted to clear the dash light for it but not about to get charged out the ass by a dealer for it. hell, the 250 for the sensors plus install labor alone is absurd to begin with, especially for a mediocre tpms system.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #16
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Did you get OEM sensors or aftermarket cloneable ones? If you got aftermarket most likely you need to program them.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #17
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Did you get OEM sensors or aftermarket cloneable ones? If you got aftermarket most likely you need to program them.
huf oem
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #18
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by furquiza View Post
huf oem
If you go to any tire shop, they can use there TPMS tool if the on-car reset doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #19
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
If you go to any tire shop, they can use there TPMS tool if the on-car reset doesn't work.
haha went to discount tire and they tried that after installing each set, still nada.

can't make this up when i say i've tried literally everything i came across on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

quick update and for the sake of anyone else who may encounter this in the future...

ryan at apex reached back out to me after communicating with huf and they basically came to the conclusion that idrive will basically lock you out of resetting your tpms [B]IF[B]the warning comes on and the car is continued to be driven for either 30/60/90 days without addressing it. that being the case, supposedly only a dealer or independent shop will be able to reset the issue via coding.

in my case, this would make sense as the car came without the sensors installed when the wheels were refinished before me buying it and i've been driving it for over 90 days like that, assuming i could just throw the sensors in and sort the issue when i had the time and felt like putting money toward it.

i'd like to reiterate...completely mediocre system. the logic behind locking you out of resetting the system is beyond idiotic. i had the sensors taken off when the system wouldn't reset intending to return them, but if anyone knows whether or not bavtech has the ability to do anything like this regarding the tpms, let me know. i'll at least know whether or not i can take care of this myself when the time comes around or if i'll have to go to the dealer.

appreciate all the previous help
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #21
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by furquiza View Post
quick update and for the sake of anyone else who may encounter this in the future...

ryan at apex reached back out to me after communicating with huf and they basically came to the conclusion that idrive will basically lock you out of resetting your tpms [B]IF[B]the warning comes on and the car is continued to be driven for either 30/60/90 days without addressing it. that being the case, supposedly only a dealer or independent shop will be able to reset the issue via coding.

in my case, this would make sense as the car came without the sensors installed when the wheels were refinished before me buying it and i've been driving it for over 90 days like that, assuming i could just throw the sensors in and sort the issue when i had the time and felt like putting money toward it.

i'd like to reiterate...completely mediocre system. the logic behind locking you out of resetting the system is beyond idiotic. i had the sensors taken off when the system wouldn't reset intending to return them, but if anyone knows whether or not bavtech has the ability to do anything like this regarding the tpms, let me know. i'll at least know whether or not i can take care of this myself when the time comes around or if i'll have to go to the dealer.

appreciate all the previous help
Wow glad it got solved but I don't know if that is all true though.

Purchased 2012 TPMS equipped wheel set in December 2014, Installed into my 09 M3 in January of 2015, and drove until May of 2016 when I changed to proper 09 TPMS => basically 17 months of warning sign every time driving

I obviously had the tpms warning sign the moment I installed 2012 wheel set, but when I installed 09 TPMS and pushed the reset button, It took me less than 2 blocks of driving to get the warning sign out and tpms is "active" since then.

also have friends who own 08~12 various models who have tpms warning lights while on winter tires during winter seasons (3~4 months) and once they swap the tires with proper TPMS back, it immediately returns back "normal" without warning sign.

Last edited by jaehshim; 09-23-2016 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #22
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Wow glad it got solved but I don't know if that is all true though.

Purchased 2012 TPMS equipped wheel set in December 2014, Installed into my 09 M3 in January of 2015, and drove until May of 2016 (17 months to be exact) when I changed to proper 09 TPMS.
I obviously had the tpms warning sign the moment I installed 2012 wheel set, but when I installed 09 TPMS and pushed the reset button, It took me less than 2 blocks of driving to get the warning sign out and tpms is "active" since then.

Also have friends who own 08~12 various models who have tpms warning lights while on winter tires during winter seaons (3~4 months) and once they swap the tires with proper TPMS back, it immediately returns back "normal" without warning sign.

after this possibility was brought up to me, i did some searching around and apparently it has been an issue for the e9x platform for others. going to give the dealership a call after work and ask to talk to a tech to see what they have to say about it.

that's why i think it just seems counter-intuitive though. locking you out of anything on the system for not fixing it right away is just messed up. i assumed there were others with winter sets who didn't use tpms and had no issues. regardless....incredibly irritating.
Appreciate 0