BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #23
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
OP, do you have any clues as to the previous service history for this car? Perhaps a carfax on it to at least see when major service stuff has been done so you can defer stuff at least until you can recover financially for a bit?

I'd hate to see you get completely soured on the ownership experience trying to make up for the deferred maintenance sins of others.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 03:00 PM   #24
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
OP, do you have any clues as to the previous service history for this car? Perhaps a carfax on it to at least see when major service stuff has been done so you can defer stuff at least until you can recover financially for a bit?

I'd hate to see you get completely soured on the ownership experience trying to make up for the deferred maintenance sins of others.
The car fax isn't super helpful, it mostly lists oil changes, thankfully those have been regular. There are a few instances of generic "recommended maintenance" instances completed

AH, I did find something new though, looks like the thermostat was done in 2018, so that should be good.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #25
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmassey3 View Post
Quote:

The car fax isn't super helpful, it mostly lists oil changes, thankfully those have been regular. There are a few instances of generic "recommended maintenance" instances completed
Well at least you have a modicum of peace of mind that it has had regular oil changes. I detest the factory service interval for oil but something is better than nothing.

At least stuff like bearings and rotors aren't brutal to DIY. Lots of good resources online and perhaps an opportunity to make friends through a local BMWCCA chapter? I saved myself loads of money back in the day wrenching on my own car with friends from my local area.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #26
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well at least you have a modicum of peace of mind that it has had regular oil changes. I detest the factory service interval for oil but something is better than nothing.

At least stuff like bearings and rotors aren't brutal to DIY. Lots of good resources online and perhaps an opportunity to make friends through a local BMWCCA chapter? I saved myself loads of money back in the day wrenching on my own car with friends from my local area.
Yeah, actually the local chapter recommended this indy shop to me. Thankfully I've got some car nut friends at work and they've got some jacks and a garage I'm going to try to make use of.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #27
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Don't let what you see here totally freak you out. You did basically all the maintenance items that unscrupulous, cheap, or unaware owners put off and eventually park the car. Quite often on forums only the walking wounded are the ones participating. The owners with trouble free ownership are out enjoying their rides.
Appreciate 2
jp1984506.00
qskid2810.50
      01-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #28
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, actually the local chapter recommended this indy shop to me. Thankfully I've got some car nut friends at work and they've got some jacks and a garage I'm going to try to make use of.
Hell yeah! That's the spirit!
Appreciate 1
Cmassey3415.00
      01-27-2022, 03:54 PM   #29
SCREAM3R
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Definitely use some of your friends knowledge. Between them, the forum and youtube you will be able to tackle pretty much everything that is left. I can understand the discouragement but you have done most of the big items and if you can start doing most of it yourself you will feel more fulfilled and it will be a lot easier on your bank account.
Appreciate 1
Cmassey3415.00
      01-27-2022, 09:19 PM   #30
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

How did your rod bearings look? I'm at 110k and am planning to do mine soon.

I've had the car for over 6 years and 50k miles, and I knew getting into it I'd need to do my own maintenance in order to keep from going broke.

Things I've needed or that have helped:
Two jacks; one low profile, one compact
Jack stands, 2 but the more the merrier. I have 6.
Jack pad adapters, metal; wheel chucks
Metric sockets and wrenches
Torx bit sockets
Extensions, articulating socket wrenches, breaker bar.

Most of this stuff can be accumulated as you tackle projects, and harbor freight is your friend if you have one close. I've actually had to return snap ring pliers that I only needed for the cartridge filter on the dct trans. They had no issue with that.

Things I've done:
Exhaust, suspension, dct fluid/filter, motor mounts, oil changes, water pump/fluid/thermostat, pressure sensors, throttle body actuators, spark plugs.

I've also broken things, like the fuel tank breather valve hose, and had a few wiring harness tabs break from old age and impatience.

Overall I'm very happy with my ownership, and it feels good to get things done when it's your own car.
Appreciate 3
Cmassey3415.00
wyatth3548.50
virosky82.00
      01-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #31
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got the car back today and for the first time, I wasn't happy when the engine started up. I don't want to make a rash decision, but it may be time. Had to take out a loan to cover this one.

It still needs wheel bearings and track pads if I want to track this year, so I'm just gonna let it sit in the lot for while and maybe make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 08:26 PM   #32
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Got the car back today and for the first time, I wasn't happy when the engine started up. I don't want to make a rash decision, but it may be time. Had to take out a loan to cover this one.

