BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

07-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #1145
Rod_R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
FWIW,

I think the behavior of Carplay will refuse to use the BT properly. Apple will use "Carplay" as the output for Siri/Navgiation and from what I can tell that is how ACP operates. I'll read more up on the Carplay developer notes but I think no matter what using the AUX is the only way to get seamless Siri/Navigation that is consistent.
I Derbo,

Thanks for the heads up but I'm an Android guy which is why I was asking them specifically about android support I have a S9+. This was the reason why I was steering away from V1 as android users don't have wireless support which they pointed out but said it has the best audio.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #1146
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_R View Post
I Derbo,

Thanks for the heads up but I'm an Android guy which is why I was asking them specifically about android support I have a S9+. This was the reason why I was steering away from V1 as android users don't have wireless support which they pointed out but said it has the best audio.
To be honest, I think wired seems to be the most consistent anyways. When you WANT to connect to the car, you physically do it. No fuss about waiting for WiFi to connect, or BT to pair.

The quad-lock connector is the only concern if you have one already from the emulator. If you don't, then V1 seems to be the way go.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #1147
Rod_R
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, I think wired seems to be the most consistent anyways. When you WANT to connect to the car, you physically do it. No fuss about waiting for WiFi to connect, or BT to pair.

The quad-lock connector is the only concern if you have one already from the emulator. If you don't, then V1 seems to be the way go.
When I installed emulator I tapped into the existing harness I didn't buy the cable assembly from the vendor. I can figure it out no problem though. I just liked not having to plug in the phone in, although I do have to do it in my Toyota Sequoia with the Pioneer Nav unit I installed with Android Auto. I guess I'm spoiled with the current setup stock setup via Bluetooth streaming music and nav instructions which was the reason for the combox upgrade in the first place. I have the one of the ProClips setups so the phone it at the height of the Nav screen and its wireless charging. Just would have liked it all in one which I didn't have to plug in more of a convenience person now (I know A.K.A. lazy), but like you mentioned there are trade offs. Was a installer long long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #1148
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
When I installed emulator I tapped into the existing harness I didn't buy the cable assembly from the vendor. I can figure it out no problem though. I just liked not having to plug in the phone in, although I do have to do it in my Toyota Sequoia with the Pioneer Nav unit I installed with Android Auto. I guess I'm spoiled with the current setup stock setup via Bluetooth streaming music and nav instructions which was the reason for the combox upgrade in the first place. I have the one of the ProClips setups so the phone it at the height of the Nav screen and its wireless charging. Just would have liked it all in one which I didn't have to plug in more of a convenience person now (I know A.K.A. lazy), but like you mentioned there are trade offs. Was a installer long long time ago.

Hey no worries! I thought I mention it cause I didn't know your background and just wanted to make sure.

Just to be clear, for our iPhones, we ARE using Wireless Carplay. It's the module that is connected to the AUX not the phone itself. The phone itself can still use the same mount and wireless charger to keep it going.

The behavior of V2 is that it is "possible" it can do wireless ACP via BT without plugging the module into the AUX port. That said, it was ambitious and Apple doesn't seem to want to accept their commands properly to switch all the time. This led brettcp and I to revert back to the AUX audio for the output of the module. We are still using wireless carplay.

That said, I'm not sure if V1 does wireless AA? It seems in the description in your message that it does not. If that is the case, I would get V2, and wiring it up to use the AUX and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 06:31 PM   #1149
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Has anyone have this?
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...o-mmi-retrofit
Still need to upgrade to CCC, but if it isn't as compromising and the audio quality is good then it could be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 06:56 PM   #1150
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Has anyone have this?
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...o-mmi-retrofit
Still need to upgrade to CCC, but if it isn't as compromising and the audio quality is good then it could be worth it.
Looks like you need CIC to get this to work.

Quote:
For maximum convenience, control and navigate between apps with your vehicle's built-in controls. BimmerTech’s Android Auto MMI Prime upgrade is compatible with E-series and F-series (only 5 / 6 / 7 and X3 - Series) cars with CIC iDrive systems. Its additional feature is CarPlay functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #1151
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Quote:
Looks like you need CIC to get this to work.
I'll eventually upgrade, but wondering if anyone has this and how well it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #1152
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
I'll eventually upgrade, but wondering if anyone has this and how well it works.
Box looks identical to far cheaper units on AliExpress (like a third of the price).

There are a bunch of CCC compatible units on Ali that would be worth a look, wireless Android Auto isn’t as common as wireless CP though.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #1153
LT2424E90M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90 2009

can anyone with a Kremersino help me out with my back up camera install???

if any of you have installed a camera did you have to use a relay??

i used a voltmeter to check hoe much juice i was getting to the circuit and i got a reading

of 11.5 to 12.5 without any video on the screen, just black screen... i checked all my

settings and even tried a second camera...

any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #1154
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT2424E90M3 View Post
can anyone with a Kremersino help me out with my back up camera install???

if any of you have installed a camera did you have to use a relay??

i used a voltmeter to check hoe much juice i was getting to the circuit and i got a reading

of 11.5 to 12.5 without any video on the screen, just black screen... i checked all my

settings and even tried a second camera...

any help would be appreciated.
I use the kremersino unit, and have a backup camera.. but in the carplay settings I have my backup camera set to use the factory camera system, so it switches to the original BMW interface for my backup camera, then switches back to carplay once I take the car out of reverse, works great.. but you do have to set that option in the carplay settings. No relay in my case.