It still needs wheel bearings and track pads if I want to track this year, so I'm just gonna let it sit in the lot for while and maybe make a decision.
Sorry to hear that. Definitely do what makes the best sense for you financially. Tracking these can't be an easy on the wallet proposition.

This popped up in my YouTube feed today. Gets way into the weeds on fuel additives but may be relevant to m3 ownership

Appreciate 1
Cmassey3415.00
      01-31-2022, 09:56 AM   #33
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
Don't let what you see here totally freak you out. You did basically all the maintenance items that unscrupulous, cheap, or unaware owners put off and eventually park the car. Quite often on forums only the walking wounded are the ones participating. The owners with trouble free ownership are out enjoying their rides.
I say this all the time, you don't ever hear about the people NOT complaining.
Appreciate 4
      02-05-2022, 05:04 PM   #34
sv848evo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Your list is very similar to mine, I've got a 2008 E90 with about 95k miles. Valve covers are next for me, they're starting to seep. This is not a cheap car to own, gotta be willing to DIY or shovel out the $$.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 05:22 PM   #35
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Unless money's no object, you gotta learn to do brakes yourself if you're gonna be going to the track. It's not hard, plenty of instructions on here.
Appreciate 1
Cmassey3415.00
      02-05-2022, 07:58 PM   #36
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
While quite often messy as heck, I actually find brake work pretty satisfying. Granted I've been lucky enough to have avoided things like stripped bleeders and caliper mount bolts so I might sing a different tune after I've ticked that box. But when it's all said and done, it feels good to know something as important as brakes has been done with care by somebody that gives a crap about the car. Not some guy just trying to beat the book by 3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #37
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Consider investing in a quick jack. I say "investing" because in my case it has absolutely paid for itself multiple times over. The money you'll save by DIY'ing some of these jobs is significant, and many of them are not difficult at all. I believe the only job I didn't do myself was the rod bearings. Tons of well written DIY guides on the forums and youtube nowadays.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2022, 02:04 PM   #38
jun_e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Bought my second 5 years ago at 49000 miles. (The first one got hit and scrapped by a bastard) It's 90K now. Except for the connecting rod bearing + motor bracket, the tires and TPMS are all made by a professional shop, and everything else is maintained by myself (about $25K). is my daily driver. That's why I love fan forums. There are tons of well-written DIY guides out there, and I've learned a lot from them, giving me the confidence to complete them. Thank you again for your selfless dedication!

During those 5 years, I did:
Connecting rod bearing + motor bracket
MFactory carbon fiber driveshaft
Universal Flex Disc - Guibo
carbon fiber steering wheel
Akrapovic sliding silencer
B6 Performance shock strut kit
DCT Transmission Repair Kit
idle speed control valve
Fuel tank breather valve
Throttle Actuator x2
Bonnet Gasket Plus Bolt, Spark Plug Tube
spark plug
coolant hose
aFe POWER Magnum FORCE Stage-2Si Pro Dry S
Belts, water pump kit, pulleys, pulleys on both tensioners, upgraded Dinan reduction pulleys
Oil filter housing gasket
ECS Performance front and rear brake kit
ECS front, rear and center SS brake cables
New Fluids - Power Steering / Rear Differential / Brake Fluid
MPorium M3 Aluminum Chassis
Battery
Left and right comfort door handles
Michelin PS2 tires plus TPMS
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #39
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think I'll be able to ride this one out, will be doing my own brakes going forward. My track buddy found a brake shop nearby that has good parts sales.

Next DIY will be the front hubs: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Drivelin...E9X-M3-1M.html

Bimmer World seems to have a good PPU.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 03:33 PM   #40
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
I think I'll be able to ride this one out, will be doing my own brakes going forward. My track buddy found a brake shop nearby that has good parts sales.

Next DIY will be the front hubs: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Drivelin...E9X-M3-1M.html

Good luck, friend, my front left brake pad broke, now I am about to go broke doing brakes, poetic...
Appreciate 1
Cmassey3415.00
      02-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #41
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Here's a good DIY I used -

If you're going to track, I'd go the FCP Euro route (https://www.bimmerworld.com/Drivelin...E9X-M3-1M.html) or find something cheap on RockAuto. I got both front wheel hubs for $60 from RockAuto.

The reason for going the cheapest route is that there are upgraded wheel hubs with pressed in studs that you might want to switch to in the future.
      02-10-2022, 11:34 AM   #42
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
While you're replacing the wheel hubs, might as well replace all the control arms as well. DIY is at

Evolve has a video on the control arm refresh with how to check the bushings -