Now that I think about it, I do remember troubleshooting trying to get the backup camera to work with the carplay interface, but would just get a black screen every time. Michael from kremersino thought its something to do with the cameras we use here in the US (NTSC vs PAL I believe), I was never able to get it work with the carplay interface.. but the auto-switching to the BMW interface/auto-switching back to carplay works great.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #1155
LT2424E90M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

brettcp,

thanks for the reply, did you get an emulator to get the camera working on the factory setting?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #1156
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
brettcp,

thanks for the reply, did you get an emulator to get the camera working on the factory setting?

thanks in advance
Yes, I used this process/parts for mine, works great:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #1157
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
There are several advantages to using the carplay backup camera functionality over the factory CIC system. I have a factory camera in my E70 w/ cic and aftermarket in both E90 w/ cic.

For E90 with aftermarket camera and carplay, no emulator/coding is needed, carplay adds dynamic parking lines, the carplay boots up faster than a CIC and the image is full screen with a small PDC overlay on the side of the screen.

I have not tested the carplay powering the camera as my car already had a relay from an earlier backup camera system. I have noticed some of the aftermarket cameras don't work well with less than 12.5 volts. This happens when using direct power from the reverse lights which is less than 12v. Hence the need for the relay.

Last edited by smass; 08-05-2020 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #1158
LT2424E90M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

thanks for all the input

ill try the relay method first and if that doesn't work ill try the emulator.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #1159
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
There are several advantages to using the carplay backup camera functionality over the factory CIC system. I have a factory camera in my E70 w/ cic and aftermarket in both E90 w/ cic.

For E90 with aftermarket camera and carplay, no emulator/coding is needed, carplay adds dynamic parking lines, the carplay boots up faster than a CIC and the image is full screen with a small PDC overlay on the side of the screen.

I have not tested the carplay powering the camera as my car already had a relay from an earlier backup camera system. I have noticed some of the aftermarket cameras don't work well with less than 12.5 volts. This happens when using direct power from the reverse lights which is less than 12v. Hence the need for the relay.
That's interesting, I'm supposed to receive the new cable from kremersino tomorrow (which connects to the OEM mic) so maybe when I have it all apart I'll try using the backup cam via carplay instead of the factory setup. I had only tried when I first got the carplay box, about 8 months ago, at which point it did not work and Michael said they'd try to address it in a software update. I didn't try it again after the software update.

It does seem that the factory setup cam displays instantly, and doesn't seem to require that the CIC system is fully booted up before it displays the backup camera.

I didn't realize the carplay unit had PDC overlay.. will have to check it out, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #1160
LT2424E90M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

i waiting for my 4 pin 12v relay to arrive from Amazon to install with my rear view camera, i bought two different cameras and neither one was displaying from the hook up to the carplay system with reverse light power and trigger. i tried altering the set up in kremersino settings from protocol to hardware with no success. i also tried the different power leads from the carplay unit connected from the video in plug, one said backup + and the other ccc 12V +. neither one would boot my camera.. i had my camera connected to rear back up light + and -.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #1161
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i waiting for my 4 pin 12v relay to arrive from Amazon to install with my rear view camera, i bought two different cameras and neither one was displaying from the hook up to the carplay system with reverse light power and trigger. i tried altering the set up in kremersino settings from protocol to hardware with no success. i also tried the different power leads from the carplay unit connected from the video in plug, one said backup + and the other ccc 12V +. neither one would boot my camera.. i had my camera connected to rear back up light + and -.
Does anybody in the US have their backup camera working with the kremersino carplay box (using the carplay backup camera interface)?

Last edited by brettcp; 08-08-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #1162
Rod_R
United_States
Rep

Well, I got my order in for the V2 ($318 USD) As I wanted wireless Android Auto and brettcp mentioned he did the leg work on the audio side of things and got decent sound. Ordered on 8/3 and got it at 5PM on 8/7 was getting kinda of worried as the tracking number was incorrect and not found via DHL (No additional cost on shipping) so that was nice of them. Anyway it did come with the new harness (mic splitter). One thing was weird. The silkscreen on the case (I'm sure its re-branding) but through me off. Going to try to get to it this weekend. Will try to run the rear camera thru the system just for the heck of it. Like brettcp running the same emulator from the thread he posted. I got duped the first time and bought the emulator with the qurdra lock and didn't work (others had the same experience) bought the correct emulator (fewer wires) and no issues.

Found the website. But it mentions DSP . Too funny but I'm missing the quadra lock but dont need it per the new instructions posted on the V2. the cases are pretty much the same so they probably ran out .

https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/p...dia-interface/

Last edited by Rod_R; 08-07-2020 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:56 PM   #1163
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Well, I got my order in for the V2 ($318 USD) As I wanted wireless Android Auto and brettcp mentioned he did the leg work on the audio side of things and got decent sound.
Interested to hear how it works with wireless Android Auto. So far everyone has been a car play user.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #1164
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Interested to hear how it works with wireless Android Auto. So far everyone has been a car play user.
I picked up a Pixel 3 XL to test android auto, posted about it in this thread several pages back.. it worked OK, but overall didn't feel nearly as polished as carplay does.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #1165
Rod_R
United_States
Rep

Have a question for those of you that installed the V2 version. Did you have a flickering of the screen when you first installed it. I have the screen size set correctly 8.8 switch (up, up,dn,up) but it flickers like crazy when I switch over to the V2 not sure where the refresh rate settings are as that seems to be the issue. I found something under Setup>Advanced>Display Setting. But you can only change 1,2,3,4,... (currently set to <1> no documentation of what those setting are. its fine when you switch back to the stock side of things.

Last edited by Rod_R; 08-08-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #1166
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
I picked up a Pixel 3 XL to test android auto, posted about it in this thread several pages back.. it worked OK, but overall didn't feel nearly as polished as carplay does.
Oh I'll check, was it on Android 10? There have been alot of improvements in recent months.
Appreciate 0